    Experts recommend?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010

  2. zxcvbob

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:02:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

    > I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging HP
    > that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6" form-factor
    > of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3". (Yea! cheaper for
    > me)
    >
    > The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    > machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    > other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory. Both
    > have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >
    > The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
    > thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and will
    > run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest battery
    > hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so maybe the
    > processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Both of those processors are absolute pieces of shit. Look around and
    don't get anything less than a Core2Duo.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wondered why he bothered to answer.
    Dan C, Aug 21, 2010

  3. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
    > HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
    > form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
    > (Yea! cheaper for me)
    >
    > The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    > machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    > other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
    > Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >
    > The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
    > I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
    > and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
    > biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
    > screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
    > Experts recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Are you considering the Compaq CQ62-210US?
    I have a friend that mainly wants, email, some program to type her 'momoirs'
    on and a built in CD\DVD recorder so that she can save her memoirs and
    something she could listen to music on and possibly watch a movie on (DVD).
    Anyhow, Office Depot has it on sale for $319.99 after an Insant Rebate of
    $100.00 and a mail-in rebate of $30.00.
    In case you are price oriented, I'd thought I'd mention it.
    Yes, although the Celeron 900 runs at around 2.2GHz and is not real
    powerful, it will be more than enough for my female friend.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Aug 21, 2010
  4. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    Grinder wrote:
    > On 8/20/2010 8:02 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
    >> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
    >> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
    >> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
    >> (Yea! cheaper for me)
    >>
    >> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    >> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    >> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
    >> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >>
    >> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
    >> thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and
    >> will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest
    >> battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so
    >> maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts
    >> recommend?

    > The $30-50 you're saving by getting one of those dog processors is not
    > worth it. If you keep your eyes open you can get a computer with the
    > specs:
    >
    > Screen size: 15.4" to 15.6"
    > Processor: Dual-core Pentium/Athlon
    > Memory: 3GB or better
    > Hard drive: 250GB or better
    > Opti drive: DVD-RW
    > Alt drive: memory card reader
    > Webcam: yes
    > Network: 10/100Mbps or better like Gigabit
    > Wireless: Wireless-G or better like Wireless-N
    > O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium or better
    >
    > ...for $400

    Can you give me a lead on where I could find such Laptops with a bright
    clear display?
    Thanks,
    Buffalo
    (Must have a Windows 7 OS)
    Buffalo, Aug 21, 2010
  5. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
    >> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
    >> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
    >> (Yea! cheaper for me)
    >>
    >> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    >> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    >> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
    >> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >>
    >> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
    >> I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
    >> and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
    >> biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
    >> screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
    >> Experts recommend?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob

    > Are you considering the Compaq CQ62-210US?
    > I have a friend that mainly wants, email, some program to type her 'momoirs'
    > on and a built in CD\DVD recorder so that she can save her memoirs and
    > something she could listen to music on and possibly watch a movie on (DVD).
    > Anyhow, Office Depot has it on sale for $319.99 after an Insant Rebate of
    > $100.00 and a mail-in rebate of $30.00.
    > In case you are price oriented, I'd thought I'd mention it.
    > Yes, although the Celeron 900 runs at around 2.2GHz and is not real
    > powerful, it will be more than enough for my female friend.
    > Buffalo

    Actually, it's a Compaq CQ60-615DX and a HP G61-429wm, and they are
    both less than $400 but not much less.

    I looked at officeDepot.com and didn't see any $100 rebate. Maybe
    it's expired. I'll stop by the local OD or Staples (I don't
    remember which it is) tomorrow.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010
  6. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Buffalo wrote:
    >> zxcvbob wrote:
    >>> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
    >>> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
    >>> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
    >>> (Yea! cheaper for me)
    >>>
    >>> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    >>> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    >>> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
    >>> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >>>
    >>> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
    >>> I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
    >>> and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
    >>> biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
    >>> screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
    >>> Experts recommend?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bob

    >> Are you considering the Compaq CQ62-210US?
    >> I have a friend that mainly wants, email, some program to type her
    >> 'momoirs' on and a built in CD\DVD recorder so that she can save her
    >> memoirs and something she could listen to music on and possibly
    >> watch a movie on (DVD). Anyhow, Office Depot has it on sale for
    >> $319.99 after an Insant Rebate of $100.00 and a mail-in rebate of
    >> $30.00.
    >> In case you are price oriented, I'd thought I'd mention it.
    >> Yes, although the Celeron 900 runs at around 2.2GHz and is not real
    >> powerful, it will be more than enough for my female friend.
    >> Buffalo
    >>

