Intel Core Solo Processor: Is it Fast Enough?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jim F B, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Jim F B

    Jim F B Guest

    I see that several of the new laptops incorporate either the Intel Core Solo
    Processor or the Intel Core Duo Processor. Does anyone have any experience
    with using the core solo processor? Would the core duo processor be all that
    much faster and efficient? The Core Solo processor (1.66GHz) is used, for
    example, in the new Toshiba Satellite M100 notebook, which is currently
    priced at about $2,000.

    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=63734

    To get the core duo processor in the new Toshiba series, there is the
    Toshiba Satellite A100 notebook, which costs about $2,800.

    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=64142

    I guess the new Intel core solo processor TI300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache,
    667MHz FSB) would be the replacement for the equivalent Intel Pentium M
    chip, so I suppose the core solo would be better than the old Pentium M
    series, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used a laptop
    with the core solo processor.

    Regards, Jim

    Jim F B, Mar 5, 2006

  2. Jim F B

    Nova Guest

    Jim F B wrote:
    > I see that several of the new laptops incorporate either the Intel Core Solo
    > Processor or the Intel Core Duo Processor. Does anyone have any experience
    > with using the core solo processor? Would the core duo processor be all that
    > much faster and efficient? The Core Solo processor (1.66GHz) is used, for
    > example, in the new Toshiba Satellite M100 notebook, which is currently
    > priced at about $2,000.
    >
    > http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=63734
    >
    > To get the core duo processor in the new Toshiba series, there is the
    > Toshiba Satellite A100 notebook, which costs about $2,800.
    >
    > http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=64142
    >
    > I guess the new Intel core solo processor TI300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache,
    > 667MHz FSB) would be the replacement for the equivalent Intel Pentium M
    > chip, so I suppose the core solo would be better than the old Pentium M
    > series, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used a laptop
    > with the core solo processor.
    >
    > Regards, Jim

    The subject says "Is it Fast Enough?"

    Well I guess the next question is, is it fast enough for what?
    What do you want to do with the laptop? That is really what you want to
    be asking..

    I don't have any experience with either, I do have a Pentium M 1.6 2 meg
    l2cache, is it fast enough? why yes it is, for what I do on it which
    includes, writing emails, word processing, searching the web, playing
    the odd games now and then etc etc.

    Nova, Mar 6, 2006

  3. Jim F B

    SchoolTech Guest

    Jim F B wrote:
    > I see that several of the new laptops incorporate either the Intel Core Solo
    > Processor or the Intel Core Duo Processor. Does anyone have any experience
    > with using the core solo processor? Would the core duo processor be all that
    > much faster and efficient? The Core Solo processor (1.66GHz) is used, for
    > example, in the new Toshiba Satellite M100 notebook, which is currently
    > priced at about $2,000.

    This is the Prescott replacement CPU. The next generation of desktop
    CPUs will be based on this technology.

    SchoolTech, Mar 6, 2006
  4. Jim F B

    Jim F B Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Jim F B wrote:
    >> I see that several of the new laptops incorporate either the Intel Core
    >> Solo Processor or the Intel Core Duo Processor. Does anyone have any
    >> experience with using the core solo processor? Would the core duo
    >> processor be all that much faster and efficient? The Core Solo processor
    >> (1.66GHz) is used, for example, in the new Toshiba Satellite M100
    >> notebook, which is currently priced at about $2,000.
    >>
    >> http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=63734
    >>
    >> To get the core duo processor in the new Toshiba series, there is the
    >> Toshiba Satellite A100 notebook, which costs about $2,800.
    >>
    >> http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=64142
    >>
    >> I guess the new Intel core solo processor TI300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache,
    >> 667MHz FSB) would be the replacement for the equivalent Intel Pentium M
    >> chip, so I suppose the core solo would be better than the old Pentium M
    >> series, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used a
    >> laptop with the core solo processor.
    >>
    >> Regards, Jim
    >>

    > The subject says "Is it Fast Enough?"
    >
    > Well I guess the next question is, is it fast enough for what?
    > What do you want to do with the laptop? That is really what you want to
    > be asking..
    >
    > I don't have any experience with either, I do have a Pentium M 1.6 2 meg
    > l2cache, is it fast enough? why yes it is, for what I do on it which
    > includes, writing emails, word processing, searching the web, playing the
    > odd games now and then etc etc.

    Yes, very true, but my main question about the new Intel core solo processor
    is whether it is as fast and efficient as the equivalent Pentium M processor
    (couldn't fit all this in the header!). This is very important to buyers
    because there are still many laptops on sale which don't have the new core
    solo or duo processors.

    As the Intel core solo and duo processors are replacing the existing Pentium
    M series, would you agree that it would be better to buy a laptop with one
    of the new processors, particularly if for the same price as a laptop with a
    Pentium M processor, you can now buy a laptop which has either the
    equivalent new core solo or duo processor, and which is (hopefully???)
    faster and more efficient than a laptop with the equivalent Ghz Pentium M
    processor?

    In addition, I would guess that the new processors are more likely to be
    compatible with Microsoft's new Vista operating system and future software
    releases?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx

    I found the information about the new processors on these web sites to be
    useful:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01..._battery_life_for_quicker_response/page9.html

    It's interesting that a core DUO T300 1.66 GHz processor is not a lot dearer
    than a core SOLO 1.66 GHz processor.

    I wonder how Intel's core processors compare with the 64-bit AMD Mobile
    Turion processor?

