    been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on
    there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly
    perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

    Matt, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Matt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    news:5Yzxe.22839$...
    > I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
    > processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
    > connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
    > the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know if
    > you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
    > problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
    > "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have running
    > right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has been
    > stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on there
    > before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly perhaps, but
    > it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

    Give it up. Your processor has half the speed you need, and you have less
    than half the memory you need, and your hard drive is way too wimpy. That
    boat anchor was built for Windows 95 and is way below Microsoft's
    recommended minimum hardware requirements.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Matt

    Guest

    On Matt <> wrote:

    |>I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
    |>processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
    |>connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
    |>the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know
    |>if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
    |>problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
    |>"registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have
    |>running right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has
    |>been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on
    |>there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly
    |>perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

    Turn it off, then back on let if notice it hasn't completed the
    install and attempt to repair itself?

    Go to a bare bones system remove anything not required to install the
    OS then add them back after it's done?

    Boot up with a Win98 boot disk
    http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads/BootDisks/boot98.exe
    This will Install your CD at the A:\ prompt type in: smartdrv
    then the <cd> i386/winnt command?
    --
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,

    , Jul 2, 2005
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matt, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Matt wrote:
    > I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
    > processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
    > connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I
    > made the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let
    > me know if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent
    > here. The problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it
    > gets to the "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The
    > one I have running right now is my third attempt at installing from
    > scratch and has been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I
    > had XP Pro on there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a
    > little slowly perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get
    > past that step?

    You're an idiot.

    Did you check the minimum specs before you proceeded? No, you did not.
    Did you run the upgrade advisor? No, you did not.

    The hard drive is way too small (20GB is the minimum needed, I'd say) the
    CPU is *FAR* too slow and you have nowhere near enough RAM. I don't know
    where you thought you had XP on there before - in your dreams, probably.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jul 2, 2005
  6. Matt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <> wrote in message
    > Matt wrote:
    >> I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
    >> processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
    >> connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I
    >> made the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let
    >> me know if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent
    >> here. The problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it
    >> gets to the "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The
    >> one I have running right now is my third attempt at installing from
    >> scratch and has been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I
    >> had XP Pro on there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a
    >> little slowly perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get
    >> past that step?

    > You're an idiot.
    >
    > Did you check the minimum specs before you proceeded? No, you did not.
    > Did you run the upgrade advisor? No, you did not.
    >
    > The hard drive is way too small (20GB is the minimum needed, I'd say) the
    > CPU is *FAR* too slow and you have nowhere near enough RAM. I don't know
    > where you thought you had XP on there before - in your dreams, probably.

    Yeah - the OP said "a little slowly perhaps" and I'm thinking "Start the
    computer, plant a coffee bean, let it grow, ripen, harvest, roast, grind and
    brew a cup, and hope the computer is ready to run when you get back..."

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2005
  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    > You're an idiot.
    >
    > Did you check the minimum specs before you proceeded? No, you did not.

    Actually, I did.

    > Did you run the upgrade advisor? No, you did not.

    This was not a possibility as the computer was not connected to the
    internet (stated in my original post).

    > The hard drive is way too small (20GB is the minimum needed, I'd say)

    I had the previous XP installation on just over 1.0GB on a 1.5GB drive.
    Microsoft says 1.5GB is the required amount.

    > the
    > CPU is *FAR* too slow

    OK, I agree with that one. It groaned its way through though.

    > and you have nowhere near enough RAM.

    64MB minimum says Microsoft. I have 80MB. Yes, slow, but it worked for
    what I wanted that particular computer for.

    >I don't know
    > where you thought you had XP on there before - in your dreams, probably.

    I'm trying not to be rude, but the question I asked was not whether or
    not the computer met XP's minimum requirements (which, with the
    exception of the processor, it does). I realize that it's going to move
    rather slowly. It was working before though. I would appreciate thoughts
    about my original question if anyone has any.

    Matt, Jul 2, 2005
  8. Matt

    FML Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
    > processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
    > connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
    > the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know
    > if you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
    > problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
    > "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have
    > running right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has
    > been stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on
    > there before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly
    > perhaps, but it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

    Do you have a boat? Does it need an anchor?

    C'mon dude. Put the thing out to pasture or maybe put a character mode
    install of Linux on it and use it to learn that.

    I am going to take your word for the fact that you had XPPro running on
    that thing. You may want to send a letter to Rome to apply for miracle
    status on that alone.

    You don't have enough CPU power, RAM, or HD to do XP. Even if you could
    get it installed, the performance would be abysmal.

    In a world where you can get an entry level Dell for $299 (USD) why
    would you want to mess with this dinosaur?

    FML, Jul 2, 2005
  9. Matt

    old jon Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on an old computer I have...166Mhz
    > processor, 80MB RAM, 4.3GB HDD with a 1.5GB slave. The computer is not
    > connected to the internet at all. I can't boot from CD on it, so I made
    > the 6 floppy disks and started the installation with those. Let me know if
    > you need any more info...I'm not sure what all is relevent here. The
    > problem is that the installation hangs forever whenever it gets to the
    > "registering components" step with 13 minutes left. The one I have running
    > right now is my third attempt at installing from scratch and has been
    > stuck at that step for more than 24 hours now. I had XP Pro on there
    > before, so I know the computer can run XP (a little slowly perhaps, but
    > it's workable). Any idea why it can't get past that step?

