Intel Centrino and Dell Notebooks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm trying to find out if the Centrino wireless NIC is built into Dell D800
    & D600 notebooks. I haven't been able get an answer from Dell tech support,
    Dell newsgroup or the Intell website. For Dell D800 notebook or D600
    notebooks do they need an Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Wlan miniPCI Card or is
    wireless built in?

    A reply from the dell newsgroup stated:

    "You can go to Dell's support site and try the reference area. It has a
    exploded view diagram of the D800 and all parts. The wireless card is on
    the right hand side when looking at the laptop as though you're using it.
    There's a small access cover underneath that can be removed. The antennas
    will be a black and white wire, if I remember right, capped by a copper
    connector"

    If another brand of minPC Card wireles NIC is installed in the notebook will
    it work w/ Dell D800 Centrino?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Mike

    HamMan Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to find out if the Centrino wireless NIC is built into Dell

    D800
    > & D600 notebooks. I haven't been able get an answer from Dell tech

    support,
    > Dell newsgroup or the Intell website. For Dell D800 notebook or D600
    > notebooks do they need an Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Wlan miniPCI Card or is
    > wireless built in?
    >
    > A reply from the dell newsgroup stated:
    >
    > "You can go to Dell's support site and try the reference area. It has

    > exploded view diagram of the D800 and all parts. The wireless card is on
    > the right hand side when looking at the laptop as though you're using it.
    > There's a small access cover underneath that can be removed. The antennas
    > will be a black and white wire, if I remember right, capped by a copper
    > connector"
    >
    > If another brand of minPC Card wireles NIC is installed in the notebook

    will
    > it work w/ Dell D800 Centrino?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    The 'centrino' is acombination of Intel Components

    To wear the centrino badge the laptop have to have:

    A Pentium-M Processor
    Intel Chipsets
    WiFi Card (usally 802.11b)

    HamMan, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Is the WI-FI card built-in? If so, how do I activate it.

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Mike

    Billh Guest

    I would think if you have to ask you do not have it. I have the Inspiron
    8600 and it has a Centrino logo right on the laptop and the logo pops up on
    the bios screen when the computer starts up. As stated before you have to
    three things all from Intel to be Centrino. The wireless card is a mini pci
    card so yes it would be built in and turned on when you got your computer.
    In fact when I first turn my computer on I have two icons in the try saying
    my network is unplugged until the wifi kicks in or I plug my wire in. And
    in device manager I have a network adaptor called Intel (R) PRO/Wireless LAN
    2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter. If you do not have any of this going on I do not
    think you have Centrino.

    Billh, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I removed the service plate and observed a miniPCI card w/ black and white
    wires. Antenna wires? built in for rj45 nic?and on top of that the small
    modem card. Networkneighborhood showed only one network icon Does your
    notebook have an external wi-fi card?

    Mike

    "Billh" <> wrote in message
    > I would think if you have to ask you do not have it. I have the Inspiron
    > 8600 and it has a Centrino logo right on the laptop and the logo pops up

    on
    > the bios screen when the computer starts up. As stated before you have to
    > three things all from Intel to be Centrino. The wireless card is a mini

    pci
    > card so yes it would be built in and turned on when you got your computer.
    > In fact when I first turn my computer on I have two icons in the try

    saying
    > my network is unplugged until the wifi kicks in or I plug my wire in. And
    > in device manager I have a network adaptor called Intel (R) PRO/Wireless

    LAN
    > 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter. If you do not have any of this going on I do

    not
    > think you have Centrino.
    >

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > > Is the WI-FI card built-in? If so, how do I activate it.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "HamMan" <> wrote in

    message

    Mike, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Mike

    Billh Guest

    My wireless card is internal. While I have not taken mine apart I see by
    the photo in my manual that there is wires that attach to the card that form
    the antenna. But I was not talking about network neighborhood right click
    on my computer go to properties then the hardware tab then the Device
    manager then the plus next to network adaptors. See how many you got see if
    one says wireless.

    Billh, Oct 4, 2003