    Are any of the versions of VIsta so cheap that they don't support dual
    core?

    , Dec 15, 2007

  2. Vista does not come on a cd. It comes on a dvd. But I understand your
    question.

    86_64 was first released by AMD but now refers to any x64 cpu which is also
    backwards compatible with the x86 instruction set. There is no difference
    between an AMD64 instruction set and an Intel Core 2 instruction set in that
    regard. I use both AMD64 Athlon x2 and Core 2 Duo to run 64 bit Vista and
    64 bit XP.

    The Vista x64 dvd would only be free if you purchase Vista at retail. It is
    not free if your computer comes with 32 bit Vista preinstalled (as it
    probably will). If you want 64 bit Vista on your new laptop, be sure to
    order the new laptop that way or you will have to purchase a retail Vista to
    get the 64 bit. The 64 bit dvd is included with Vista Ultimate retail
    package but has to be requested for all other editions using the
    instructions in the retail box for that edition.

    I repeat, you will not be entitled to a free Vista 64 bit dvd if 32 bit
    Vista comes preinstalled on your computer. Preinstalled Windows is OEM and
    not retail.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 15, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Dec 14, 8:04 pm, "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote:
    > Vista does not come on a cd. It comes on a dvd. But I understand your
    > question.
    >
    > 86_64 was first released by AMD but now refers to any x64 cpu which is also
    > backwards compatible with the x86 instruction set. There is no difference
    > between an AMD64 instruction set and an Intel Core 2 instruction set in that
    > regard. I use both AMD64 Athlon x2 and Core 2 Duo to run 64 bit Vista and
    > 64 bit XP.
    >
    > The Vista x64 dvd would only be free if you purchase Vista at retail. It is
    > not free if your computer comes with 32 bit Vista preinstalled (as it
    > probably will). If you want 64 bit Vista on your new laptop, be sure to
    > order the new laptop that way or you will have to purchase a retail Vista to
    > get the 64 bit. The 64 bit dvd is included with Vista Ultimate retail
    > package but has to be requested for all other editions using the
    > instructions in the retail box for that edition.
    >
    > I repeat, you will not be entitled to a free Vista 64 bit dvd if 32 bit
    > Vista comes preinstalled on your computer. Preinstalled Windows is OEM and
    > not retail.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I really need to replace my old laptop. While I'd prefer the AMD 64
    > > (which i use on my desktop), it seems the notebook market likes
    > > Intel,at least the one with the features I want.

    > > So what is this Intel 64 used in the core 2 duo (Thinkpad T61 to be
    > > specific.] I've seen it listed as 86_64, but that is the AMD
    > > instruction set.

    > > What does it cost to buy the 64 bit CD? I see it is "free" with
    > > ultimate vista.

    > > Has anyone here upgraded a T61 to 64 bits.

    > > Are any of the versions of VIsta so cheap that they don't support dual
    > > core?

    Thanks. I would have never expected I couldn't purchase the 64 bit
    OS.

    Other than x64 being a dead end product, I wouldn't mind running it on
    the notebook. I do nothing with DRM, which as far as I can tell is all
    VIsta buys you.

    Since they don't sell X64 anymore, are these ads you see on the net
    legit? Example
    http://www.cietdirect.com/product_special_detail.php?s=1&id=163

    , Dec 15, 2007
  4. x64 is not a dead product. Where did you get that idea? In fact Vista may
    be the last version of Windows to have a 32-bit version. 64-bits will be
    all there is in a few years. XP Pro x64 is still in active support and
    still being sold by outlets like NewEgg.

    The ad you linked to is legit. However, some of the description is just
    plain wrong. For example,
    "Full Version - NOT an upgrade version but will perform an upgrade on 95% of
    computers. Buy a full version at an upgrade price," is just plain nonsense.
    Firstly, there is no such thing as an XP Pro x64 Upgrade edition anyway so
    there is no such thing as an upgrade price; secondly, the box pictured has
    nothing to do with XP Pro x64 (it is an XP Pro SP2 box); and, thirdly. it
    will NOT perform an upgrade because there is no upgrade path from any 32-bit
    Windows to any 64-bit Windows. There is no upgrade functionality in XP Pro
    x64 because there are no previous 64-bit versions of Windows to upgrade and
    OEM products are for computers without an operating system and therefore
    "upgrading" is irrelevant.

    This ad is for a standard OEM copy of XP Pro x64 and as such is a good
    price. The person who wrote the description simply had no idea what he was
    talking about, but don't let that throw you.

    You certainly can purchase a 64-bit OS and there are companies who will sell
    you either XP Pro x64 preinstalled on a new laptop, or Vista Home Premium
    x64 or Vista Ultimate x64 preinstalled. You just have to look.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 15, 2007
  5. DP Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message

    > The Vista x64 dvd would only be free if you purchase Vista at retail. It
    > is not free if your computer comes with 32 bit Vista preinstalled (as it
    > probably will). If you want 64 bit Vista on your new laptop, be sure to
    > order the new laptop that way or you will have to purchase a retail Vista
    > to get the 64 bit.

