    I put a PCI display card into a system with the i815 chipset which
    already had an onboard display adapter, and the PCI card could not
    start. Is this because the i815 does prevent use of external display cards?

    SchoolTech, Feb 27, 2006

  2. SchoolTech

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:27:14 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >Rumour has it that these chipsets will not permit any kind of secondary
    >display adapter to be installed in a PC.

    I don't think so, why would some of them have an agp slot?

    >I put a PCI display card into a system with the i815 chipset which
    >already had an onboard display adapter, and the PCI card could not
    >start. Is this because the i815 does prevent use of external display cards?

    What mobo?

    Bret, Feb 28, 2006

  3. "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Rumour has it that these chipsets will not permit any kind of secondary
    > display adapter to be installed in a PC.
    >
    > I put a PCI display card into a system with the i815 chipset which already
    > had an onboard display adapter, and the PCI card could not start. Is this
    > because the i815 does prevent use of external display cards?

    That is certainly not true for the i815 chipset.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Feb 28, 2006
  4. SchoolTech

    -=rjh=- Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Rumour has it that these chipsets will not permit any kind of secondary
    > display adapter to be installed in a PC.
    >
    > I put a PCI display card into a system with the i815 chipset which
    > already had an onboard display adapter, and the PCI card could not
    > start. Is this because the i815 does prevent use of external display cards?

    No. I have here a Compaq system with Intel Solano 815E chipset; it runs
    fine with two monitors both on a PCI Radeon 7500. I don't use the
    onboard graphics, but Windows knows it is there. I suppose I should use
    it, 3 monitors is better than two.

    Maybe it depends on the specific PCI adapter you are using, or the
    specific m/b, but it works fine here.

    -=rjh=-, Feb 28, 2006
  5. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:27:14 +1300, SchoolTech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Rumour has it that these chipsets will not permit any kind of secondary
    >> display adapter to be installed in a PC.

    > I don't think so, why would some of them have an agp slot?

    Well maybe for those that don't have onboard video. Then you can still
    only use 1 display adapter.

    I wouldn't know as the only ones I have seen use onboard video.

    >> I put a PCI display card into a system with the i815 chipset which
    >> already had an onboard display adapter, and the PCI card could not
    >> start. Is this because the i815 does prevent use of external display cards?

    > What mobo?

    It's a Compaq motherboard in a Compaq case.
    The model is Deskpro EN (Small Form Factor)
    ENS/P800/10E/6/128

    This was something I heard but it appeared to be confirmed by the
    refusal to allow the PCI card to start. Maybe it is a BIOS limitation?

    Intel claim with their latest drivers it fixes the problem.
    http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel815/sb/CS-009149.htm

    OTOH this is a fairly old PCI card (Cirrus 5446) so maybe it is the problem.

    SchoolTech, Feb 28, 2006
  6. SchoolTech

    -=rjh=- Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Bret wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:27:14 +1300, SchoolTech
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rumour has it that these chipsets will not permit any kind of
    >>> secondary display adapter to be installed in a PC.

    >> I don't think so, why would some of them have an agp slot?

    > Well maybe for those that don't have onboard video. Then you can still
    > only use 1 display adapter.
    >
    > I wouldn't know as the only ones I have seen use onboard video.
    >

    >>> I put a PCI display card into a system with the i815 chipset which
    >>> already had an onboard display adapter, and the PCI card could not
    >>> start. Is this because the i815 does prevent use of external display
    >>> cards?

    >> What mobo?

    > It's a Compaq motherboard in a Compaq case.
    > The model is Deskpro EN (Small Form Factor)
    > ENS/P800/10E/6/128

    That's exactly the model I have (but P667) and refer to it in my other
    post. Runs a PCI card just fine, without disabling the onboard video.

    Have you tried seeing what happens when you specify which adapter is the
    primary adapter in the BIOS? Or disable the onboard video?

    I'd also suggest you try another, newer PCI card. If you are trying this
    to get dual monitors, a lot of older cards won't do this.

    -=rjh=-, Feb 28, 2006
  7. SchoolTech

    MarkH Guest

    SchoolTech <> wrote in

    > Rumour has it that these chipsets will not permit any kind of
    > secondary display adapter to be installed in a PC.
    >
    > I put a PCI display card into a system with the i815 chipset which
    > already had an onboard display adapter, and the PCI card could not
    > start. Is this because the i815 does prevent use of external display
    > cards?

    I have had this issue on one of my 815 M/Boards. It worked fine though
    when I set the primary card to the PCI one.

    If I install an AGP card the onboard one is disabled, because the onboard
    video uses the AGP bus. But if I connect a PCI card and set the PCI card
    to be the primary video (in the BIOS) then both the PCI and the onboard
    video work fine.

    In my case the M/Board is an ASUS CUSL2 which uses the Intel 815 chipset.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Feb 28, 2006
  8. SchoolTech

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:07:26 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:27:14 +1300, SchoolTech
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rumour has it that these chipsets will not permit any kind of secondary
    >>> display adapter to be installed in a PC.

    >> I don't think so, why would some of them have an agp slot?

    >Well maybe for those that don't have onboard video. Then you can still
    >only use 1 display adapter.

    Never seen one without onboard video.

    Bret, Feb 28, 2006
  9. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> Bret wrote:

    >>> I don't think so, why would some of them have an agp slot?

    >> Well maybe for those that don't have onboard video. Then you can still
    >> only use 1 display adapter.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't know as the only ones I have seen use onboard video.

    >>> What mobo?

    >> It's a Compaq motherboard in a Compaq case.
    >> The model is Deskpro EN (Small Form Factor)
    >> ENS/P800/10E/6/128
    >>

    > That's exactly the model I have (but P667) and refer to it in my other
    > post. Runs a PCI card just fine, without disabling the onboard video.
    >
    > Have you tried seeing what happens when you specify which adapter is the
    > primary adapter in the BIOS? Or disable the onboard video?
    >
    > I'd also suggest you try another, newer PCI card. If you are trying this
    > to get dual monitors, a lot of older cards won't do this.

    Yes, I remember now. You have to set the Bios to allow the PCI card to
    start first in some cases, otherwise it won't work at all.

    I have got a Trio64 to work on a P3 before, so it has a reasonable
    chance of success.

    Thanks.

    SchoolTech, Feb 28, 2006