Installing XP...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm an idiot.

    I bought a second-hand laptop (ThinkPad R40) from Trademe and blitzed the
    (amatuerish) XP install (without taking an image of it. Doh!) and restored
    an image of an R51 onto the HDD as it had everything set up just how I like
    it. I figured that, as it had a legit COA I'd be fine.

    Anyway, XP found new hardware, uninstalled and installed drivers, then told
    me that it would need to be re-activated due to extensive hardware changes.
    I ignored it while I tested the machine... Turns out I'm not keeping it
    (after swapping out the most excellent 1400x1050 panel) and want to install
    XP Pro using the (legit) COA that's on the machine before I put it up for
    sale again. I didn't get any media with it and there was no restore
    partition.

    So..... What's the best bet? I guess I can get a torrent of an XP install
    disk. However, do I need XP virgin? SP1? Corporate? I think the lappy's from
    around '03 - '04, that pre-dates SP2 right?

    I don't want to keep downloading, then trying, only to get the key rejected
    (if I can help it).

    TIA for any helpful replies....
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I'm an idiot.
    >
    > I bought a second-hand laptop (ThinkPad R40) from Trademe and blitzed the
    > (amatuerish) XP install (without taking an image of it. Doh!) and restored
    > an image of an R51 onto the HDD as it had everything set up just how I like
    > it. I figured that, as it had a legit COA I'd be fine.
    >
    > Anyway, XP found new hardware, uninstalled and installed drivers, then told
    > me that it would need to be re-activated due to extensive hardware changes.
    > I ignored it while I tested the machine... Turns out I'm not keeping it
    > (after swapping out the most excellent 1400x1050 panel) and want to install
    > XP Pro using the (legit) COA that's on the machine before I put it up for
    > sale again. I didn't get any media with it and there was no restore
    > partition.
    >
    > So..... What's the best bet? I guess I can get a torrent of an XP install
    > disk. However, do I need XP virgin? SP1? Corporate? I think the lappy's from
    > around '03 - '04, that pre-dates SP2 right?
    >
    > I don't want to keep downloading, then trying, only to get the key rejected
    > (if I can help it).
    >
    > TIA for any helpful replies....

    Hi Shaun

    Am I right in thinking that it currently has a working (but not
    WGA/activated) XP Pro install on it?

    If you are happy with the current install just use a key changer to
    change the current key to the correct one.

    Let me know if you need a keychanger, I have one floating round here
    somewhere. I think there is even a legit tool somewhere on the MS
    website to do this.

    Regards

    Squigs
    Squiggle, Dec 5, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I'm an idiot.
    >>
    >> I bought a second-hand laptop (ThinkPad R40) from Trademe and
    >> blitzed the (amatuerish) XP install (without taking an image of it.
    >> Doh!) and restored an image of an R51 onto the HDD as it had
    >> everything set up just how I like it. I figured that, as it had a
    >> legit COA I'd be fine.
    >>
    >> Anyway, XP found new hardware, uninstalled and installed drivers,
    >> then told me that it would need to be re-activated due to extensive
    >> hardware changes. I ignored it while I tested the machine... Turns
    >> out I'm not keeping it (after swapping out the most excellent
    >> 1400x1050 panel) and want to install XP Pro using the (legit) COA
    >> that's on the machine before I put it up for sale again. I didn't
    >> get any media with it and there was no restore partition.
    >>
    >> So..... What's the best bet? I guess I can get a torrent of an XP
    >> install disk. However, do I need XP virgin? SP1? Corporate? I think
    >> the lappy's from around '03 - '04, that pre-dates SP2 right?
    >>
    >> I don't want to keep downloading, then trying, only to get the key
    >> rejected (if I can help it).
    >>
    >> TIA for any helpful replies....

    > Hi Shaun

    Hey,

    > Am I right in thinking that it currently has a working (but not
    > WGA/activated) XP Pro install on it?

    It has a XP Pro Corporate install on it.

    > If you are happy with the current install just use a key changer to
    > change the current key to the correct one.

    Actually the current install is a bit.... personalised. Power-user style.
    <g>

    I want to do a clean, legit install using the key on the bottom of the
    machine. Then leave it with the "30 days to activate" thing so whomever buys
    it on Trademe can activate. Or I s'pose I can activate it myself, I'm not
    sure what the correct or easiest-for-the-buyer procedure would be.

    Do you know if I can do a corporate install, then use the keychanger?

    > Let me know if you need a keychanger, I have one floating round here
    > somewhere. I think there is even a legit tool somewhere on the MS
    > website to do this.

    I might need it...

