    two or more cores active. Is there some significance to the 1-2 CPU
    on the label?
    Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    Barry, Aug 30, 2010

  2. Barry wrote:
    > I have just installed Windows XP Pro 1-2 CPU on a new computer
    > with an i5 750.
    > It blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN_OR_EQUAL) instal
    > until I told it to use only one core. Now Windows will not run with
    > two or more cores active. Is there some significance to the 1-2 CPU
    > on the label?
    > Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

    More klews:
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1372259&page=1

    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 30, 2010

  3. Barry

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:32:38 +1000, Barry wrote:

    > I have just installed Windows XP Pro 1-2 CPU on a new computer with an
    > i5 750.
    > It blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN_OR_EQUAL) instal until I told it to
    > use only one core. Now Windows will not run with two or more cores
    > active. Is there some significance to the 1-2 CPU on the label?
    > Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    Find someone that knows a little about computers to reinstall XP for you.

    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2010
  4. Barry

    Tony Guest

    You need to slipstream sp2 or sp3 into the windows xp cd. Likely the
    motherboard won't function with anything less than windows xp sp2.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Aug 30, 2010
  5. Barry

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:29:47 -0500, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Barry mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> I have just installed Windows XP Pro 1-2 CPU on a new computer with an
    >> i5 750.
    >> It blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN_OR_EQUAL) instal until I told it
    >> to use only one core. Now Windows will not run with two or more cores
    >> active. Is there some significance to the 1-2 CPU on the label?
    >> Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    > Yes, the 1-2 label refers to the fact that it is licensed for a machine
    > with 1 or 2 physical processors, not the number of cores. If you enabled
    > a second processor, rather than a core, no wonder it won't run.

    Jeez thanks for clearing up that mumble. I read this on half a cup of
    coffee this morning and it didn't make much sense.

    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2010
  6. Barry

    Guest

    Barry <> wrote:

    >I have just installed Windows XP Pro 1-2 CPU on a new computer
    >with an i5 750.
    >It blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN_OR_EQUAL) instal
    >until I told it to use only one core.

    >Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    I kinda ran into the same thing with the i7-930.

    My normal XPro shows one core, running the P4 showed 2 cores (one core + one
    thread)

    Run XPro 64 bit.
    --

    abandoned places
    http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/abandoned-places.html

    , Aug 31, 2010
  7. Barry

    Barry Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:04:53 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:32:38 +1000, Barry wrote:
    >
    >> I have just installed Windows XP Pro 1-2 CPU on a new computer with an
    >> i5 750.
    >> It blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN_OR_EQUAL) instal until I told it to
    >> use only one core. Now Windows will not run with two or more cores
    >> active. Is there some significance to the 1-2 CPU on the label?
    >> Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    >Find someone that knows a little about computers to reinstall XP for you.

    I was just about to try a different copy of XP Pro but now it is
    working.
    However, I have two by 2 gig RAM but bios and Windows show only
    2 gigs total.
    Googling shows many people with the same thing but so far no fixes.

    Barry, Sep 1, 2010
  8. Barry

    Barry Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:07:44 -0400, Tony <>
    wrote:

    >Barry wrote:
    >
    >> I have just installed Windows XP Pro 1-2 CPU on a new computer
    >> with an i5 750.
    >> It blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN_OR_EQUAL) instal
    >> until I told it to use only one core. Now Windows will not run with
    >> two or more cores active. Is there some significance to the 1-2 CPU
    >> on the label?
    >> Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    >You need to slipstream sp2 or sp3 into the windows xp cd. Likely the
    >motherboard won't function with anything less than windows xp sp2.

    Thanks. I now have sp3 and it is working with all 4 cores enabled.
    However it is only showing 2 gigs RAM even though it has 2 x 2 gig
    installed.
    From \ I see that is the same for a lot of people but I have
    yet to find a reason.

    What is the significance of the 1-2 CPU on the label?

    Barry, Sep 1, 2010
  9. Barry

    Barry Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Barry mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> I have just installed Windows XP Pro 1-2 CPU on a new computer
    >> with an i5 750.
    >> It blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN_OR_EQUAL) instal
    >> until I told it to use only one core. Now Windows will not run with
    >> two or more cores active. Is there some significance to the 1-2 CPU
    >> on the label?
    >> Is there a workaround or must I use a different OS?

    >Yes, the 1-2 label refers to the fact that it is licensed for a
    >machine with 1 or 2 physical processors, not the number of cores.
    >If you enabled a second processor, rather than a core, no wonder
    >it won't run.

    It has a single CPU.

    Barry, Sep 3, 2010