Installing XP Pro x64 in a dual boot/vm with XP Pro x32?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Pat, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    My workstation (HP xw9300 with dual Opteron 280 cpus) is currently set
    up in a dual boot between Windows XP Pro (x32) and Linux (where each OS
    is on its own hard drive). For various reasons I've decided to drop
    Linux and would like to replace it with Windows XP Pro x64. Ideally, I
    would like to make XP Pro x64 my primary OS, but have the ability to
    access my older XP Pro x32 installation, when needed, via a virtual
    machine like VMware or VirtualPC. That's what I've been doing from
    Linux, and it's work pretty well for that occasional need.

    My question is, what's the best way to get from my current setup to
    where I'd like to be?

    Also, my workstation has fairly standard hardware (Seagate SATA hard
    drives, DVD R/RW, Nvidia Quadro FX1400 video card) - will the Windows
    x64 install disk have all the required drivers it needs, or do I need to
    get these in place first?

    Thanks for any help with this. I appreciate it. Looking forward to
    being back on Windows full time!

    Pat
    Pat, Mar 30, 2008

  2. You can certainly set up XP Pro x64 in a dual boot configuration with XP Pro
    x86, but you cannot access the XP x86 volume using VPC. VPC cannot run
    another volume on your hard drives as a virtual machine. You can, of
    course, install XP x86 in a virtual machine in XP Pro x64 using VPC.

    You need to install the x64 drivers after XP Pro x64 is installed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 30, 2008

  3. Pat

    philo Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > My workstation (HP xw9300 with dual Opteron 280 cpus) is currently set
    > up in a dual boot between Windows XP Pro (x32) and Linux (where each OS
    > is on its own hard drive). For various reasons I've decided to drop
    > Linux and would like to replace it with Windows XP Pro x64. Ideally, I
    > would like to make XP Pro x64 my primary OS, but have the ability to
    > access my older XP Pro x32 installation, when needed, via a virtual
    > machine like VMware or VirtualPC. That's what I've been doing from
    > Linux, and it's work pretty well for that occasional need.
    >
    > My question is, what's the best way to get from my current setup to
    > where I'd like to be?
    >
    > Also, my workstation has fairly standard hardware (Seagate SATA hard
    > drives, DVD R/RW, Nvidia Quadro FX1400 video card) - will the Windows
    > x64 install disk have all the required drivers it needs, or do I need to
    > get these in place first?
    >
    > Thanks for any help with this. I appreciate it. Looking forward to
    > being back on Windows full time!
    >
    > Pat

    First off make sure you have the driver's cd that came with the motherboard.
    You should put the SATA drivers on a floppy as you may need them when you
    install XP-64bit

    What I would do is delete your Linux partitions when you install...
    then your machine will dual boot XP_32bit and XP_64 bit.

    If you end up being able to get XP_64bit drivers for everything
    and you can get XP_64 100% up and running...at that point you can set it as
    deault.

    You can still keep XP_32 to fall back on if you ever have problems

    but if you cannot get drivers for all your hardware on the 64 bit side,
    you cannot expect them to work running XP_32 in a virtual machine...
    so there would be no point to install a virtual machine at all unless
    perhaps
    you also wanted a Linux installation
    philo, Mar 30, 2008
  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > You can certainly set up XP Pro x64 in a dual boot configuration with XP
    > Pro x86, but you cannot access the XP x86 volume using VPC. VPC cannot
    > run another volume on your hard drives as a virtual machine. You can,
    > of course, install XP x86 in a virtual machine in XP Pro x64 using VPC.

    Interesting. VMware server does allow this (i.e. run an exisiting XP
    installation as a guest VM) - at least it does under a Linux host.
    Assuming it can with a XP x64 host, than that's probably what I'll use
    rather than VPC.

    > You need to install the x64 drivers after XP Pro x64 is installed.

    So will x64 install with a default set of drivers that provides basic
    system functionality (so video, keyboard, mouse, and internet operate
    well enough allow downloading and updating drivers)? I assume so, but
    just wanted to confirm that.

    Thanks for the response.

    Pat, Mar 30, 2008
  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >> My workstation (HP xw9300 with dual Opteron 280 cpus) is currently set
    >> up in a dual boot between Windows XP Pro (x32) and Linux (where each OS
    >> is on its own hard drive). For various reasons I've decided to drop
    >> Linux and would like to replace it with Windows XP Pro x64. Ideally, I
    >> would like to make XP Pro x64 my primary OS, but have the ability to
    >> access my older XP Pro x32 installation, when needed, via a virtual
    >> machine like VMware or VirtualPC. That's what I've been doing from
    >> Linux, and it's work pretty well for that occasional need.
    >>
    >> My question is, what's the best way to get from my current setup to
    >> where I'd like to be?
    >>
    >> Also, my workstation has fairly standard hardware (Seagate SATA hard
    >> drives, DVD R/RW, Nvidia Quadro FX1400 video card) - will the Windows
    >> x64 install disk have all the required drivers it needs, or do I need to
    >> get these in place first?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help with this. I appreciate it. Looking forward to
    >> being back on Windows full time!
    >>
    >> Pat

    > First off make sure you have the driver's cd that came with the motherboard.
    > You should put the SATA drivers on a floppy as you may need them when you
    > install XP-64bit

    I don't have a drivers cd (or not one that specifically says that). The
    system came with an Operating System cd (windows xp pro), HP Restore
    Plus!, HP LightScribe Driver cd, and Documentation and Diagnositcs cd.
    However, all the needed x64 drivers are available on HP's website (since
    Windows XP Pro x64 was an OS option for this model).