    Just checking here Colin, since I don't know the answer myself.
    If the OP were to buy a laptop with 32-bit Vista included, would he get any
    kind of price break on 64-bit by using MS's easy upgrade option? I realize
    moving to 64-bit is not possible as an upgrade, per se, but I wonder if at
    least there's some kind of price break. In other words, he might only have
    to pay the difference between the cost of the version of Vista preloaded on
    the computer and the cost of 64-bit Vista. That's a little bit better than
    having to pay the full retail price of 64-bit Vista.
    I recently bought a laptop with 32-bit Vista on it and it came with a DVD
    for the easy upgrade process. I have not checked yet to see if 64-bit is an
    option there.

    DP, Dec 16, 2007
  6. The website would not offer an Easy Upgrade option for anything but a higher
    32-bit. In his case the only option would be Vista Ultimate x86 since an
    "upgrade" to Vista Business would involve a loss of functionality (VHP
    includes media center stuff, etc) and therefore EU would not offer it.

    Easy Upgrade offers VHP and VU if you are running VHB, and VU if you are
    running VHP. If you are running x86 it offers an x86 upgrade. If you are
    running x64 it offers an x64 upgrade.

    Since Easy Upgrade will never offer an option that facilitates migration
    from Vista x86 to Vista x64, what he can do is buy a Vista Home Premium
    Upgrade edition at retail and use the info contained in it to request a
    64-bit dvd. (In truth, any retail 64-bit dvd is usable since the Product
    Key is what really matters and all retail 64-bit dvds are just alike). As
    long as he has a retail product key, anybody's retail (but not OEM) x64 dvd
    will work regardless of the edition that the dvd was used to install on the
    other person's machine.

    Upgrading an OEM installation with a retail upgrade edition has always been
    supported.

    Vista to Vista is an accepted qualifying OS for upgrade pricing. VHP x86 is
    acceptible to for upgrade pricing to ANY x86 or x64 edition of Vista. (In
    the case of VHP x86 OEM to VHP x86 retail, one simply enters the PK in the
    Change PK box on the System Properties page.)

    The only edition that would allow him to perform an upgrade in place would
    be VU x86. ALL others will require a Custom install.

    In order to install the 64-bit version he must boot the computer with a
    64-bit dvd and provide the PK when requested (there are not different PK's
    for x86 and x64). Unlike the 32-bit version, he does not run the upgrade
    installer from the desktop (it won't anyway). The x64 Setup will search the
    system for an installation of a qualifying version of Windows (any bitness)
    and then take him through the various options. Upgrade will be greyed out
    and he will have to choose Custom at the appropriate time.

    Unlike the 32-bit version, the 64-bit upgrade edition does allow a true
    clean install (he can format the drive, partition, etc., once the upgrade
    qualification is verified).

    An upgrade PK does allow side-by-side (multiboot) installation if an
    additional partition or disk is available.

    He MUST have a cd ready with the 64-bit device drivers and utilities from
    the manufacturer's website (he may not have access to the internet following
    installation if the built in NIC is proprietary).

    (I know you know most of this but I thought I would go through the whole
    thing anyway for the sake of others reading this who would have the
    inevitable questions that always came up in the Vista ng.)

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 16, 2007
  7. I strayed a bit from the your original question. There is no price
    difference between x86 and x64 so there would be no price break to give.
    Having said this, I realize that some system builders are charging a few
    dollars more for the x64 version (preinstalled, of course). But Easy
    Upgrade does not charge more for x64 than x86. It doesn't let you choose
    between them, however.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 16, 2007
  8. Guest

    On Dec 15, 11:58 pm, "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > >> order the new laptop that way or you will have to purchase a retail Vista
    > >> to get the 64 bit.

    > > Just checking here Colin, since I don't know the answer myself.
    > > If the OP were to buy a laptop with 32-bit Vista included, would he get
    > > any kind of price break on 64-bit by using MS's easy upgrade option? I
    > > realize moving to 64-bit is not possible as an upgrade, per se, but I
    > > wonder if at least there's some kind of price break. In other words, he
    > > might only have to pay the difference between the cost of the version of
    > > Vista preloaded on the computer and the cost of 64-bit Vista. That's a
    > > little bit better than having to pay the full retail price of 64-bit
    > > Vista.
    > > I recently bought a laptop with 32-bit Vista on it and it came with a DVD
    > > for the easy upgrade process. I have not checked yet to see if 64-bit is

    Thanks for spelling it out, though I'm not sure I'd call that plane
    English. ;-) This is much more complicated than I thought.

    I'm sure you have seen those stupid I'm a Mac I'm a PC commercials.
    Most are lies with the exception that Apple just sells one OS.

    , Dec 17, 2007
  9. I agree. I think MS marketing went overboard with Vista. I'm sure the
    developers at MS would like to see Vista Ultimate be the only edition too.
    They are all proud of their products and would like to see everyone have
    their software. Support would simplify somewhat as well.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 17, 2007