Integration of an IDS-workstation

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Eckhardt Newger, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. My LAN is made up of wirelLss and cable connected workstations which
    connect through a WLAN router/switch
    (D-Link DI-614+) and an DSl-modem to the Internet.

    Now I want to add a wireless IDS-workstation immediately after the
    router in order to scan the whole WAN
    traffic for possible hack attacks which have passed the router's
    firewall. Obviously I have to replace my
    router/switch by a simple router to get access to all WAN packages
    before they are being switched to their
    destination workstations. Then I need to replicate the packages by
    means of a hub, and connect to it the
    IDS-workstation amd a switch for the other workstations. So a rough
    configuration would look like

    DSL-modem --- router --- hub --- switch --- LAN
    '
    '
    IDS-Workstation

    There are some open questions for me:

    1. Where to connect the wireless workstations to? E. g. if I connect
    them to the router, do I see their WAN
    traffic on the IDS-workstation?

    2. How to connect the IDS-workstation to the hub? To normal hubs you
    connect via cable to one of its ports. So
    do I have to connect an access point to the hub and the IDS-workstation
    to that access point?

    3, I must invest in a router and a hub, But can I make use of my
    existing WLAN router/switch, either as pure
    switch for the LAN or access point for the IDS-workstation?

    Many thanks in advance for any help.

    Best regards

    Eckhardt Newger
    Eckhardt Newger, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Hi,

    No help here? Perhaps an other newsgroup?

    Ciao

    Eckhardt Newger

    Eckhardt Newger, Jan 24, 2005