    client?

    Thanks,
    John
    John Hyde, Jan 13, 2005

  2. John Hyde

    sh4d03 Guest

    John Hyde wrote:
    > My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
    > process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
    > I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a message
    > here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws. But I
    > can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure instant messenger
    > client?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    I personally use Miranda-im - this is an application that lets you
    combine many popular chat clients - icq, aim, yahoo, jabber, msn, irc
    and many more. Personally I feel this can be considered a version of
    security via obscurity - i.e. most people do NOT use Miranda - thus are
    not as frequently targetted by attacks.

    Furthermore, by what do you mean 'insecure' are you referring to
    insecurity by the people she's talking to? Stalkers etc? Or viruses,
    malware or plain out cracking?

    You can find miranda-im at www.miranda-im.org

    Sh4d03

    --
    If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
    sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide
    sh4d03, Jan 13, 2005

  3. John Hyde <> wrote:

    > I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a
    > message here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws.

    Miranda has already been mentioned. Another Alternative is Trillian:
    www.trillian.cc

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Their sex was so good, even the neighbors lit cigarettes
    Juergen Nieveler, Jan 13, 2005
  4. John Hyde

    Variant Guest

    John Hyde <> wrote:
    > My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
    > process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
    > I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a message
    > here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws. But I
    > can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure instant messenger
    > client?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    GAIM

    http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

    --
    /* - =- = -=-=-=- Variant -=-=-=- = -= - */
    /* v a r i a n t @ r o o t s h e l l . b e */
    Variant, Jan 13, 2005
  5. John Hyde

    sh4d03 Guest

    Variant wrote:
    > John Hyde <> wrote:
    >
    >>My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
    >>process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
    >>I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a message
    >>here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws. But I
    >>can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure instant messenger
    >>client?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>John

    > GAIM
    >
    > http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

    I'm a huge fan of GAIM when I'm using my Linux machines (largely as it
    is essentially the only 'decent' option). As far as Windows is concerned
    as I've already stated Miranda-IM is my favourite so far. This is just
    my opinion and yours could well be different. Have a go at the three
    applications we've all mentioned and see which one suits your
    needs/desires the best.

    Sh4d03

    sh4d03, Jan 14, 2005
  6. John Hyde

    John Hyde Guest

    sh4d03 wrote:
    > John Hyde wrote:
    >
    >> My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
    >> process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
    >> I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a
    >> message here about a replacement that does not suffer from these
    >> flaws. But I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure
    >> instant messenger client?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John

    > I personally use Miranda-im - this is an application that lets you
    > combine many popular chat clients - icq, aim, yahoo, jabber, msn, irc
    > and many more. Personally I feel this can be considered a version of
    > security via obscurity - i.e. most people do NOT use Miranda - thus are
    > not as frequently targetted by attacks.
    >
    > Furthermore, by what do you mean 'insecure' are you referring to
    > insecurity by the people she's talking to? Stalkers etc? Or viruses,
    > malware or plain out cracking?
    >
    > You can find miranda-im at www.miranda-im.org
    >
    > Sh4d03

    Uh, I was talking about viruses, malware, etc. she has some nasties
    installed and has no idea how they got there. My suspicions are
    explorer exploits, AIM exploits, or just plain stupid surfing.

    Fortunately, when one of ber "boyfriends" was trying to send her a file
    and he said "hey you guys must have a firewall . . . unplug it"; she
    told him to piss off. Maybe she's learning.

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

    John
    John Hyde, Jan 14, 2005

    While I have never used Miranda-IM I would have to lean my support to
    GAIM (gaim.org). The client will use various messaging protocols and is
    stable in both the Windows and *Nix environments.

    David Michael Dinner <> 570/947-3110
    Owner, Obtix Networks: http://www.obtix.net
    Personal Site: http://obtix.org
    Public Key: http://www.obtix.net/~ddinner/dmd-pub-key

    ** INTERNET EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE **
    This email contains confidential information which may also be legally
    privileged and which is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
    named above. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
    notified that reading, forwarding, or copying of this email; or the
    taking of any action in reliance on its contents, may be strictly
    prohibited.

    David M. Dinner, Jan 16, 2005
  8. John Hyde

    sh4d03 Guest

    David M. Dinner wrote:

    > While I have never used Miranda-IM I would have to lean my support to
    > GAIM (gaim.org). The client will use various messaging protocols and is
    > stable in both the Windows and *Nix environments.
    >
    > David Michael Dinner <> 570/947-3110
    > Owner, Obtix Networks: http://www.obtix.net
    > Personal Site: http://obtix.org
    > Public Key: http://www.obtix.net/~ddinner/dmd-pub-key
    >

    > ** INTERNET EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE **
    > This email contains confidential information which may also be legally
    > privileged and which is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
    > named above. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
    > notified that reading, forwarding, or copying of this email; or the
    > taking of any action in reliance on its contents, may be strictly
    > prohibited.
    >

    > sh4d03 wrote:
    > | Variant wrote:

    > |> GAIM
    > |>
    > |> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
    > |>
    > | I'm a huge fan of GAIM when I'm using my Linux machines (largely as it
    > | is essentially the only 'decent' option). As far as Windows is concerned
    > | as I've already stated Miranda-IM is my favourite so far. This is just
    > | my opinion and yours could well be different. Have a go at the three
    > | applications we've all mentioned and see which one suits your
    > | needs/desires the best.
    > |
    > | Sh4d03

    Your opinion is noted and valid. I hold nothing against that, just
    venting what I believe to give the most comprehensive reply to the
    initial post as possible.

    Sh4d03

    sh4d03, Jan 18, 2005