    Cheers mate,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:

    > Hey,
    >
    >> Am I right in thinking that it currently has a working (but not
    >> WGA/activated) XP Pro install on it?

    > It has a XP Pro Corporate install on it.
    >
    >> If you are happy with the current install just use a key changer to
    >> change the current key to the correct one.

    > Actually the current install is a bit.... personalised. Power-user style.
    > <g>
    >
    > I want to do a clean, legit install using the key on the bottom of the
    > machine. Then leave it with the "30 days to activate" thing so whomever buys
    > it on Trademe can activate. Or I s'pose I can activate it myself, I'm not
    > sure what the correct or easiest-for-the-buyer procedure would be.
    >
    > Do you know if I can do a corporate install, then use the keychanger?

    >> Let me know if you need a keychanger, I have one floating round here
    >> somewhere. I think there is even a legit tool somewhere on the MS
    >> website to do this.

    > I might need it...
    >
    > Cheers mate,

    since somebody already pointed you to a keychanger and your email addy
    bounced on me i'll put this in here.

    A quick google makes me think this might not be totally painless.
    You may have to get some nice person to send you a copy of the setup.ini
    file off the correct install media for the thinkpad. At the very least
    you will need to get XP pro OEM media, or make your own by copying the
    VLK media and editing the setup.ini file in the process. at least thats
    my initial assessment of the info in the links below.

    anyway, browse these pages and come to you own conclusions.

    http://www.gabrieldiaz.net/tech-log...d-to-reinstall-windows-xp-using-a-product-key
    http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/.../thread/caaeafa1-80d6-494d-a085-5d7a9a4cf6fe/
    Squiggle, Dec 5, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > I'm an idiot.
    >
    > I bought a second-hand laptop (ThinkPad R40) from Trademe and blitzed the
    > (amatuerish) XP install (without taking an image of it. Doh!) and restored
    > an image of an R51 onto the HDD as it had everything set up just how I
    > like it. I figured that, as it had a legit COA I'd be fine.
    >
    > Anyway, XP found new hardware, uninstalled and installed drivers, then
    > told me that it would need to be re-activated due to extensive hardware
    > changes. I ignored it while I tested the machine... Turns out I'm not
    > keeping it (after swapping out the most excellent 1400x1050 panel) and
    > want to install XP Pro using the (legit) COA that's on the machine before
    > I put it up for sale again. I didn't get any media with it and there was
    > no restore partition.
    >
    > So..... What's the best bet? I guess I can get a torrent of an XP install
    > disk. However, do I need XP virgin? SP1? Corporate? I think the lappy's
    > from around '03 - '04, that pre-dates SP2 right?
    >
    > I don't want to keep downloading, then trying, only to get the key
    > rejected (if I can help it).
    >
    > TIA for any helpful replies....
    > --
    > Shaun.

    The COA label states whether it's Home or Professional. Assuming it's XP Pro
    that leaves the question as to whether it's OEM, Retail, or Corporate
    edition. It's very rare to ship laptops with anything but OEM editions. Any
    service pack level will work with a legit key.
    So download an XP Pro OEM ISO.
    If something goes wrong you can edit the setupp.ini file (in the ISO) in 3
    different ways to generate all 3 types of XP media (OEM, retail, corporate)
    by following this guide here...
    http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t117527.html

    J&H.
    Je|, Dec 5, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:

    >>> Hey,

    >>> It has a XP Pro Corporate install on it.

    >>> Actually the current install is a bit.... personalised. Power-user
    >>> style. <g>
    >>>
    >>> I want to do a clean, legit install using the key on the bottom of
    >>> the machine. Then leave it with the "30 days to activate" thing so
    >>> whomever buys it on Trademe can activate. Or I s'pose I can
    >>> activate it myself, I'm not sure what the correct or
    >>> easiest-for-the-buyer procedure would be.
    >>>
    >>> Do you know if I can do a corporate install, then use the
    >>> keychanger?
    >>>
    >>> I might need it...
    >>>
    >>> Cheers mate,
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>

    >> Hey Shaun, here's where you can get the keychanger.
    >> http://magicaljellybean.com/

    > Oh I meant to say, go to the downloads page and choose the "Download
    > Older Versions" at the bottom of the page.
    > Choose version 1.41 or 1.51 as they are easier to use, 'Change
    > Windows Key' is in the Options tab.

    Thanks, appreciated.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:

    >> Hey,
    >>
    >>> Am I right in thinking that it currently has a working (but not
    >>> WGA/activated) XP Pro install on it?

    >> It has a XP Pro Corporate install on it.
    >>
    >>> If you are happy with the current install just use a key changer to
    >>> change the current key to the correct one.