    > Actually, it's a Compaq CQ60-615DX and a HP G61-429wm, and they are
    > both less than $400 but not much less.
    >
    > I looked at officeDepot.com and didn't see any $100 rebate. Maybe
    > it's expired. I'll stop by the local OD or Staples (I don't
    > remember which it is) tomorrow.
    >
    > Bob

    Actually it starts on the 22nd and I got it in an email from OD.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Aug 21, 2010
  7. zxcvbob

    The Watcher Guest

    Is "wifey" a term of endearment? I suspect not,

    The processors are garbage. Dan C is correct.
    The Watcher, Aug 21, 2010
  8. zxcvbob

    Mat Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:20:40 -0600, Buffalo wrote:

    > Grinder wrote:
    >> On 8/20/2010 8:02 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
    >>> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
    >>> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
    >>> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
    >>> (Yea! cheaper for me)
    >>>
    >>> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    >>> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    >>> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
    >>> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >>>
    >>> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
    >>> thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and
    >>> will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest
    >>> battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so
    >>> maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts
    >>> recommend?

    >> The $30-50 you're saving by getting one of those dog processors is not
    >> worth it. If you keep your eyes open you can get a computer with the
    >> specs:
    >>
    >> Screen size: 15.4" to 15.6"
    >> Processor: Dual-core Pentium/Athlon
    >> Memory: 3GB or better
    >> Hard drive: 250GB or better
    >> Opti drive: DVD-RW
    >> Alt drive: memory card reader
    >> Webcam: yes
    >> Network: 10/100Mbps or better like Gigabit
    >> Wireless: Wireless-G or better like Wireless-N
    >> O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium or better
    >>
    >> ...for $400

    > Can you give me a lead on where I could find such Laptops with a bright
    > clear display?
    > Thanks,
    > Buffalo
    > (Must have a Windows 7 OS)

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compaq-G62-219WM/14224748

    Took 10 secs to find that, many more just look
    Mat, Aug 21, 2010
  9. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    The Watcher wrote:
    > Is "wifey" a term of endearment? I suspect not,
    >
    > The processors are garbage. Dan C is correct.

    No, that's her actual name (why I capitalized it.)

    Best regards, ;-)
    Bob
    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010
  10. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:02:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

    > I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging HP
    > that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6" form-factor
    > of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3". (Yea! cheaper for
    > me)
    >
    > The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
    > machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
    > other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory. Both
    > have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >
    > The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
    > thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and will
    > run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest battery
    > hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so maybe the
    > processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    I would not settle for anything less than an AMD Turion x64 dual core.
    If I had to make the choice between the Intel or AMD chip I'd chose the
    AMD. Most bang for the buck. Also would buy a laptop with ADM Vision
    technology.

    Meat Plow, Aug 21, 2010
  11. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:15:18 -0500, Grinder wrote:

    > On 8/21/2010 10:16 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> Also would buy a laptop with ADM Vision technology.

    > Is that some sort of proprietary soy-based display technology?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_Daniels_Midland

    Damn I have typing Lesdyxia!

    Meat Plow, Aug 21, 2010
  12. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Mat wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:20:40 -0600, Buffalo wrote:
    >

    >> Grinder wrote:

    >>> The $30-50 you're saving by getting one of those dog processors is not
    >>> worth it. If you keep your eyes open you can get a computer with the
    >>> specs:
    >>>
    >>> Screen size: 15.4" to 15.6"
    >>> Processor: Dual-core Pentium/Athlon
    >>> Memory: 3GB or better
    >>> Hard drive: 250GB or better
    >>> Opti drive: DVD-RW
    >>> Alt drive: memory card reader
    >>> Webcam: yes
    >>> Network: 10/100Mbps or better like Gigabit
    >>> Wireless: Wireless-G or better like Wireless-N
    >>> O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium or better
    >>>
    >>> ...for $400

    >> Can you give me a lead on where I could find such Laptops with a bright
    >> clear display?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Buffalo
    >> (Must have a Windows 7 OS)

    > http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compaq-G62-219WM/14224748
    >
    > Took 10 secs to find that, many more just look

    I think this one is supposed to go on sale next week for $400:
    <http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5741Z-5433-15.6-Laptop/product_884281>

    Same as the $350 one I looked at today at Staples, but more memory,
    dual-core processor, slightly bigger hard drive, and HDMI output.