    Regards, Jim

    Jim F B, Mar 6, 2006
  5. "Jim F B" <> wrote in message news:440b3eff$...
    >I see that several of the new laptops incorporate either the Intel Core
    >Solo Processor or the Intel Core Duo Processor. Does anyone have any
    >experience with using the core solo processor? Would the core duo processor
    >be all that much faster and efficient? The Core Solo processor (1.66GHz) is
    >used, for example, in the new Toshiba Satellite M100 notebook, which is
    >currently priced at about $2,000.
    >
    > http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=63734
    >
    > To get the core duo processor in the new Toshiba series, there is the
    > Toshiba Satellite A100 notebook, which costs about $2,800.
    >
    > http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=64142
    >
    > I guess the new Intel core solo processor TI300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache,
    > 667MHz FSB) would be the replacement for the equivalent Intel Pentium M
    > chip, so I suppose the core solo would be better than the old Pentium M
    > series, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used a
    > laptop with the core solo processor.
    >
    > Regards, Jim

    The next generation notebook technologies are very nicely explained here...

    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2719

    My dell is falling apart and I am plan on somehow keeping it going until the
    merom chips come out. - the lcd is failing , keys are snapping off, 1394
    port is erratic.

    Core solo T1300 is a dinosaur, avoid.

    If you're in no great rush to buy a notebook, wait until the second half of
    2006 for Merom.

    ..... it's this foreknowledge of the Merom chips that serves to really blunt
    enthusiasm for the current Core Duo processors, even though they're
    remarkable in and of themselves. Unfortunately, Merom is truly complete
    technology, while Yonah is more of a transitional stepping stone, and right
    now, we have Yonah....

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 6, 2006
  6. Jim F B

    Jim F B Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > The next generation notebook technologies are very nicely explained
    > here...
    >
    > http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2719

    Thanks, a very good article, but perhaps a little harsh on the Intel Core
    Solo T1300. However, because the prices of the Solo and the Duo are much the
    same, I can't understand why Intel are marketing a core solo at all, can
    anyone explain why Intel would have done this? The prices quoted on
    "Tomshardware" site are $209 for a solo 1.66GHz, and $241 for a duo 1.66GHz.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01..._battery_life_for_quicker_response/page9.html

    > My dell is falling apart and I am plan on somehow keeping it going until
    > the merom chips come out. - the lcd is failing , keys are snapping off,
    > 1394 port is erratic.

    Oh, that's not a very good advertisement for Dell. How old is it, would you
    buy Dell again?

    > Core solo T1300 is a dinosaur, avoid.

    Yes, I can see it will soon be a dinosaur, as will all the existing Pentium
    M series. But it looks as though it would outperform a Pentium M 730 1.60
    GHz, so if you can't wait for the Merom chips, I don't see much wrong with
    it, provided that the laptop is a lot cheaper than one with a core duo
    processor!

    Jim F B, Mar 6, 2006
  7. "Jim F B" <> wrote in message news:440ca07e$...

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> The next generation notebook technologies are very nicely explained
    >> here...
    >>
    >> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2719

    > Thanks, a very good article, but perhaps a little harsh on the Intel Core
    > Solo T1300. However, because the prices of the Solo and the Duo are much
    > the same, I can't understand why Intel are marketing a core solo at all,
    > can anyone explain why Intel would have done this? The prices quoted on
    > "Tomshardware" site are $209 for a solo 1.66GHz, and $241 for a duo
    > 1.66GHz.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01..._battery_life_for_quicker_response/page9.html
    >
    >> My dell is falling apart and I am plan on somehow keeping it going until
    >> the merom chips come out. - the lcd is failing , keys are snapping off,
    >> 1394 port is erratic.
    >>

    > Oh, that's not a very good advertisement for Dell. How old is it, would
    > you buy Dell again?
    >
    >> Core solo T1300 is a dinosaur, avoid.

    > Yes, I can see it will soon be a dinosaur, as will all the existing
    > Pentium M series. But it looks as though it would outperform a Pentium M
    > 730 1.60 GHz, so if you can't wait for the Merom chips, I don't see much
    > wrong with it, provided that the laptop is a lot cheaper than one with a
    > core duo processor!

    True, and there is always something 'better' just around the corner. I had
    wondered whether I should just bite the bullet now but I think I can live
    with the dell for a while longer.

    My dell notebook, is 5 years old and while the application performance is
    still good, everything around around the main components seems to be
    failing. My next notebook will be IBM, they are best of breed for my
    purposes.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 6, 2006
  8. Jim F B

    EMB Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > My dell notebook, is 5 years old and while the application performance is
    > still good, everything around around the main components seems to be
    > failing. My next notebook will be IBM, they are best of breed for my
    > purposes.

    Agreed - the two 3-and-a-bit year old IBM R32's we have are still going
    strong despite having had a fairly hard life, and the 12 month old R52
    hasn't missed a beat.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 7, 2006
  9. In <440ca07e$> Jim F B wrote:

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> The next generation notebook technologies are very nicely explained
    >> here...
    >>
    >> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2719

    > Thanks, a very good article, but perhaps a little harsh on the Intel
    > Core Solo T1300. However, because the prices of the Solo and the Duo
    > are much the same, I can't understand why Intel are marketing a core
    > solo at all, can anyone explain why Intel would have done this? The
    > prices quoted on "Tomshardware" site are $209 for a solo 1.66GHz, and
    > $241 for a duo 1.66GHz.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/16/will_core_duo_notebooks_trade_
    > battery_life_for_quicker_response/page9.html

    I've only heard this second hand, but apparently the Core Solo chips are
    Core Duo chips with one faulty core, which is then disabled. In other
    words Intel doesn't _make_ Core Solos, they just end up with them as
    leftovers.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 8, 2006