    shakeout.

    Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 20, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    rayc Guest

    news:i4l11o$gv1$...
    > With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
    > the
    > other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
    > shakeout.
    >
    > Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    > Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

    well hopefully they make MacAfee better

    twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.

    and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days

    they did not get a third shot at it

    Norton 360 works as per specs
    rayc, Aug 20, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all the
    > other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
    > shakeout.
    >
    > Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    > Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

    There are several free options. I use Avast!
    Gib Bogle, Aug 20, 2010
  4. On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:05:48 +1200, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all the
    >> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
    >> shakeout.
    >>
    >> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    >> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

    >There are several free options. I use Avast!

    From what I have read its that Microsoft is Kaspersky

    Have a read of this.

    http://savedelete.com/best-free-windows7-antivirus-software.html

    I use Avast and get far to many fault positives, I use the Free
    Kaspersky one as a check..

    The Free Kaspersky one is not a online virus checker.

    http://avptool.ru/en/
    William Brown, Aug 20, 2010
  5. On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <>
    wrote:

    >"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
    >> the
    >> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
    >> shakeout.
    >>
    >> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    >> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

    >well hopefully they make MacAfee better
    >
    >twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
    >
    >and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
    >
    >they did not get a third shot at it
    >
    >Norton 360 works as per specs

    No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
    here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
    version.
    William Brown, Aug 20, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-08-20, William Brown <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >>> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
    >>> the
    >>> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
    >>> shakeout.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    >>> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

    >>well hopefully they make MacAfee better
    >>
    >>twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
    >>
    >>and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
    >>
    >>they did not get a third shot at it
    >>
    >>Norton 360 works as per specs
    >>

    > No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
    > here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
    > version.

    Welcome aboard Roger. About time
    Gordon, Aug 21, 2010
  7. On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:42:09 +1200, William Brown <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >>> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
    >>> the
    >>> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
    >>> shakeout.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    >>> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

    >>well hopefully they make MacAfee better
    >>
    >>twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
    >>
    >>and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
    >>
    >>they did not get a third shot at it
    >>
    >>Norton 360 works as per specs
    >>

    >No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
    >here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
    >version.

    Wrong. That was older versions. It was fixed and the 2009 and 2010
    versions are fast and rate as best or near best in comparison tests.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 21, 2010
  8. On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 04:41:13 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:42:09 +1200, William Brown <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>>well hopefully they make MacAfee better
    >>>
    >>>twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
    >>>
    >>>and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
    >>>
    >>>they did not get a third shot at it
    >>>
    >>>Norton 360 works as per specs
    >>>

    >>No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
    >>here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
    >>version.

    >Wrong. That was older versions. It was fixed and the 2009 and 2010
    >versions are fast and rate as best or near best in comparison tests.

    So why do they have a Gamer version..?
    William Brown, Aug 22, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2010-08-20, William Brown <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >> No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the
    >> post here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a
    >> Gamer version.

    > Welcome aboard Roger. About time

    Hmmm, lots of nym-shifts in the last few weeks for the old codger. My
    killfile, which is mainly composed of his aliases, is growing to huge
    proportions (I migrate it from one machine to another as I upgrade).

    The silly old fart doesn't seem to realise that if he just played nice folks
    might not killfile him on sight. I've tried a couple times but invariably
    end up plonking him within a week or so so I'm back to pre-emptive plonking.
    <shrug>
    --
    Shaun.

    "Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.
    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 20, 4:41 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all the
    > other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
    > shakeout.
    >
    > Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
    > Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

    It has occurred to me that Intel needs to take up some such action to
    shore up its 'x86' chips. One big reason against using 'x86' chips
    with MS product for embedded applications is security, and if Intel
    can help address the security issue it removes one of the downsides of
    a 'Wintel' solution. If suppliers of applications with embedded
    software use a Linux base, they are not confined to chip types, since
    Linux will potentially run on virtually anything as long as it has
    adequate capability. MS products are limited to 'x86' chips.
    peterwn, Aug 23, 2010
  11. In message
    <>, peterwn
    wrote:

    > ... and if Intel can help address the security issue it removes one of the
    > downsides of a 'Wintel' solution.

    Yeah, but can they? When Microsoft got into the security-software game, it
    didn’t dramatically improve the quality, it simply took over by marketing.
    In the same way, Intel’s purchase of McAfee isn’t going to make major
    improvements to McAfee’s products, so the ongoing security vulnerabilities
    on “Wintel†(really, Windows) aren’t going to diminish.

    Investing billions of dollars into developing Windows-specific software
    seems a dumb thing to do at this stage in the game.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 24, 2010