    PGUID:60C4E5A2-DBB3-11D6-8B49-00105A9846E9
    $10.0.0.159PAK
    @Windows Service Pack 1 (3790) IE 6.0.3790.1830

    Phil, May 4, 2006

  2. Its possible you need to update the Windows Installer 3.1:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=898715
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 4, 2006

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I tried to update the windows install 3.1
    but windows x64 reported that the kernal cant run in x64 mode so it will not
    install SIC

    went to the installshield devolpers website
    http://www.macrovision.com/is_to_mvsn.shtml
    and consumer website http://consumer.installshield.com/default.asp
    got my answers on the consumers found what looked

    like a plauseable soultion here on the consumer website
    http://consumer.installshield.com/common.asp
    thier kernalupdate crashed on install, and i also found a x64 ikernal on
    thier website dont have the URL handy but it in that section referd to
    previous... no go

    after all this i followed the directory structure found the ikernal
    directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime

    Hence installshield crashing

    ikernal was missing, so full wipe and reinstall seems to be only soultion
    to this problem

    Phil, May 5, 2006
  4. Phil

    Rick Guest

    Did you get the right file? There is a 32-bit one and a 64-bit one.
    The one you need is for Win x64. Start at:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898715

    You'll have a choice of 4 downloads. You need the last one:

    WindowsServer2003-KB898715-ia64-enu.exe
    WindowsServer2003-KB898715-x64-enu.exe
    WindowsServer2003-KB898715-x86-enu.exe
    WindowsXP-KB898715-x64-enu.exe

    Rick, May 6, 2006
  5. Phil

    dhines384 Guest

    While I rely this thread is about 6 months old, I have recently run into
    this problem. When attempting to install just about any program, I get
    the following message

    > The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if
    > you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is
    > not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for
    > assistance.

    I have tried reinstalling the above mentioned download, but it still
    does not work. Does anyone have any ideas?

    --
    dhines384
    dhines384's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22396

    http://forums.techarena.in