    While agreeing that the poor old computer is gonna struggle. If you were to
    remove any PCI\ISA
    cards, except Video card. Then try a fresh install, it`s possible you might
    succeed. i had one system that `looped` on trying to find a modem card, till
    I found out the problem.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jul 2, 2005
  10. Matt

    Guest

    On Matt <> wrote:

    |> wrote:
    |>> Boot up with a Win98 boot disk
    |>> http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads/BootDisks/boot98.exe
    |>> This will Install your CD at the A:\ prompt type in: smartdrv
    |>> then the <cd> i386/winnt command?

    |>smartdrv? Doesn't appear to be on that disk...

    Sorry took it for granted that it was, you really have to run smartdrv
    before winnt or it could take days to finish the install :}
    (incredibly slow)
    --
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,
    then beat you with experience......

    , Jul 2, 2005
  11. Matt

    Larry Crites Guest

    Because the dinosaur might actually be better than the Dell?

    Larry
    Behold Beware Believe

    Larry Crites, Jul 2, 2005
  12. Matt

    FML Guest

    Larry Crites wrote:
    > Because the dinosaur might actually be better than the Dell?
    >
    > Larry
    > Behold Beware Believe
    >
    > "FML" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | In a world where you can get an entry level Dell for $299 (USD) why
    > | would you want to mess with this dinosaur?

    First, the Dell price was just an example. You can get similar deals
    elsewhere. Second, no matter how you feel about Dell, there is no way
    that you can convince me that the system described by the OP is better
    than any system Dell sells.

    FML, Jul 2, 2005
  13. Matt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > Larry Crites wrote:
    >> Because the dinosaur might actually be better than the Dell?
    >>
    >> Larry
    >> Behold Beware Believe
    >>
    >> "FML" <> wrote in message
    >> |
    >> | In a world where you can get an entry level Dell for $299 (USD) why
    >> | would you want to mess with this dinosaur?
    >>

    > First, the Dell price was just an example. You can get similar deals
    > elsewhere. Second, no matter how you feel about Dell, there is no way that
    > you can convince me that the system described by the OP is better than any
    > system Dell sells.

    True. I have a 6 year old Dell system sitting here in my living room that is
    way better than that beast. It was free. Free is *definately* better than
    trying to get XP to crawl on that P166.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2005
  14. Matt

    Matt Guest

    wrote:

    > |>smartdrv? Doesn't appear to be on that disk...
    >

    > Sorry took it for granted that it was, you really have to run smartdrv
    > before winnt or it could take days to finish the install :}
    > (incredibly slow)

    Found smartdrv and dumped it on the disk, but I discovered that
    particular boot floppy decides to create its own little world to live
    in...makes a 2MB "RAM drive" that it calls the C: drive, so whenever XP
    installation tries to start, all it finds is this 2MB disk instead of my
    usual hard drive and it throws a fit because 2MB isn't big enough. I
    can't find a command to mount my hard drive...

    Matt, Jul 2, 2005
  15. Matt

    Guest

    On Matt <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Sorry took it for granted that it was, you really have to run smartdrv
    |>> before winnt or it could take days to finish the install :}
    |>> (incredibly slow)

    |>Found smartdrv and dumped it on the disk, but I discovered that
    |>particular boot floppy decides to create its own little world to live
    |>in...makes a 2MB "RAM drive" that it calls the C: drive, so whenever XP
    |>installation tries to start, all it finds is this 2MB disk instead of my
    |>usual hard drive and it throws a fit because 2MB isn't big enough. I
    |>can't find a command to mount my hard drive...

    I don't know what to say, your hard drive should be detected thru the
    bios, Could be your problem.

    --
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,
    then beat you with experience......

    , Jul 2, 2005
  16. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Sooo...who wants to buy me a new computer to play with then? I'm about
    ready to throw this one out the window just for the satisfaction of it
    breaking into lots of little pieces... I've got about $10 I could spare
    right now :p

    Matt, Jul 2, 2005
  17. Matt

    Sly Guest

    go to your local goodwill, people bring in newer computers all the time as
    donations and they can be picked up for as little as $5.00

    Sly, Jul 2, 2005
  18. Matt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    If he was closer, I'd give him one out of my scrap room. There's about half
    a dozen there.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2005
  19. Matt

    unwashed Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Sooo...who wants to buy me a new computer to play with then? I'm about
    > ready to throw this one out the window just for the satisfaction of it
    > breaking into lots of little pieces... I've got about $10 I could spare
    > right now :p

    Buy A new Playstation, it at least will be Blu-ray compatible,
    have upgrade potential, and you won't have to fret about
    silly operating systems such as Windoze.
    Nor will you have to busy yourself with posts to newsgroups
    where the rest of us are totally puzzled that you even considered
    that Microsoft's XP would function coherently on such an ancient
    spec machine as you attempted to install upon?
    There is also the issue of some who perceive that XP in either
    pro or the fringed domestic version, was conceived by MS as
    a bonus to the hardware industry, who looked to buddy Bill
    to produce a stable OS that required we poor mugs to spend
    further hard-earned dosh on hardware upgrades - RAM, processor
    etc etc, so as to use the stable and software friendly XP but in
    doing so we had to direct further cash to the hardware OEM's.
    This is a viable and genuine question, but you stated you had
    run XP pro on that low-spec machine?
    But what exactly functioned? Either software or Hardware-
    on such a machine running the resource consuming XP pro?
    Please detail how the PC functioned with such low specifications?
    Many thanks, and waiting in anticipation of your detailed reply.

    unwashed, Jul 3, 2005
  20. Matt

    Gary Guest

    Are you getting any error message when it hangs as

    "parsing error a line number in text file "

    Something like that ?

    Andy

    Gary, Jul 3, 2005