Installing XP x64 on SATA RAID 0

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Paul, Aug 23, 2008.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Attempting to install XP x64 on a new computer I just built. I have created
    the RAID array using the onboard RAID controller and it is listed as
    'healthy' during bootup. Windows Setup loads all the necessary files, then
    crashes before it can enter the installation screen. I get a BSOD with the
    following error "STOP: 0x0000007B (etc), (etc),(etc)" I understand this to
    be an error due to an inaccessible boot device. So, I try again this time
    hitting 'F6' to install third party RAID drivers. Setup tells me it will
    "load support for the following devices: none" I hit 'S' to specify drivers
    and it tells me it cannot find a floppy drive installed on my machine. I do
    not have a floppy drive, nor do I intend on installing one. The RAID drivers
    are on a CD from my motherboard manufacturer (EVGA), is there a way to
    install these drivers without needing to install a floppy drive?

    System Specs:
    EVGA nForce 780i motherboard
    Intel E8500 Processor
    Dual 500GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives

    Thank you for your help!!
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 23, 2008

  2. No. You must have a floppy drive. (well, OK, you can build a custom, inline,
    install CD for XP x64 that has them in it. But not trivial.)

    Borrow a floppy. Buy one for $10 USD. Use a USB Floppy. Whatever method you
    want. You won't need it after the install, unless or until you have to
    reinstall. Then you'll need it again. You can remove it after the install
    completes.

    This problem is gone in Vista, which accepts CD, USB, or Floppy. But it is
    still there in XP/2003.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 23, 2008

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Charlie,

    Thank you for the quick reply. I will locate a floppy. Thanks for your help!

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Paul

    Carlos Guest

    And make sure you have downloaded the latest drivers from here:
    http://www.evga.com/Support/Drivers/Default.asp
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 23, 2008
  5. Paul

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > No. You must have a floppy drive. (well, OK, you can build a
    > custom, inline, install CD for XP x64 that has them in it. But not
    > trivial.)

    Not sure about the OP's motherboard but some BIOSs can be set so SATA
    drives are recognized as IDE drives, mine is one of them and XP
    installs with no problem and no need to hit F8 during install although
    my HDs are SATA as are my optical drives. The OP needs to do some
    searching in his BIOS settings.

    Alternatively I've heard that there may be some BIOSs that will allow a
    flash drive to be recognized as a floppy but I'm not sure that's true?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Sep 18, 2008
  6. There are some that will allow SATA as IDE. But none that I'm aware of that
    will allow SATA RAID0 as IDE. ;-)

    I would be surprised if the USB as floppy thing worked for this. Knowing at
    what a low level this whole thing actually works. (The old NT boot code is
    some of the most basic code in Windows, I'm told. )

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 18, 2008