    > What I would do is delete your Linux partitions when you install...
    > then your machine will dual boot XP_32bit and XP_64 bit.
    >
    > If you end up being able to get XP_64bit drivers for everything
    > and you can get XP_64 100% up and running...at that point you can set it as
    > deault.
    >
    > You can still keep XP_32 to fall back on if you ever have problems
    >
    > but if you cannot get drivers for all your hardware on the 64 bit side,
    > you cannot expect them to work running XP_32 in a virtual machine...
    > so there would be no point to install a virtual machine at all unless
    > perhaps
    > you also wanted a Linux installation

    OK. That makes sense. As I mentioned above, all the needed drivers
    should be available, since x64 was offered as an option for this computer.

    If I download all the needed drivers onto a CD or floppy, will the x64
    installer ask me for that during the installation? Also, since I will
    be installing this on a second HD, will it automatically assign that as
    "D:" - since the first one (with XP x32 is C:)? I'm guessing so, but
    just wanted to double check.

    Thanks for the help. -Pat
    Pat, Mar 30, 2008
  6. Pat

    philo Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    > > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > >> My workstation (HP xw9300 with dual Opteron 280 cpus) is currently set
    > >> up in a dual boot between Windows XP Pro (x32) and Linux (where each OS
    > >> is on its own hard drive). For various reasons I've decided to drop
    > >> Linux and would like to replace it with Windows XP Pro x64. Ideally, I
    > >> would like to make XP Pro x64 my primary OS, but have the ability to
    > >> access my older XP Pro x32 installation, when needed, via a virtual
    > >> machine like VMware or VirtualPC. That's what I've been doing from
    > >> Linux, and it's work pretty well for that occasional need.
    > >>
    > >> My question is, what's the best way to get from my current setup to
    > >> where I'd like to be?
    > >>
    > >> Also, my workstation has fairly standard hardware (Seagate SATA hard
    > >> drives, DVD R/RW, Nvidia Quadro FX1400 video card) - will the Windows
    > >> x64 install disk have all the required drivers it needs, or do I need

    > >> get these in place first?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help with this. I appreciate it. Looking forward to
    > >> being back on Windows full time!
    > >>
    > >> Pat

    > > First off make sure you have the driver's cd that came with the

    motherboard.
    > > You should put the SATA drivers on a floppy as you may need them when

    you
    > > install XP-64bit

    > I don't have a drivers cd (or not one that specifically says that). The
    > system came with an Operating System cd (windows xp pro), HP Restore
    > Plus!, HP LightScribe Driver cd, and Documentation and Diagnositcs cd.
    > However, all the needed x64 drivers are available on HP's website (since
    > Windows XP Pro x64 was an OS option for this model).
    >

    > > What I would do is delete your Linux partitions when you install...
    > > then your machine will dual boot XP_32bit and XP_64 bit.
    > >
    > > If you end up being able to get XP_64bit drivers for everything
    > > and you can get XP_64 100% up and running...at that point you can set it

    as
    > > deault.
    > >
    > > You can still keep XP_32 to fall back on if you ever have problems
    > >
    > > but if you cannot get drivers for all your hardware on the 64 bit side,
    > > you cannot expect them to work running XP_32 in a virtual machine...
    > > so there would be no point to install a virtual machine at all unless
    > > perhaps
    > > you also wanted a Linux installation
    > >

    > OK. That makes sense. As I mentioned above, all the needed drivers
    > should be available, since x64 was offered as an option for this computer.
    >
    > If I download all the needed drivers onto a CD or floppy, will the x64
    > installer ask me for that during the installation? Also, since I will
    > be installing this on a second HD, will it automatically assign that as
    > "D:" - since the first one (with XP x32 is C:)? I'm guessing so, but
    > just wanted to double check.
    >
    > Thanks for the help. -Pat

    First thing I'd do is go the the website of your motherboard's mfg and
    download any drivers
    they have for that board for the 64bit version of XP.

    As far as the installation goes, the only thing crucial is the SATA
    drivers...as the installer will not see the HD unless they are loaded.

    I do not know if your XP cd will have the proper drivers or not...
    so it would not be a bad idea to have the SATA drivers on a floppy. The
    installer will give you an option early on
    to hit F6 to load any add'l drivers. Would be the time to do so.

    Now, if you don't do that you can still try the installation anyway...
    but if the installer does not see a HD...then it's essential that the
    drivers be loaded first.