    >> Actually the current install is a bit.... personalised. Power-user style.
    >> <g>
    >>
    >> I want to do a clean, legit install using the key on the bottom of the
    >> machine. Then leave it with the "30 days to activate" thing so whomever
    >> buys
    >> it on Trademe can activate. Or I s'pose I can activate it myself, I'm not
    >> sure what the correct or easiest-for-the-buyer procedure would be.
    >>
    >> Do you know if I can do a corporate install, then use the keychanger?

    >>> Let me know if you need a keychanger, I have one floating round here
    >>> somewhere. I think there is even a legit tool somewhere on the MS
    >>> website to do this.

    >> I might need it...
    >>
    >> Cheers mate,

    > since somebody already pointed you to a keychanger and your email addy
    > bounced on me i'll put this in here.
    >
    > A quick google makes me think this might not be totally painless.

    I suspect your suspicions are right. From memory there will be problems
    unless you are changing to a key from the same type of install, i.e.
    corporate. But Misfit wants to use the correct OEM key and WPA which
    requires an OEM key on a corporate install. My prediction is that the
    install blows up (with the OEM key), or service packs won't work.

    J&H.
    Je|, Dec 5, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:

    >> Hey,
    >>
    >>> Am I right in thinking that it currently has a working (but not
    >>> WGA/activated) XP Pro install on it?

    >> It has a XP Pro Corporate install on it.
    >>
    >>> If you are happy with the current install just use a key changer to
    >>> change the current key to the correct one.

    >> Actually the current install is a bit.... personalised. Power-user
    >> style. <g>
    >>
    >> I want to do a clean, legit install using the key on the bottom of
    >> the machine. Then leave it with the "30 days to activate" thing so
    >> whomever buys it on Trademe can activate. Or I s'pose I can activate
    >> it myself, I'm not sure what the correct or easiest-for-the-buyer
    >> procedure would be.
    >>
    >> Do you know if I can do a corporate install, then use the keychanger?

    >>> Let me know if you need a keychanger, I have one floating round here
    >>> somewhere. I think there is even a legit tool somewhere on the MS
    >>> website to do this.

    >> I might need it...
    >>
    >> Cheers mate,

    > since somebody already pointed you to a keychanger and your email addy
    > bounced on me i'll put this in here.

    Fixed now. For some reason that email addy died. :-(

    > A quick google makes me think this might not be totally painless.

    Yeah, that's the impression I got.

    > You may have to get some nice person to send you a copy of the
    > setup.ini file off the correct install media for the thinkpad. At the
    > very least you will need to get XP pro OEM media, or make your own by
    > copying the VLK media and editing the setup.ini file in the process.
    > at least thats my initial assessment of the info in the links below.
    >
    > anyway, browse these pages and come to you own conclusions.
    >
    > http://www.gabrieldiaz.net/tech-log...d-to-reinstall-windows-xp-using-a-product-key
    > http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html
    > http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/.../thread/caaeafa1-80d6-494d-a085-5d7a9a4cf6fe/

    Thanks. It looks like I'm going to have to put some time aside to tackle
    this. I'd like to get the thing listed for the Xmas market (if there is one
    this year).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "ݬ¬ & µÝÐe" <jekyll&" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm an idiot.
    >>
    >> I bought a second-hand laptop (ThinkPad R40) from Trademe and
    >> blitzed the (amatuerish) XP install (without taking an image of it.
    >> Doh!) and restored an image of an R51 onto the HDD as it had
    >> everything set up just how I like it. I figured that, as it had a
    >> legit COA I'd be fine. Anyway, XP found new hardware, uninstalled and
    >> installed drivers,
    >> then told me that it would need to be re-activated due to extensive
    >> hardware changes. I ignored it while I tested the machine... Turns
    >> out I'm not keeping it (after swapping out the most excellent
    >> 1400x1050 panel) and want to install XP Pro using the (legit) COA
    >> that's on the machine before I put it up for sale again. I didn't
    >> get any media with it and there was no restore partition.
    >>
    >> So..... What's the best bet? I guess I can get a torrent of an XP
    >> install disk. However, do I need XP virgin? SP1? Corporate? I think
    >> the lappy's from around '03 - '04, that pre-dates SP2 right?
    >>
    >> I don't want to keep downloading, then trying, only to get the key
    >> rejected (if I can help it).
    >>
    >> TIA for any helpful replies....

