Installing xp x 64 bit Trial... Help needed

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by T5, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. T5

    T5 Guest

    Hi All,
    I have Athlon 64 dualcore 3800, 300gb, 2gb DDR, Asus A8N
    Mobo, Nvidia GeoForce 6800. Windows Media Centre 2005 windows xp Home sp2
    all updates. No worms, spyware,malware, viruses, trojans etc etc.

    I have just downloaded the xp x 64 pro trial from MS 558 mb and as per
    instructions burnt it to a disc. I tried using the setup file but it tells
    me that i need to boot from the disc. I tried but it will not boot from the
    disc, I have changed the boot priority from hd to cd drive but still
    nothing, it still boots into windows as if nothing was in the cd drive.

    I only have a C drive at the moment but I do have partition magic, do I need
    to create a partition to install the trial?

    What is stopping me from installing the trial? Could somebody take me
    through the procedure Please.

    Another problem that I have is that I am using a 26" HD TV as my monitor and
    it doesn't show the boot sequence, it only shows when I arrive at the Login
    screen why is this? This means that I have to change to my smaller pc
    monitor whenever I want to do anything with the bios settings or boot
    sequence.

    T5, Jan 21, 2006

  2. If you want to erase your current partition with Windows XP MCE 2005, then a
    partition won't be necessary, but I would recommend you create one. First
    things first, why do you want Windows XP Professional x64 on your computer?
    Check out Charlie Russel overview of x64 to see if it fits your needs and if
    searching for drivers and hoping they work is a adventure for you instead of
    a chore:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/29/77166.aspx

    Did you get the option to boot off CD before loaded XP MCE? Someone had
    issues with a USB Keyboard not allowing them boot off the disk, even though
    the selected the appropriate boot sequence and hit any key boot off the
    disk. The recommendation was to use a PS/2 Keyboard. (Thanks Charlie)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 21, 2006

  3. You can't install onto the same partition as an existing version of Windows.
    So you'd need to create another partition. Second, you need to boot from the
    CD to install, so make sure you've burned the CD as a bootable CD. See the
    instructions here: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm -
    they're excellent.

    Also, be aware that MCE functionality is not available in x64 Edition at
    this time. And probably won't be until Vista ships later this year.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 21, 2006
  4. > NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - just listen to the
    comments; for some reason it is reasonable to have to boot to differnet
    operating systems to have to check on things or to run other programs. If
    x64 was any good, you would no longer need x86. Do not let these geeks
    convince you that it is no big deal. They spend ALL of their time on the
    computer. Unless you do too, then do not get this OS! You cannot use any
    attached equipment older than what is currently marketed by other companies.
    That means, No Palm, No Printer, No Scanner, NO Webcam. Do Not Let Charlie
    Russel or any of these people mimimize the problems that people are having.
    Just loook at the PlanetAMD site under x64 and driver-issues and you will get
    an idea. No consumer should be suckered into becoming a computer technician.

    =?Utf-8?B?am9lYmVybGU=?=, Jan 22, 2006
  5. T5

    T5 Guest

    Oh Dear,
    I'm with you on that Joe
    Not convincing is it? So If I have a 64bit ready system and I am being
    advised not to install xp x64 pro then why do I have a 64bit ready system?
    My new pc MCE was advertised on the MESH website as being available with x64
    but apparently MCE doesn't work with x64 so why advertise it as such? I am a
    lifelong Microsoft user, going back to the windows 3.1 but I am now a
    confused user who really cannot be bothered to follow the endless trail of
    newsgroups.... usergroups......forums etc etc just to be able to use my
    latest pc.
    If I bought a new Rolls Royce, I would expect it to look good and perform
    without fault, if it did develop a fault then the makers come and cover it
    up, place it on a low loader and take it to the RR doctors and fix it. Now,
    like all prestige, bespoke objects, you pay a premium but get a
    comprehensive backup/service/replacement deal.... with Microsoft you don't.
    MS have consistently sold a flawed product to many millions of users and I
    am getting weary of it. I want an out of the box system that works not a
    jack in the box system that doesnt.