    Now, when the installed begins, it will ask you where you want to install
    XP.
    at that point you need to specify your second drive (or partition) it will
    not just automatically install there.
    This would be where you'd delete your Linux parritions then recreate as one
    NTFS partition.

    dual boot between XP_32 and XP_64 should automatically be setup with
    XP_64bit being the default.

    Note: since you had Linux on the machine...if you used LILO or GRUB...it
    might not get removed.
    If it does not, you will need to boot to the repair console and issue thr
    command: fixmbr

    Once XP_64 bit gets installed, you may need to load add'l drivers that
    should habe been avail
    from the mobo mfg's website.

    I've setup a number of XP_64bit machines and find it a great OS.

    The only possible problem would be getting drivers for all your devices such
    as printers, scanners and wireless cards.

    I'm sure everything on the mobo itself will all be fine
    philo, Mar 30, 2008
  7. Pat

    Pat Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >> philo wrote:
    >>> "Pat" <> wrote in message

    >>> First off make sure you have the driver's cd that came with the

    > motherboard.
    >>> You should put the SATA drivers on a floppy as you may need them when

    > you
    >>> install XP-64bit

    >> I don't have a drivers cd (or not one that specifically says that). The
    >> system came with an Operating System cd (windows xp pro), HP Restore
    >> Plus!, HP LightScribe Driver cd, and Documentation and Diagnositcs cd.
    >> However, all the needed x64 drivers are available on HP's website (since
    >> Windows XP Pro x64 was an OS option for this model).
    >>
    >>> What I would do is delete your Linux partitions when you install...
    >>> then your machine will dual boot XP_32bit and XP_64 bit.
    >>>
    >>> If you end up being able to get XP_64bit drivers for everything
    >>> and you can get XP_64 100% up and running...at that point you can set it

    > as
    >>> deault.
    >>>
    >>> You can still keep XP_32 to fall back on if you ever have problems
    >>>
    >>> but if you cannot get drivers for all your hardware on the 64 bit side,
    >>> you cannot expect them to work running XP_32 in a virtual machine...
    >>> so there would be no point to install a virtual machine at all unless
    >>> perhaps
    >>> you also wanted a Linux installation
    >>>

    >> OK. That makes sense. As I mentioned above, all the needed drivers
    >> should be available, since x64 was offered as an option for this computer.
    >>
    >> If I download all the needed drivers onto a CD or floppy, will the x64
    >> installer ask me for that during the installation? Also, since I will
    >> be installing this on a second HD, will it automatically assign that as
    >> "D:" - since the first one (with XP x32 is C:)? I'm guessing so, but
    >> just wanted to double check.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help. -Pat

    > First thing I'd do is go the the website of your motherboard's mfg and
    > download any drivers
    > they have for that board for the 64bit version of XP.

    How can I tell who the motherboard mfg is? I had assumed it was HP,
    since this is a high end workstation made by them, but perhaps I'm
    wrong. Is this printed somewhere on the motherboard?

    > As far as the installation goes, the only thing crucial is the SATA
    > drivers...as the installer will not see the HD unless they are loaded.

    They have those on HP's website that I can download. So I should be ok
    there.

    > I do not know if your XP cd will have the proper drivers or not...
    > so it would not be a bad idea to have the SATA drivers on a floppy. The
    > installer will give you an option early on
    > to hit F6 to load any add'l drivers. Would be the time to do so.
    >
    > Now, if you don't do that you can still try the installation anyway...
    > but if the installer does not see a HD...then it's essential that the
    > drivers be loaded first.

    OK - thanks.

    > Now, when the installed begins, it will ask you where you want to install
    > XP.
    > at that point you need to specify your second drive (or partition) it will
    > not just automatically install there.
    > This would be where you'd delete your Linux parritions then recreate as one
    > NTFS partition.
    >
    > dual boot between XP_32 and XP_64 should automatically be setup with
    > XP_64bit being the default.
    >
    > Note: since you had Linux on the machine...if you used LILO or GRUB...it
    > might not get removed.
    > If it does not, you will need to boot to the repair console and issue thr
    > command: fixmbr

    It currently uses GRUB for the bootloader. I'll probably get rid of it
    first before doing this.

    > Once XP_64 bit gets installed, you may need to load add'l drivers that
    > should habe been avail
    > from the mobo mfg's website.
    >
    > I've setup a number of XP_64bit machines and find it a great OS.
    >
    > The only possible problem would be getting drivers for all your devices such
    > as printers, scanners and wireless cards.
    >
    > I'm sure everything on the mobo itself will all be fine

    Thanks again for the help. I have a pretty good idea now on how to
    proceed with this. As far as drivers go, the only one I may have a
    problem with is the printer (Canon i850). I checked Canon's website,
    and at this point the only 64 bit OS they support is Vista. Maybe that
    will change, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably just replace
    the printer if I can't get it to work.

    That brings up one final question. Can XP64 be (reliably) upgraded to
    Vista 64, if I decide I want to do that later? Just curious.

    Thanks -Pat
    Pat, Mar 31, 2008
  8. Then check for XP Pro x64 drivers on the HP website and if they are there
    make your own drivers and utilities cd.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 31, 2008