    cell number ( to see if it will call out) it says all circuits are
    busy. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the intel 537 winmodem that
    everyone says will work, but its not. please help.

    bailey1396, Feb 22, 2006

  2. i dont get it. u tried to make a call to ur cell phone through SIP
    protocol? aint it suppose to go through the PSTN line? (then ur PSTN
    operator connect to the GSM/CDMA network?)

    valentino.rossi.85, Feb 22, 2006

  3. bailey1396

    bailey1396 Guest

    well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call
    someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when
    someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the
    call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish
    to talk to.

    is it possable?
    Without buying a high priced card?

    bailey1396, Feb 23, 2006
  5. bailey1396

    shido xavier Guest

    bailey1396 wrote:
    > well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call
    > someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when
    > someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the
    > call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish
    > to talk to.
    >
    > is it possable?
    > Without buying a high priced card?

    You dont need a high priced card, you can buy a $10 - $15 FXO card, you
    can find them on ebay now. Digium discontinued the single port FXO Card
    and started selling the $100+ single port Modular card now. The modular
    card can carry 4 modules so you can mix and match FXO and FXS modules.

    FXS - You can plug Analog Telephone Handsets into these
    FXO - Use this for connecting to your plain old telephone service.

    What kind of phone did you want to use locally? Softphone? IP Phone?

    -sx

    IM:

    shido xavier, Feb 23, 2006
  6. "bailey1396" <> writes:
    > well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call
    > someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when
    > someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the
    > call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish
    > to talk to.
    >
    > is it possable?
    > Without buying a high priced card?

    Thats what I did. I have a Sipura SPA-3000 forward the POTS calls to
    asterisk. From there, you could route the call to any SIP or analog
    phone. Given that the SPA-3000 costs about the same as the official
    asterisk card, I figured it was a less risky proposition with getting
    the device drivers to work, etc. The SPA-3000 speaks standard SIP and
    asterisk has no trouble interfacing.

    Now, be warned, the analog phone lines coming into your house are a
    cesspool of echos. The ear normally can ignore this echo because it
    has a very low-delay time. Effectively the ear's innate echo
    canceling is only good for a very small number of milliseconds. When
    you add a few tens of milliseconds of VOIP delay to the equation the
    echo is no longer canceled and becomes very irritating. Effectively I
    stopped allowing pots calls to be routed to extensions. I just allow
    the incoming analog line to go to one of several voice mailboxes.

    To talk to folks over the PSTN I get digital DID's from ipkall and
    teliax. The former is free, but sometimes has bad voice quality. The
    latter costs 2cents/minute, but so far has had much better quality.

    -wolfgang
    Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Feb 23, 2006
  7. bailey1396

    bailey1396 Guest

    But, didn't Bob Smith ( http://linuxgazette.net/120/smith.html ) use a
    Intel 537 modem and Asterisk for an Answering Machine.
    Isn't the Intel 537 chipset just the old Wildcard X100P FXO cards?
    I want to use the Xten Lite PC-based soft Phones for the computers, but
    I plan on getting some wireless IP phones once this works out.

    bailey1396, Feb 23, 2006