    Jex Guest

    Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel EM64T
    computer?

    Jex, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 8, 2005

  3. Jex

    Josef Gonko Guest

    Many more advantages than just that!

    1) Its necessary to effectively use more than 3GB of memory (32-bit boot.ini
    /PAE switch isn't all that efffective).
    2) You're on the forefront of what will be the OS standard of the future.
    3) You'll quickly learn which companies fully support their peripherals and
    those that expect you to buy their newest card or printer just to get your
    money (of course, you dump the latter companies and let everyone know about
    it too).
    4) Complex apps and games will soon take advantage of the huge memory model
    and larger registers.

    Josef Gonko, Nov 9, 2005
  4. But are you sure Jex wants or even can afford that power or even need it?
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Are you asking if it is better to install x64 on an Intel versus an AMD
    processor? I prefer the AMD64 Athlon x2 line over the Intels. AMD
    pioneered x86 compatible 64-bit cpu's.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Notice how I ducked that...:)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2005
  7. To be honest, I don't think its about pioneering, its really about value for
    money and meeting high volume requirements. Intel delivers that and they
    know the market and they when users are ready for something. Although I'm
    disappointed that they did not pioneer it along with AMD.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 9, 2005
  8. Jex

    Jex Guest

    Thanks everyone

    I got EM64 hardware
    The problem now is that I can not boot using Windows 2003 64-bit CD ROM

    I got 32-bit Windows XP on the same machine, when I insert the Windows 2003
    64-bit CD ROM under that Windows XP I got "not valid 32 bit application"
    error message, but I can brows the CD. But I can not boot from it

    Jex, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Jex

    Mercury Guest

    [base on the assumption that you don't have 64 bit h/w].

    Send the kit and kaboodle back - insist that they supply you with a usable
    64bit system or refund.

    IMO, intel has shuffled there product codes into such a randomised,
    senseless, and illogical naming convention that it invites wrong purchases.
    Because they make this invitation, they should bear the cost and
    repurcussions. I suspect strongly that this is a major deterrent for many to
    buying Intel h/w - just what do you get & if the shop has 1 digit wrong
    somewhere and you don't notice your hosed.

    With AMD it is hugely clearer what to get and what not to get.

    Intel has Celeron D and Pentium D. Now whats the difference?

    Mercury, Nov 12, 2005
  10. Jex

    Mercury Guest

    In IT, being a year late is a complete no show.

    2 Years and they still aren't back in the market as they should be.

    There are positive and interesting signs though - but still 6 months at
    least out.

    Mercury, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Plopppppp! :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005
  12. Jex

    Jex Guest

    OMG

    But, on the same machine, I managed to boot with Windows XP 64-bit and
    reached GUI Mode but I didn't complete the instillation

    Jex, Nov 12, 2005