    T5, Jan 22, 2006
  6. You have a 64 bit enabled processor to prepare for the future. Also, would
    you prefer to pay for a 32-bit system that cost just as much a 64-bit
    system. Fine, if you want to be on the dead end fine.

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 22, 2006
  7. T5

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:39:02 -0800, "joeberle"
    <> wrote:

    >Do not let these geeks
    >convince you that it is no big deal.

    On ya! Then don't buy it. It's as simple as that.
    I am sure that the OP can figure that one out for himself,
    after all, why should we trust you, instead of Andre or Charlie?

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jan 23, 2006
  8. I don't know if this will help but I've just downloaded the trial and have
    the same problem.Won't boot from CD,can't find set up file as instructed.I've
    made 4 images but still no joy.
    I've just used winzip and it expanded the iso to reveal 9 files one of which
    is Setup.Also when I try to run the disc I get the message that this disc can
    only be booted from disc.So it would seem to be the correct.
    Have Microsoft stitched us up?
    I've cloned my present OS to another disc,which is what I suggest other
    users should do (Using Acronis True Image awesome Program)
    Here I Go Wish me Luck

    =?Utf-8?B?dWxmaXJl?=, Apr 30, 2006
  9. you need to burn the ISO as an image. For excellent instructions on how to
    write an ISO file to a CD correctly, I recommend:

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 30, 2006
  10. Thanks for the reply but i have already tried to burn the file as an image
    and it just doesn't work My computer just boots straight into windows XP
    after the initial boot from CD ,I don't get the press any key message.
    I have downloaded a trial before about 6 months ago ,I had no problems
    making the disc.In fact I just tried it and it gave me the option to load
    x64.I didn't bother because that trial was out of date.
    I only used it a few times and didn't find it functional at the time.There
    are more drivers available now so I thought that I'd download the trial again
    out of curiosity.At the end of the day Vista is around the corner,perhaps
    i'll wait for that,assuming that it will be compatable with my hardware.
    I'm downloading another copy of the x64 evaluation,perhaps the first one was
    corrupt.Very strange really

    =?Utf-8?B?dWxmaXJl?=, Apr 30, 2006
  11. T5

    Jane Colman Guest

    Did you remember to set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from CDRom drive
    first?

    --
    Jane, but not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

    Jane Colman, Apr 30, 2006
  12. Why would that trial you downloaded a few months ago be out of date? You
    should have at least up five installs out of it, with the key you got. You
    could reattempt with the new got with the new download of the iso.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 30, 2006
  13. T5

    Testmonkey Guest

    yo i have a a full copy of win x64 with key u can have it dont work with the
    ATI x1900 all in wonder there is no drivers for the tv tunner

    Testmonkey, Apr 30, 2006
  14. If you get the press any key, and it doesn't boot to the CD when you press
    the key, then the problem is your USB keyboard, most likely. It's not being
    seen by the installation program. This probably means you need to modify
    your BIOS to enable Legacy mode for USB keyboards. Or simply use a PS/2
    keyboard.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 30, 2006
  15. OK ,it's me again.Firstly not plain Jane ,Are you having a laugh?(Don't take
    offence,none meant).
    Anyway ,I downloaded another copy of the trial,burned the image ,worked
    first time.Must have been a corrupted download .One thing is that I can't
    seem to install an antivrus suite .Any suggestions? (I've got norton security
    suite but I don't want to use it because I don't much like it)

    =?Utf-8?B?dWxmaXJl?=, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Thanks for the offer testmonkey.I'm still not convinced about x64 as there
    are programs that I still can't run ,most impotantly antivirus at the
    moment.It's like owning a Ferrari and having no petrol.
    Cheers
    Ulfire

    =?Utf-8?B?dWxmaXJl?=, Apr 30, 2006
  17. May your God bless you Jane

    =?Utf-8?B?dWxmaXJl?=, Apr 30, 2006
  18. Charlie has a list of AVs that work on Windows x64:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/03/05/85483.aspx

    Norton Internet Security is incompatible with Windows x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 30, 2006
  19. See my blog for a list of currently working AV

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 30, 2006