Intel 2915ABG Adapter, Linksys B Router & SLOW XP Filesharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Issue: File sharing using the above connections in a Dell Latitude 610 is
    glacial - like it can take 15 minutes to open a file share containing
    graphics like "My Shared Pictures". Just to select the file share from "My
    network Places" can take over a minute. File transfer is very slow. Internet
    connections are also really slow. If I change to a linksys wireless B
    adapter (PCMCIA Card) everything is super quick. I have tried updating the
    Intel 2915 driver to the latest one on Dell's web site (vers 9.0.2.31) but it
    didn't help.

    I contacted Dell Support and they told me that this behavior for the Intel
    adapter is normal - basically they said if I can connect to a file share and
    connect to the internet then the hardware is working properly.

    The default settings for 2915ABG appear to be set up for a wireless G
    connections rather than B but making the prefered band = 802.11B has no
    effect either. My questions are:

    1. Would the 2915 adapter work 'fast' with a Wirelss G router?
    2. Is it a compatability issue between a linksys router with an intel adpater?
    3. Is the issue that the intel 2915 adapter doesn't work well with windows
    file sharing?
    4. could it be a bad adapter and changing it out for a new 2915ABG could fix
    it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Mar 27, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    Check the antenna attachment. Bad contact can cause this behavior.
    If this won't help, I'd suggest to ask Dell again to help you troubleshoot this issue.
    The 2915 has several useful diagnostic tools (logs, counters etc).
    If they in Dell don't know how to do this, ask them to elevate your issue to the card manufacturer support.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Mar 30, 2006