    in My Computer. In both cases the operation stopped rather quickly with an
    error message saying there wasn't enough conventional memory to proceed.

    So what do I do to fix this?
    mark mandel, Apr 30, 2004

  2. mark  mandel

    The Prophecy Guest

    mark mandel wrote:
    > Though I have ghost image backups, I attempted to re-install Win98
    > last night both through the windows\options\cabs as well as through
    > the CD icon in My Computer. In both cases the operation stopped
    > rather quickly with an error message saying there wasn't enough
    > conventional memory to proceed.
    >
    > So what do I do to fix this?

    How much RAM does your system have?
    The Prophecy, Apr 30, 2004

  3. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > mark mandel wrote:
    > > Though I have ghost image backups, I attempted to re-install Win98
    > > last night both through the windows\options\cabs as well as through
    > > the CD icon in My Computer. In both cases the operation stopped
    > > rather quickly with an error message saying there wasn't enough
    > > conventional memory to proceed.
    > >
    > > So what do I do to fix this?

    > How much RAM does your system have?

    It has 256 MB.

    mark mandel, Apr 30, 2004
  4. mark  mandel

    Captain Ron Guest

    Disable any antivirus software befire attempting the install.

    Captain Ron, Apr 30, 2004
  5. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    "Captain Ron" <> wrote in message
    > Disable any antivirus software befire attempting the install.

    But what about entering DOS commands in the Config.sys file so as to expand
    the conventional memory? I myself would do it but am too uninformed about
    DOS.

    mark mandel, May 1, 2004
  6. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > But what about entering DOS commands in the Config.sys file so as to
    > expand the conventional memory? I myself would do it but am too
    > uninformed about DOS.

    There is no such command. You have 640k of conventional memory, period.
    You can disable other things that load and take some of that away, but if
    you are booting off of a 9x startup diskette and see this error you have a
    different problem.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, May 1, 2004
  7. mark  mandel

    Mark Mandell Guest

    Re: Discovery

    > Though I have ghost image backups, I attempted to re-install Win98 last
    > night both through the windows\options\cabs as well as through the CD icon
    > in My Computer. In both cases the operation stopped rather quickly with

    an
    > error message saying there wasn't enough conventional memory to proceed.
    >
    > So what do I do to fix this?

    Actually, the dual boot system I have is responsible. On one of my PC's
    where XP has an NTFS file system I can run the Win98 setup, no
    problem(through the right cab file or through using the Win98 S.E. update CD
    in "My Computer" when I double click the CD ROM icon.

    But on my other PC where Win XP runs with a FAT 32 filing system, I can't
    run the update CD because of the conventional memory error message.

    Mark Mandell
    Mark Mandell, May 1, 2004
  8. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in news:KLFkc.1220$Hs1.991
    @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > But on my other PC where Win XP runs with a FAT 32 filing system, I can't
    > run the update CD because of the conventional memory error message.

    The file system is not part of the problem.

    DeMoN LaG, May 1, 2004
  9. mark  mandel

    Mark Mandell Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in news:KLFkc.1220$Hs1.991
    > @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > But on my other PC where Win XP runs with a FAT 32 filing system, I

    can't
    > > run the update CD because of the conventional memory error message.

    > The file system is not part of the problem.
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    The reason the file system IS part of the problem is because when both the
    Win98 and XP have the FAT 32 during the installation, there has to be enough
    memory to enable the procedure. However, with the other PC having the
    Win98 as FAT32 and XP as NTFS, the inability of the Win98 to recognize the
    NTFS means that only the C: drive is getting scanned and so less memory is
    being used.
    Mark Mandell, May 1, 2004
  10. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in

    > The reason the file system IS part of the problem is because when both
    > the Win98 and XP have the FAT 32 during the installation, there has to
    > be enough memory to enable the procedure.

    "to enable the procedure"??? Do you have any idea what you are talking
    about? There is no difference in memory requirements to have one 10 gig
    FAT32 partition and one x gig NTFS partition, nor is there a difference in
    having a 10 gig partition or a 120 gig partition. I'll say it again, the

    DeMoN LaG, May 1, 2004
  11. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    > "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in
    >
    > > The reason the file system IS part of the problem is because when both
    > > the Win98 and XP have the FAT 32 during the installation, there has to
    > > be enough memory to enable the procedure.

    > "to enable the procedure"??? Do you have any idea what you are talking
    > about? There is no difference in memory requirements to have one 10 gig
    > FAT32 partition and one x gig NTFS partition, nor is there a difference in
    > having a 10 gig partition or a 120 gig partition. I'll say it again, the
    > file system is not part of the problem.
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    So then what is? You seem be one of the resident "experts" here so I assume
    I'd should trust your diagnosis over mine based on experience.
    mark mandel, May 2, 2004
  12. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > So then what is? You seem be one of the resident "experts" here so I
    > assume I'd should trust your diagnosis over mine based on experience.