    > The COA label states whether it's Home or Professional. Assuming it's
    > XP Pro that leaves the question as to whether it's OEM, Retail, or
    > Corporate edition. It's very rare to ship laptops with anything but
    > OEM editions. Any service pack level will work with a legit key.
    > So download an XP Pro OEM ISO.
    > If something goes wrong you can edit the setupp.ini file (in the ISO)
    > in 3 different ways to generate all 3 types of XP media (OEM, retail,
    > corporate) by following this guide here...
    > http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t117527.html

    Ok, thanks J&H. I just used my quota for today, I've been told by a mate in
    the US that I just *HAVE* to watch a series called "Fringe" so have it all
    queued up. Three episodes in the bag so far, might go start watching soon...

    I shall try Demonoid for a torrent of an OEM XP Pro ISO tomorrow.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I'm an idiot.
    >
    > I bought a second-hand laptop (ThinkPad R40) from Trademe and blitzed the
    > (amatuerish) XP install (without taking an image of it. Doh!) and restored
    > an image of an R51 onto the HDD as it had everything set up just how I like
    > it. I figured that, as it had a legit COA I'd be fine.
    >
    > Anyway, XP found new hardware, uninstalled and installed drivers, then told
    > me that it would need to be re-activated due to extensive hardware changes.
    > I ignored it while I tested the machine... Turns out I'm not keeping it
    > (after swapping out the most excellent 1400x1050 panel) and want to install
    > XP Pro using the (legit) COA that's on the machine before I put it up for
    > sale again. I didn't get any media with it and there was no restore
    > partition.
    >
    > So..... What's the best bet? I guess I can get a torrent of an XP install
    > disk. However, do I need XP virgin? SP1? Corporate? I think the lappy's from
    > around '03 - '04, that pre-dates SP2 right?
    >
    > I don't want to keep downloading, then trying, only to get the key rejected
    > (if I can help it).
    >
    > TIA for any helpful replies....

    I think I have a genuine IBM XP CD that will work with an R40. You're
    welcome to borrow it if need be.
    EMB, Dec 5, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "ݬ¬ & µÝÐe" <jekyll&"
    >> typed:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> The COA label states whether it's Home or Professional. Assuming
    >>> it's XP Pro that leaves the question as to whether it's OEM,
    >>> Retail, or Corporate edition. It's very rare to ship laptops with
    >>> anything but OEM editions. Any service pack level will work with a
    >>> legit key. So download an XP Pro OEM ISO.
    >>> If something goes wrong you can edit the setupp.ini file (in the
    >>> ISO) in 3 different ways to generate all 3 types of XP media (OEM,
    >>> retail, corporate) by following this guide here...
    >>> http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t117527.html

    >> Ok, thanks J&H. I just used my quota for today, I've been told by a
    >> mate in the US that I just *HAVE* to watch a series called "Fringe"
    >> so have it all queued up. Three episodes in the bag so far, might go
    >> start watching soon... I shall try Demonoid for a torrent of an OEM XP
    >> Pro ISO tomorrow.

    > I was a bit disappointed in that series.. I was expecting something
    > similar to the x-files but it just didn't seem as good to me. <shrug>

    I've watched the first couple, so far it's so-so.

    He was raving about the season finale, said it went to a whole new level.
    <shrug>
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I'm an idiot.
    >>
    >> I bought a second-hand laptop (ThinkPad R40) from Trademe and
    >> blitzed the (amatuerish) XP install (without taking an image of it.
    >> Doh!) and restored an image of an R51 onto the HDD as it had
    >> everything set up just how I like it. I figured that, as it had a
    >> legit COA I'd be fine. Anyway, XP found new hardware, uninstalled and
    >> installed drivers,
    >> then told me that it would need to be re-activated due to extensive
    >> hardware changes. I ignored it while I tested the machine... Turns
    >> out I'm not keeping it (after swapping out the most excellent
    >> 1400x1050 panel) and want to install XP Pro using the (legit) COA
    >> that's on the machine before I put it up for sale again. I didn't
    >> get any media with it and there was no restore partition.
    >>
    >> So..... What's the best bet? I guess I can get a torrent of an XP
    >> install disk. However, do I need XP virgin? SP1? Corporate? I think
    >> the lappy's from around '03 - '04, that pre-dates SP2 right?
    >>
    >> I don't want to keep downloading, then trying, only to get the key
    >> rejected (if I can help it).
    >>
    >> TIA for any helpful replies....

    > I think I have a genuine IBM XP CD that will work with an R40. You're
    > welcome to borrow it if need be.

    Thanks EMB, that might be the best answer, depending on when I can get up
    your way. I'd like to get it on Trademe in plenty of time for Xmas...
    Although I don't know if it'll make that big a difference.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 5, 2008