    motherboard:msi k8n neo4 processor:amd athlon 64 3200 memory:1 ultra 512mb
    ddr400 module Graphics Card:bfg tech GeForce FX 5500 oc pci card with
    onboard 256 mb ddr

    =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=, Dec 29, 2006

  2. If you are using a SATA hard disk drive, are you installing the hard drive
    controller driver using the F6 key at the beginning of the file copying? I
    have to that with my MSI board.

    "20th Bomb Squadron" <20th Bomb > wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 29, 2006

  3. > i've been struggling with trying to get xp professional x64 edition on my 64

    =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=, Dec 29, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=

    Theo Guest

    If you really want some assistance, then please answer
    questions when asked as Colin did below.

    If you can't take the time to answer questions, then don't
    bother posting at all.

    Theo, Dec 29, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=

    HDFatBoy2003 Guest

    Theo - not easy to see but he did reply to Colin:

    "I only have 1 IDE as master and with no other hard drives installed. The
    board does have SATA connections which are disabled in bios. no other
    hardware is installed on board (modem, network card, sound card) This is a
    clean install booting from the disc "

    Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to help him - hopefully someone else
    can.

    HDFatBoy2003, Dec 29, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Make sure your BIOS shows your CD first and the HD second in priority. When
    the system does the first and only automatic restart (according to what you
    say) remove the CD before it restarts. Let us know what error message you
    get.

    "20th Bomb Squadron" <> wrote in

    John Barnes, Dec 29, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You have 1 IDE HD. When you begin to install, have you deleted the
    partition, created a new primary partition and have you done a full or quick
    format, where you are directing the installation? Your light blue screen is
    after you have had the first reboot, right? This screen is the first screen
    immediately after you begin what you call the continue (GUI) part of the
    install. You have gone thru the POST process on the reboot. How
    comfortable are you with using the Recovery Console, to see what you have on
    the drive after the first stage of the install? You could start with a map
    command at the prompt and see what is there. It would also be informative if
    you are offered more than one system to do your command prompts from. After
    the copies, I think you should be offered two, the Windows on the CD and one
    on the HD.

    "20th Bomb Squadron" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    John Barnes, Dec 29, 2006
  8. The disk activity could be a memory dump from the installer - you could try
    and have a look from Recovery Console if there are any files in the Root
    Directory of that disk with strange names.

    On some Motherboards and BIOS'es the Installer is particular about the order
    of how it finds things, it sounds as though it is looking for something and
    gives up? John mentioned the Boot-Order, but your BIOS probably has a
    separate IDE item somewhere - it may be important to have the HD listed as
    the 'first' IDE drive - and like John said the CD as the 'first' bootable
    drive under the Boot options.

    This issue is strange, I assume your HD is an ordinary internal drive
    connected by way of an ordinary IDE flat-cable, partitioned by the Installer
    and formated as NTFS?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 30, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    After going thru the install as far as possible, with a freshly created and
    formatted drive, boot into recovery console, the R at the first option page
    and see how many systems it gives you a choice to log into and what the
    drive letters are. logon on to one and at the prompt type map Note
    what you get back. Then see if you can do a dir command for the hard
    drive you installed on. you can do a dir /? to get the format and see if
    you have a Windows folder and an ntldr and ntdetect.com and boot.ini files.
    If so, this indicates that Windows copied correctly, and when it is booting
    into GUI, one main difference is the video card and driver. The fact that
    the hard drive continues for so long, I am guessing that most of the install
    processes are going on until one of the screens that requires input, at
    which point it stops. If that is the situation, can you swap in another
    video card and see if something is wrong with yours?

    John Barnes, Dec 30, 2006
  10. well, its finally working!! yeehaa. now if i can only find all these
    special drivers i can actually use it.. i replaced the video adapter with a
    super cheapo pci card i had from years ago and it completed the install but
    black screened when it restarted again. i then reinstalled my bfg 5500 video
    adapter back in and it works fine. go figure.. strange..

    =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=, Jan 2, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?MjB0aCBCb21iIFNxdWFkcm9u?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    20th Bomb Squadron:
    That problem brings back memories of the original XP 32-bit disks. I
    still have an 8mb PCI video card in the drawer that I had to use on some
    computers to install XP. I never found the cause but after XPsp1 was
    released the problem didn't occur anymore. I haven't had the problem with
    x64 or Vista yet. I must be something between the motherboard and video
    card, but that's just a guess since it didn't always happen.
    http://www.planetamd64.com/ is a good source for drivers that may not be
    listed on the manufacturers sites. You have to register but it's free and
    they don't give out your data.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Vista x64 Enterprise