    own codecs."

    Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
    with support for everything...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 1, 2005

  2. T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
    >with support for everything...

    I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
    (significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
    the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
    HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 1, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    PC Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    > D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    > this:
    >
    >>Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
    >>with support for everything...

    > I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
    > (significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
    > the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
    > HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.

    And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.

    Why?

    It has a memorable name.
    It is more obviously the 'next generation' of optical drive.

    Just my 2c

    Paul.
    PC, Oct 1, 2005
  4. T'was the Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:02:52 +1200 when I remembered "PC"
    <> saying something like this:

    >And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.
    >
    >Why?
    >
    >It has a memorable name.

    I thought Betamax sounded cooler than VHS.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 1, 2005
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ross Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:02:52 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >"Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    >> T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    >> D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    >> this:
    >>
    >>>Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
    >>>with support for everything...

    >> I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
    >> (significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
    >> the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
    >> HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Waylon Kenning.

    >And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.
    >
    >Why?
    >
    >It has a memorable name.
    >It is more obviously the 'next generation' of optical drive.
    >
    >Just my 2c
    >
    >Paul.

    And Geoworks had a better name than Windows 3.1
    Ross, Oct 2, 2005
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 15:11:20 +1300, Ross wrote:

    > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:02:52 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    >>> T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    >>> D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    >>> this:

    >>> I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
    >>> (significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
    >>> the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
    >>> HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Waylon Kenning.

    >>And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.
    >>
    >>Why?
    >>
    >>It has a memorable name.
    >>It is more obviously the 'next generation' of optical drive.
    >>
    >>Just my 2c
    >>
    >>Paul.

    > And Geoworks had a better name than Windows 3.1

    Still got a copy of Geoworks in the cupboard - cost mega-bucks when
    new:)

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 2, 2005
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    A Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:05:20 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    >D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    >this:
    >
    >>Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
    >>with support for everything...

    >I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
    >(significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
    >the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
    >HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.

    Both HP & Dell were also DVD+ only supporters too but DVD+ didn't win
    the battle (I would consider it a tie). Will we end up seeing
    Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid machines like the DVD+/- standard now?
    A, Oct 2, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    A <> wrote:

    >Will we end up seeing
    >Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid machines like the DVD+/- standard now?

    Some think this is inevitable.

    Think about it, though: imagine a device that has to be able to read
    _and_ write Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW, with 3
    separate lasers for handling 5 different format families? Might be a bit
    unwieldy.

    But then, if there is the demand, it will be made and sold...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 2, 2005
  9. T'was the Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:08:21 +1300 when I remembered A
    <> saying something like this:

    >Will we end up seeing
    >Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid machines like the DVD+/- standard now?

    Samsung have said that if no one wins, they'll release a combo drive.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 3, 2005