Intel 2100 3A connection frequently drops during certain activitie

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. I have the Intel 2100 3A and have experience something extremely unusual. I
    am able to stay connected to the router for most operations such as:

    HTTP/ssh/Video streaming/Audio streaming

    When I try to copy a large file (~500MB) through Windows file sharing (same
    workground, etc), it drops the wireless connection and the File Copy error
    reads:

    Filename: invalid file handler

    I also drop while using RealVNC.

    Ive never run into an issue where it only affects certain activities. I
    have two other computers wirelessly connected that transfer large files
    perfectly fine, so I have ruled out the router as the source of the problem.
    All computers are all WELL within range of the router (20 ft). Ive search
    all over for a solution but see nothing pertaining to Windows XP per the
    error message.

    Ive tried back dating the Intel 2100 driver and still no luck. Ive turned
    off firewall with no luck. Ive tried using the Intel ProSet software to
    control the card and the same thing happens.

    Im running out of things to try. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

    Thanks,

    Joe
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=, Sep 1, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=

    Dave Guest

    when all else fails i have found that the fix is to buy a new card. i have
    seen this a couple times, intermittant blue screens (on w2k), stalls during
    large file transfers, random reboots, and after all sorts of reinstalls,
    driver upgrades, router swapping, cable changing, etc, the final solution
    was a new card... voila, no more problems.

    Dave, Sep 1, 2005

  3. I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I can only say that I
    have exactly the same feature, same card, cannot copy large files : invalid
    file handling message as the network goes down,
    and I was starting to doubt my computer skills until I read your remark.
    I am getting very frustrated on networking of any sort with windows pcs at
    the moment. But maybe it is just a card-issue.
    Did you get this solved in the end ? How ?
    thx
    Peter
    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Sep 21, 2005