INSTITUTION OF DIAGNOSTIC ENGINEERS

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tom, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    INTRODUCTION TO THE INSTITUTION

    In recognition of the special knowledge and skills needed for the
    diagnosis of deterioration of plant and machinery and the development
    of faults, the INSTITUTION OF DIAGNOSTIC ENGINEERS was formed to
    promote the education and training of such persons.

    The aims of the institution are to be of direct, immediate and
    positive assistance to all who are concerned with the servicing and
    maintenance of machines and structures, or who have a concern for the
    well-being and whole-life effectiveness of all industrial systems.

    It is their belief:

    that the diagnosis of faults, the examination and interpretation of
    defects, the investigation of malfunctions, the introduction and
    operation of condition monitoring – and the numerous related
    activities - involves skills which are not appreciated to the extent
    they deserve.

    that diagnostic skills require a knowledge of many disciplines and an
    understanding of the operating principles of machines, instruments,
    controls; of strengths and functional capabilities. In particular
    skill is needed to compare the behaviour of a machine when ‘in health'
    with what it does when in ‘distress'.

    that they provide the inspiration to assist members to develop and
    extend such skills to maturity.

    that the work and status of a diagnostic engineer should be recognised
    as occupying a very high place in industrial society and that they
    should be appropriately rewarded and honoured.

    that the work and application of a diagnostic engineer is similar to
    that of a physician/medical practitioner who uses similar instruments
    and diagnostic techniques as those used by a trouble-shooting
    engineer.

    that the level of experience needed by a diagnostic engineer is of
    post-experience/post-graduate level and that persons who join the
    Institution display an interest and enthusiasm in developing their
    abilities and skills to the benefit of their employers and clients
    which should be adequately rewarded.

    that membership should not be based solely on an artificial assessment
    through academic achievement but should be wide spread and offered to
    those who have shown practical knowledge and application.

    For further details visit:- www.diagnosticengineers.org

    Tom, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Tom

    Peter Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > INTRODUCTION TO THE INSTITUTION
    > In recognition of the special knowledge and skills needed for the
    > diagnosis of deterioration of plant and machinery and the development
    > of faults, the INSTITUTION OF DIAGNOSTIC ENGINEERS was formed to
    > promote the education and training of such persons.

    It reads like the main purpose of the institution is to raise the status and
    remuneration of members. Fair enough, but I suggest you focus on setting
    some standards so customers know that they're getting the quality they pay
    for.

    > For further details visit:- www.diagnosticengineers.org

    A more professional looking web site would help too.

    good luck !

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Tom

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    >
    >>INTRODUCTION TO THE INSTITUTION
    >>In recognition of the special knowledge and skills needed for the
    >>diagnosis of deterioration of plant and machinery and the development
    >>of faults, the INSTITUTION OF DIAGNOSTIC ENGINEERS was formed to
    >>promote the education and training of such persons.

    > It reads like the main purpose of the institution is to raise the status and
    > remuneration of members. Fair enough, but I suggest you focus on setting
    > some standards so customers know that they're getting the quality they pay
    > for.
    >

    >>For further details visit:- www.diagnosticengineers.org

    > A more professional looking web site would help too.
    >
    > good luck !
    >

    > Peter

    Flippin heck, even I could do better than that and I ain't no web
    designer. Having said that my own home page has some very broken tables
    and CSS - but I'm not an INSTITUTION, yet. Have been teaching my self
    CSS (and HTML long hand) though, and making it cross browser compatable,
    or should that be writing standard code and converting it to IE ?

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> A more professional looking web site would help too.

    > Flippin heck, even I could do better than that and I ain't no web
    > designer.

    eek, I've done better with frontpage.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 20, 2004