    Are you booting off of a 9x startup disk? Or are you running this
    installation straight out of Win 9x itself?

    DeMoN LaG, May 3, 2004
  13. mark  mandel

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > So then what is? You seem be one of the resident "experts" here so I
    > > assume I'd should trust your diagnosis over mine based on experience.

    > Are you booting off of a 9x startup disk? Or are you running this
    > installation straight out of Win 9x itself?

    Running it straight from Win9x itself. I do it either from the relevant cab
    file or when inserting the Win98 update CD and attempting it from the F:
    drive in "My Computer."

    Mark Mandell, May 4, 2004
  14. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in

    > Running it straight from Win9x itself. I do it either from the
    > relevant cab file or when inserting the Win98 update CD and attempting
    > it from the F: drive in "My Computer."

    What is the contents of your config.sys and autoexec.bat files in the root
    of drive c: (c:\)? What do you see when you execute "mem" from a command
    prompt, ex:
    655360 bytes total conventional memory
    655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
    594928 largest executable program size

    Why can you not boot off the CD or a disk and run setup from there, as that
    is the prefered way to install Windows?

    DeMoN LaG, May 4, 2004
  15. mark  mandel

    > "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Running it straight from Win9x itself. I do it either from the
    > > relevant cab file or when inserting the Win98 update CD and attempting
    > > it from the F: drive in "My Computer."

    > What is the contents of your config.sys and autoexec.bat files in the root
    > of drive c: (c:\)? What do you see when you execute "mem" from a command
    > prompt, ex:
    > 655360 bytes total conventional memory
    > 655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
    > 594928 largest executable program size
    >
    > Why can you not boot off the CD or a disk and run setup from there, as

    that
    > is the prefered way to install Windows?
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    Here are the memory stats:

    1)Total conventional memory 655,360 bytes with 594,448 being free.
    2)Largest executable program size is 594,432 bytes
    3)And it says MS DOS is resident in the high memory area

    Whenever I've tried to boot off the Win98 CD, I keep a message that says
    "This program requires Microsoft Windows" or perhaps something similar but
    that's as far as it gets.

    Mark
    mark mandel, May 5, 2004
  16. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > Whenever I've tried to boot off the Win98 CD, I keep a message that
    > says "This program requires Microsoft Windows" or perhaps something
    > similar but that's as far as it gets.

    ??? Where are you running setup.exe from? x:\setup.exe (x being the
    cdrom)? Or x:\win98\setup.exe?

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email:
    DeMoN LaG, May 5, 2004
  17. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Whenever I've tried to boot off the Win98 CD, I keep a message that
    > > says "This program requires Microsoft Windows" or perhaps something
    > > similar but that's as far as it gets.

    > ??? Where are you running setup.exe from? x:\setup.exe (x being the
    > cdrom)? Or x:\win98\setup.exe?
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email:

    I think both have been tried. The other night I was on the phone with my
    local computer guru who ran me through these commands and regardless of what
    we did, still got this same message.

    However, I was told before that because this is an update(as opposed to an
    OEM edition)that that was the reason for the message.
    mark mandel, May 5, 2004
  18. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > However, I was told before that because this is an update(as opposed
    > to an OEM edition)that that was the reason for the message.

    I don't believe MS released a 98 upgrade CD that wouldn't run from DOS
    mode. You "think" both have been tried? Can you confirm that?

    DeMoN LaG, May 5, 2004
  19. mark  mandel

    Thor Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > However, I was told before that because this is an update(as opposed
    > > to an OEM edition)that that was the reason for the message.

    > I don't believe MS released a 98 upgrade CD that wouldn't run from DOS
    > mode. You "think" both have been tried? Can you confirm that?

    They released an update from Win98 to Win98SE that was a "step up" CD that
    ran from windows only, IIRC. It didn't have the whole OS file set, only the
    necessary files to add the SE features, bugfixes, etc. to Win98.
    Thor, May 5, 2004
  20. mark  mandel

    Mark Mandell Guest

    Re: Discovery

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > However, I was told before that because this is an update(as opposed
    > > > to an OEM edition)that that was the reason for the message.

    > > I don't believe MS released a 98 upgrade CD that wouldn't run from DOS
    > > mode. You "think" both have been tried? Can you confirm that?

    > They released an update from Win98 to Win98SE that was a "step up" CD that
    > ran from windows only, IIRC. It didn't have the whole OS file set, only

    the
    > necessary files to add the SE features, bugfixes, etc. to Win98.

    Yes, and this is what came with the Compaq PC when I bought it several years
    back.

    Mark Mandell, May 6, 2004