Intel 2200bg problems (Random blank screens)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNjb29rZTAwMA==?=, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Hi, just bought a new laptop and have been investigating the possibility of
    wireless networking as it came with a built in Intel 2200bg card. I have a
    NetGear DG834G ADSL Router to connect to my BT Broadband connection. (Running
    Windows XPSP2).

    Setup is fine, wireless network is detected and connected to no problem.
    However, once I am connected within about 5 minutes (sometimes as quick as 30
    seconds) the mouse pointer freezes and the screen goes completely blank (no
    blue screen or anything). All power LEDs etc stay on so I have to do a hard
    shutdown (hold power button for a few seconds). Cannot do Ctrl-Scroll
    Lock-Scroll Lock to force a dump either as keyboard is unresponsive.

    After rebooting wireless network is OK to connect to again but same problem
    happens if I connect to it again. Have looked for drwatson logs or memory
    dumps but cannot find any.

    Have tried all of the three drivers available on the Intel web site but all
    display the same behaviour. As well as all available versions of router
    firmware. Also tested it with a PCMICIA wireless card (Belkin), this worked
    with no problem. Also tested it in friends house with completely different
    router and same problem occured.

    Vendor claims that there is no problem with the network card!? Is it a
    compatibility issue, possibly with my Radeon 9700 graphics card (seems
    unlikely), or the router (although I can't see why this would result in the
    symptoms I am seeing)?? Any other suggestions??

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNjb29rZTAwMA==?=, Jun 1, 2005

  2. I'd suspect the router. Check out this site for help:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100772.asp
    See if the router is incompatible with more advanced Intel 2200.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=, Jun 1, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNjb29rZTAwMA==?=

    Clark Guest

    It seems I remember a bunch of Gateway laptops were causing problems with
    the built-in Intel cards, and in this case I think it was a VPN situation.
    If I remember correctly, there was a driver issue with the wireless.

    Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if anything shows up. You might
    also try turning off the WZC to see if the card works better with just the
    Intel Driver.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 1, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hyaXNjb29rZTAwMA==?=

    Tim Guest

    If your machine is locking up 100% - CAPS lock and Num lock cease to
    function, and mouse stops moving then this indicates it is most likely an
    internal hardware problem.

    If it only locks up while using wireless networking then I would suspect the
    wireless hardware in the laptop or the memory it is coincidentally using.

    First step would be to download and run memtest86 from memtest86.com and run
    it preferrably overnight. If it reports 1 error then your system will not
    function correctly.

    If the system passes memtest86, download Prime95 from mersennel.org and run
    the CPU torture test. This will thrash the CPU and highlight difficult to
    find issues that memtest86 will not fine. Also check your CPU temp and
    voltages in the BIOS at boot time. If the system came with a monitor program
    that reports CPU temps and voltages then run that while running Prime95
    logging the results if the program supports it.

    The fault may be memory, motherboard, or the wireless chip itself.

    You may wish to check your graphics drivers, but name brand (is it?) laptops
    tend to come with good drivers. Check for updates.

    Again, it is not anything external to the laptop, it is unlikely to be a
    device driver, it is most likely hardware. I suggest that if you make no
    progress after these diagnostic steps, that you take the laptop back and
    detail the logic expressed by your own sensible fault identification
    procedures and these comments.

    HTH
    - Tim

    Tim, Jun 2, 2005