    want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings be
    saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
    tia
    Ðaz ©., Dec 7, 2003

  2. Ðaz ©.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    If you tell it to upgrade all your settings will be saved. I recommend
    backing up your files, upgrading, and see if everything is working fine. If
    there are any problems then you can always start over with a clean install.

    pcbutts1, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Ðaz ©.

    Harrison Guest

    I was going to reply, but then I read pcbutts's response and realized
    that it can't be improved upon.

    Harrison, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Ðaz ©. wrote:
    > want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings be
    > saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
    > tia

    THEORETICALLY... it should al come through just fine. But the line I
    follow this up with is, "Theoretically, Grig, we should already be
    DEAD!" (The Last Starfighter).

    XP does have an Uninstall feature, so that if you don't like it, you can
    just zap it off.

    Seriously, I would *highly* suggest investing in a second HD and
    installing XP Clean to that drive and dual-boot the 98 drive. If nothing
    else, Just Incase. After all, I don't trust MS product any further than
    I can code it.

    Good Luck! I'm pullin' for ya.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Ðaz ©.

    M Mullen Guest

    On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:07:34 -0000, "?az ?." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:
    (E-mail sent if a reply)

    |> want to install xp over win98, will all my documents and dial up settings be
    |> saved if I am not going to reformat, or would a clean install be best?
    |> tia

    A clean install, no question. You know what you've got, and not worry which
    file\driver\dll is really installed.

    I'd follow BuffNET suggestion. If not a second drive make a new partition and
    install XP there.

    RIght now I boot 98\2000\XP I use 2000 extensively, but have to boot into 98 as
    It's the only system that lets me connect and transfer my Pix and Videos from
    my cell phone.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w