Intel joins forces with the Evil Empire?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. Peter Huebner, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:43:29 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:42:03 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/AMD_files_antitrust_lawsuit_against_Intel_in
    >>_US_federal_district_court
    >>
    >>or
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/84whn
    >>
    >>Some mindboggling allegations made by AMD against Intel. If any of that
    >>pans out .....
    >>
    >>-Peter

    > There were a few eyebrows raised when Apple announced that it would
    > switch exclusively to Intel x86 processors to run Mac OS software
    > beginning in 2006.

    Wasnt there some anti-trust issues in Japan where Intel was fined or some
    such?
    And this lawsuit is just AMD taking the Japanese decision to US courts?

    actually I will look this up and post back later (if someone doesnt beat
    me to it:)

    Shane, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Peter Huebner

    Shane Guest

    *snip*

    ah here we go (thanking google:)
    http://news.com.com/Japan antitrust watchdog bites Intel/2100-7341_3-5603204.html
    ^^^ back in march

    http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,121625,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp
    ^^28 June
    AMD's litigation follows a recent antitrust investigation of Intel by the Fair
    Trade Commission of Japan (JFTC). In March, the JFTC found that Intel had
    abused its monopoly power to exclude fair and open competition in the
    Japanese microprocessor market. The result was to substantially restrain
    competition, the JFTC says.

    Intel's Japanese subsidiary agreed in April to refrain from several types of
    business practices, although it also said it disagreed with the JFTC's
    findings.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD-Intel_Full_Complaint.pdf
    http://tinyurl.com/anuab

    ^^ if you want the pdf of the full suit

    Shane, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Peter Huebner

    thing Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/AMD_files_antitrust_lawsuit_against_Intel_in
    > _US_federal_district_court
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/84whn
    >
    > Some mindboggling allegations made by AMD against Intel. If any of that
    > pans out .....
    >
    > -Peter

    For AMD to go to court I would think they would want as far as practical
    a water tight case....looks like they may have it....

    I hope if its proved true, Intel gets well and truly rolled....(unlike
    the MS anti-trust case ending that turned into a joke).

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Peter Huebner

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    >> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/AMD_files_antitrust_lawsuit_against_Intel_in
    >> _US_federal_district_court
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/84whn
    >>
    >> Some mindboggling allegations made by AMD against Intel. If any of
    >> that pans out .....
    >>
    >> -Peter

    > For AMD to go to court I would think they would want as far as practical
    > a water tight case....looks like they may have it....
    >
    > I hope if its proved true, Intel gets well and truly rolled....(unlike
    > the MS anti-trust case ending that turned into a joke).
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    It all casts even further doubt on the Trusted Computing Platform initiative.
    Trusted by whom?, to do what?.

    Roger_Nickel, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Peter Huebner

    thing Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/AMD_files_antitrust_lawsuit_against_Intel_in
    >>> _US_federal_district_court
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/84whn
    >>>
    >>> Some mindboggling allegations made by AMD against Intel. If any of
    >>> that pans out .....
    >>>
    >>> -Peter

    >> For AMD to go to court I would think they would want as far as
    >> practical a water tight case....looks like they may have it....
    >>
    >> I hope if its proved true, Intel gets well and truly rolled....(unlike
    >> the MS anti-trust case ending that turned into a joke).
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > It all casts even further doubt on the Trusted Computing Platform
    > initiative. Trusted by whom?, to do what?.

    stitch consumers up.....nothing more nothing less.

    All they will really do if they succeed is stitch US consumers up IMHO,
    and maybe a few other 1st world countries for a while.

    In reality Asia and China wont go their way, they will opt out. All I
    can see happening is a divide, either you are on the "legal" side and
    have "legit" movies at high prices, OR you are forced to buy all
    "illegal" movies at low prices, in many cases this is all the third
    world can afford.....So a huge market will disappear and eventually the
    "legit" market will collapse and the paradigm shift will be complete.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 4, 2005
  8. thing wrote:
    > In reality Asia and China wont go their way, they will opt out. All I
    > can see happening is a divide, either you are on the "legal" side and
    > have "legit" movies at high prices, OR you are forced to buy all
    > "illegal" movies at low prices, in many cases this is all the third
    > world can afford.....So a huge market will disappear and eventually the
    > "legit" market will collapse and the paradigm shift will be complete.....

    I'd like to get my hands on one of the Chinese developed Dragon CPUs and
    motherboards... it would be interesting to see what they have
    accomplished in such a small amount of time(comparitivly).