    Staples was cheaper than Sam's Club. I should have checked Best Buy
    while I was on that end of town.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Aug 21, 2010
  13. zxcvbob

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:02:04 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:15:18 -0500, Grinder wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/21/2010 10:16 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>> Also would buy a laptop with ADM Vision technology.

    >> Is that some sort of proprietary soy-based display technology?
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_Daniels_Midland

    > Damn I have typing Lesdyxia!

    No, actually you're just stupid.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he descended down into Shayol Ghul.
    Dan C, Aug 22, 2010
  14. zxcvbob

    Buffalo Guest

    Buffalo, Aug 22, 2010
  15. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    **** off troll.

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2010
  16. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:55:01 -0500, Grinder wrote:

    > On 8/21/2010 7:26 PM, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Damn I have typing Lesdyxia!

    >> No, actually you're just stupid.

    > So this is what passes for wit in your world?

    Actually what passes for wit in his bizarro-microcosm is:

    Formatting your hard drive will solve all your problems.
    Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me"

    Now that's quality wit I tell you. Ready to share the Stand Up Comic
    stage with the likes of Dennis Leary, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock etc...

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2010
  17. zxcvbob

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 13:45:53 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:26:24 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Damn I have typing Lesdyxia!

    >> N[SLAP]

    > **** off troll.

    Right on cue.

    Like a fiddle, I tell ya! ROFL!

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he puked on Christopher Robin.
    Dan C, Aug 22, 2010
  18. zxcvbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:48:42 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 13:45:53 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> N[SLAP]

    >> **** off troll.

    > R[SLAP]

    Hi Pot, this is Kettle...heh

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2010
  19. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    On 8/21/2010 2:17 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
    > Mat wrote:

    >>> Can you give me a lead on where I could find such Laptops with a bright
    >>> clear display?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Buffalo
    >>> (Must have a Windows 7 OS)

    >> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compaq-G62-219WM/14224748
    >>
    >> Took 10 secs to find that, many more just look
    >>

    > I think this one is supposed to go on sale next week for $400:
    > <http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5741Z-5433-15.6-Laptop/product_884281>
    >

    > Same as the $350 one I looked at today at Staples, but more memory,
    > dual-core processor, slightly bigger hard drive, and HDMI output.
    >
    > Staples was cheaper than Sam's Club. I should have checked Best Buy
    > while I was on that end of town.
    >
    > Bob

    Sure enough, they were on sale for $399 today. I bought one; spent
    about a half an hour moving her stuff from the old machine (didn't take
    as long as I expected.) At least one old software package won't run on
    64-bit windows -- it runs just fine on my 32-bit Windows 7 netbook. I
    haven't started looking for 64-bit printer drivers yet, but that might
    be interesting.

    I think I may have outsmarted myself; that $350 laptop ($450 today)
    probably comes with 32-bit Windows 7 installed.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Aug 22, 2010
  20. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    On 8/22/2010 7:42 PM, Grinder wrote:
    > On 8/22/2010 5:44 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
    >>
    >> Sure enough, they were on sale for $399 today. I bought one; spent about
    >> a half an hour moving her stuff from the old machine (didn't take as
    >> long as I expected.) At least one old software package won't run on
    >> 64-bit windows -- it runs just fine on my 32-bit Windows 7 netbook. I
    >> haven't started looking for 64-bit printer drivers yet, but that might
    >> be interesting.
    >>
    >> I think I may have outsmarted myself; that $350 laptop ($450 today)
    >> probably comes with 32-bit Windows 7 installed.

    > That laptop can be expanded to 8GB of memory, so 32-bit Windows doesn't
    > really make sense for it.

    I checked and that other "contender" laptop also had 64-bit Windows, so
    I didn't screw that up after all. But that still doesn't fix my
    situation. I checked with Acer and they said I'd have to buy a retail
    copy of Win7-32, but they didnt recommend that because I might have
    problems with drivers for the onboard peripherals. But I could check
    their web site first and see if 32-bit drivers were available.

    The main printer that she uses has a proprietary GDI driver, and Sharp
    not only doesnt have a 64 bit driver for it, they are *smug* about not
    having updated driver. But maybe a driver for a current model Sharp GDI
    printer will work. Meanwhile there *is* a Postscript printer available
    in the basement if she really has to print something.

    Next big question is will Office 97 run on 64-bit Windows? I'm not sure
    I can get her to switch to OpenOffice or Symphony, and I've already
    spent my whole budget. At least I didnt scrap her old machine, so she
    can use that until I get this one configured right.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Aug 23, 2010