Installing XP Error

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Windows XP Professional Setup

    Your computer's startup program cannot gain access to the disk
    containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install
    Windows XP on this hard disk.

    This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition.
    For example, disks attached to a SCSI adapter that wasn't installed by
    your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller, are
    typically not visible to the start up program unless special software
    is used.

    Any ideas anyone? I was trying to install Windows to a third hard
    disk. It is a 500gb one connected via USB formatted in NTFS.

    Would I need to update the bios or something? Or if anyone knows what
    software they are on about that I would be able to use I'd appreciate
    your advice. It would seem a bit silly if you couldn't run windows off
    an external drive like this.

    Cheers for your help

    John

    System info:
    Mobo: Abit NF7-S
    OS: XP Pro

    John, Jul 12, 2007

  2. John

    babaloo Guest

    You have to be able to set up your motherboard to boot from a USB device.
    This is not always possible.
    It will also be quite slow compared to a hard drive connected to a
    motherboard based controller.

    babaloo, Jul 13, 2007

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:01:16 -0700, "babaloo" <>
    wrote:

    >You have to be able to set up your motherboard to boot from a USB device.
    >This is not always possible.

    I will have to try and find out if there is an update for the bios
    that allows this for my abit nf7-s mobo.

    If there isn't I'll have to see if there are any other tips or tricks
    to doing this.

    >It will also be quite slow compared to a hard drive connected to a
    >motherboard based controller.

    I believe the USB port I have it connected to is part of the
    motherboard not on the added card.

    I don't understand why an external drive would be much of a difference
    speed wise to an internal one? I believe my current internal one is a
    SATA-150 drive, but the USB one I have just bought I believe is faster
    than this? You can also get the eSata drives and drives with all three
    connection the 480 Mbps of USB2, 800 for the latest Firewire and I
    believe it is 300 for eSATA?

    John

    John, Jul 13, 2007