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 4, 2005
  9. Peter Huebner

    BrianM Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:15:10 +1200, Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > thing wrote:
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/AMD_files_antitrust_lawsuit_against_Intel_in
    >>> _US_federal_district_court
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/84whn
    >>>
    >>> Some mindboggling allegations made by AMD against Intel. If any of
    >>> that pans out .....
    >>>
    >>> -Peter

    >> For AMD to go to court I would think they would want as far as
    >> practical a water tight case....looks like they may have it....
    >>
    >> I hope if its proved true, Intel gets well and truly rolled....(unlike
    >> the MS anti-trust case ending that turned into a joke).
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > It all casts even further doubt on the Trusted Computing Platform
    > initiative. Trusted by whom?, to do what?.

    Same tar, same brush

    cheers
    BrianM

    BrianM, Jul 4, 2005
  10. Peter Huebner

    thing Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> In reality Asia and China wont go their way, they will opt out. All I
    >> can see happening is a divide, either you are on the "legal" side and
    >> have "legit" movies at high prices, OR you are forced to buy all
    >> "illegal" movies at low prices, in many cases this is all the third
    >> world can afford.....So a huge market will disappear and eventually
    >> the "legit" market will collapse and the paradigm shift will be
    >> complete.....

    > I'd like to get my hands on one of the Chinese developed Dragon CPUs and
    > motherboards... it would be interesting to see what they have
    > accomplished in such a small amount of time(comparitivly).

    VIA have a 486+ cpu thing, it is supposed to be pretty decent....

    China seems to want to do hardware and it wants India to do the
    software, now that would be one axis to watch....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 4, 2005
  11. Peter Huebner

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:24:52 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> I'd like to get my hands on one of the Chinese developed Dragon CPUs and
    >> motherboards... it would be interesting to see what they have
    >> accomplished in such a small amount of time(comparitivly).
    >>

    > VIA have a 486+ cpu thing, it is supposed to be pretty decent....

    Do you mean the EPIA stuff? I suppose a 1 GHz 486 would be quite a good
    way of describing it. ie it has no out of order execution operation etc.
    Although it does have niftily fast encryption processing abilities.

    Handy little cpus for those that don't require tons of processing power.
    And well suited to cheap computers for developing economies.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 4, 2005
  12. Hi there,

    AD. wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:24:52 +1200, thing wrote:
    >

    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd like to get my hands on one of the Chinese developed Dragon CPUs and
    >>>motherboards... it would be interesting to see what they have
    >>>accomplished in such a small amount of time(comparitivly).
    >>>

    >>VIA have a 486+ cpu thing, it is supposed to be pretty decent....

    > Do you mean the EPIA stuff? I suppose a 1 GHz 486 would be quite a good
    > way of describing it. ie it has no out of order execution operation etc.
    > Although it does have niftily fast encryption processing abilities.
    >
    > Handy little cpus for those that don't require tons of processing power.
    > And well suited to cheap computers for developing economies.

    Steve Ballmer wanted a sub-$100 computer didn't he? It might be
    possible with such technology, but the price of Windows licences
    would perhaps rule out Windows as the OS to populate those cheap
    PC's...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 4, 2005
  13. Peter Huebner

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:56:52 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:24:52 +1200, thing wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> I'd like to get my hands on one of the Chinese developed Dragon CPUs
    >>> and motherboards... it would be interesting to see what they have
    >>> accomplished in such a small amount of time(comparitivly).
    >>>

    >> VIA have a 486+ cpu thing, it is supposed to be pretty decent....

    > Do you mean the EPIA stuff? I suppose a 1 GHz 486 would be quite a good
    > way of describing it. ie it has no out of order execution operation etc.
    > Although it does have niftily fast encryption processing abilities.
    >
    > Handy little cpus for those that don't require tons of processing power.
    > And well suited to cheap computers for developing economies.

    Plus, I believe, they run very cool.
    Pity about VIA, they joined the TCPA as well.

    cheers
    BrianM

    BrianM, Jul 5, 2005
  14. In article <42c8f254$>, thing <> wrote:

    >VIA have a 486+ cpu thing, it is supposed to be pretty decent....

    That's the one that has an on-board hardware random number generator, I
    believe.

    There's a standard API for accessing it via Linux, not sure about
    Dimdows...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 12, 2005
  15. In article <42c9a6d9$>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >Steve Ballmer wanted a sub-$100 computer didn't he? It might be
    >possible with such technology, but the price of Windows licences
    >would perhaps rule out Windows as the OS to populate those cheap
    >PC's...

    The Indians are a substantial part of the way there (USD230), and yes,
    it uses Linux instead of Dimdows
    <http://news.com.com/Indian firm unveils low-cost Linux-based PCs/2100-10
    42_3-5701552.html> ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 12, 2005