Intel 440BX AGPset CPU upgrade question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tritium, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Tritium

    Tritium Guest

    T.B. wrote:
    > I've got a Dell XPS R400 with a PII 400mhz and I'm looking to upgrade the
    > CPU to it's maximum capacity. I'm having troubles figuring out what the
    > highest megahertz speed it can handle. I do know that it is made to handle
    > PIII cpu, but what speed should I buy?
    >
    > remove NOSPAM to reply via email
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > TB

    If there is a bios update that can support the microcode
    of a Pentium-III CPU, then the fastest speed would be a
    600-MHz P3 Katmai running on the 100-MHz FSB. But only
    some of the 440BX motherboards are capable of delivering
    the Vcore for this CPU, which is slightly higher than
    the P3 Katmais up to 550 MHz. HTH & GL.

    Tritium, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Tritium

    Win Guest

    Ther are 2 types of P3's and one sort of celeron

    BX Boards fully support 100*X
    ie 500 550 600 650 700 750 etc
    some can overclock to suppoer 133*X cups
    ie 666 ect
    If you buy a 133 CPU you should be able to run it at 100

    celerons run at 66*X and newer ones are at 100*X

    along time ago I went from a celeron 400 to a P3 750 and hardly notuiced the
    differance
    yet when I when from a old video card to a newer one I noticed a great speed
    improvement.
    I'd say if you play games get a graphics card

    The differance of raw proccessing power does not make as much differance
    unless you are useing say very large spreadsheets

    Win, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Tritium

    Win Guest

    Opps gogot
    Ring dell and find out what the fastest CPU speed the motherboard will take
    and if it needs a bios upgrade to run it

    http://kobe.cool.ne.jp/memoba/dell_cpu/dell_cpu_e.htm

    the above link will help heaps
    Sounds like you need a new Bios

    T.B., Feb 23, 2004