    Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed

    TIA

    , Jun 29, 2005

  2. Guest

    On wrote:

    |>I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
    |>HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
    |>partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
    |>which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
    |>
    |>I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
    |>It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
    |>have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
    |>then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
    |>or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
    |>same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
    |>
    |>What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
    |>the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
    |>HD after a fresh installation of XP.
    |>
    |>Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed

    Before anything run SFC first to replace any missing or corrupt files.

    Start in Safemode, open a DOS window and type in:
    SFC /SCANNOW

    If you type in SFC /? you will get a listing of options.

    --
    http://www.dougrusty.com/FunnyPhotos/priceless1.jpg

    , Jun 29, 2005

  3. Ericp Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:10:18 GMT, wrote:

    >I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
    >HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
    >partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
    >which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
    >
    >I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
    >It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
    >have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
    >then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
    >or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
    >same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
    >
    >What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
    >the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
    >HD after a fresh installation of XP.
    >
    >Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
    >
    >TIA

    The problem with this type of warez is that you rely entirely on the
    skill of the producer. Sometimes you are lucky and their skill is of
    high quality and sometimes not. That particular work was very good but
    may have flaws in its construction.

    You could get the utility that replaces the product key with a genuine
    one and try from there. Many people with bent copies have done that.

    Ericp, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
    >HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
    >partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
    >which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
    >
    >I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
    >It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
    >have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
    >then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
    >or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
    >same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
    >
    >What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
    >the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
    >HD after a fresh installation of XP.
    >
    >Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
    >
    >TIA

    It would have to be XP Pro that you installed. You could not do it
    with XP Home.

    A "Repair Install" as per the instructions at
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm should do it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --