Installing XP and Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trax, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Trax

    Trax Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:34:13 -0600, "John Seeliger" <> wrote:

    |>This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$-berlin.de. I think I
    |>may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup,

    Wow! what a time warp that message took me to a group I haven't seen in four
    years. Lot's of saved messages, none that'd help you tho..

    Thanks for the memories both good and bad - the bad all revolved around that
    damn graphic fdisk that comes bundled with Redhat.

    |>When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I go from
    |>here?

    Pretty much follow philo's advice. Especially that part about NTFS not being
    able to be read by Linux.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life

    Trax, Jan 4, 2004

  2. This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$-berlin.de. I think I
    may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am posting in these.
    I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and Linux both on the same 40
    GB HD. I was told to create an NTFS partition with XP and install it there
    and create an extended partition on the rest and set up other partitions for
    XP's swap file, 2 about the size of a CD for burning CD's, one with a shared
    space for both Linux and Windows and a few others.

    I initially set up a 6144 MB partition and put Windows on it. Then I tried
    using fdisk and created an extended partition and then created a logical
    partition for XP's swap file and was going to go on and create the rest, but
    I don't know how to use fdisk and didn't know how to determine the file
    format using it. So I delete the swap partition and later when I restarted
    the Linux installation CD and chose manual format, it gave me an error about
    not being able to read the format of the extended partition.

    Subsequently, I put the XP install CD in and created a raw partition using
    the rest of the space and wanted to format it using fat32 since some of the
    logical partitions would be for Linux, but it would only let me do NTFS. I
    should have just turned the computer off, but I went ahead and reformatted
    it. And then, even though I didn't want to it started to install XP again
    or at least it did something so that even though I didn't reenter the
    product key, etc. when I restarted the computer, it saw two copies of XP or
    at least the boot record and it was trying to boot from one of them, and
    couldn't because I had stopped it from installing Windows the second time.

    I then was able to select the other copy, if I was fast enough during the
    boot-up sequence, and it worked fine, but since I didn't like always having
    to catch it, I just went ahead and reinstalled it, so now it has two copies,
    the default one works, the other doesn't.

    When I get into XP, it sees ~6 GB C: drive only, which for now is good (I
    thought it would be seeing a 34 GB drive).

    When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I go from
    here?

    --
    John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
    <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>

    John Seeliger, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Trax

    philo Guest

    "John Seeliger" <> wrote in message
    > This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$-berlin.de. I think

    > may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am posting in

    these.
    > I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and Linux both on the same

    40

    Since it sounds like you messed it up...run fdisk and delete
    everything...then
    start over.

    there are many ways to do it...here is one :

    First create an active primary partition for your XP installation.
    Make it whatever size you thing is reasonable...and do not make a seperate
    swap partition.

    next create an extended partition

    now you can install XP on your primary partition
    (NTFS is generally preferable...but if you want to access the drive from
    Linux
    Fat32 may be better)

    after you have XP installed and working
    you can install Linux...
    the first thing you do is delete the extended partition to create the space
    to form your linux partitions. You will need at least one partition for "/ "
    and one for "swap" an add'l partition for /home is not a bad idea
    incase you need to reinstall of upgrade your Linux at a later date...
    you can put your data and config. files there
    You

    philo, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Trax

    Harrison Guest

    Way overcomplicated.

    1. Run Windows setup and format the desired amount for the Windows
    installation, leaving the rest as unpartitioned space.

    2. Use Red Hat 9 or Mandrake for you chosen Linux installation.
    Either will allow you to set up the Linux partitions as desired during
    the installation.

    Harrison, Jan 5, 2004
  5. In news:,
    Harrison <Harrison> gushed forth the following drivel. :-
    >> Way overcomplicated.
    >>
    >> 1. Run Windows setup and format the desired amount for the Windows
    >> installation, leaving the rest as unpartitioned space.
    >>
    >> 2. Use Red Hat 9 or Mandrake for you chosen Linux installation.
    >> Either will allow you to set up the Linux partitions as desired
    >> during the installation.
    >>

    >> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:34:13 -0600, "John Seeliger"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$-berlin.de.
    >>> I think I may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am
    >>> posting in these. I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP
    >>> and Linux both on the same 40 GB HD. I was told to create an NTFS
    >>> partition with XP and install it there and create an extended
    >>> partition on the rest and set up other partitions for XP's swap
    >>> file, 2 about the size of a CD for burning CD's, one with a shared
    >>> space for both Linux and Windows and a few others.
    >>>
    >>> I initially set up a 6144 MB partition and put Windows on it. Then
    >>> I tried using fdisk and created an extended partition and then
    >>> created a logical partition for XP's swap file and was going to go
    >>> on and create the rest, but I don't know how to use fdisk and
    >>> didn't know how to determine the file format using it. So I delete
    >>> the swap partition and later when I restarted the Linux
    >>> installation CD and chose manual format, it gave me an error about
    >>> not being able to read the format of the extended partition.
    >>>
    >>> Subsequently, I put the XP install CD in and created a raw
    >>> partition using the rest of the space and wanted to format it using
    >>> fat32 since some of the logical partitions would be for Linux, but
    >>> it would only let me do NTFS. I should have just turned the
    >>> computer off, but I went ahead and reformatted it. And then, even
    >>> though I didn't want to it started to install XP again or at least
    >>> it did something so that even though I didn't reenter the product
    >>> key, etc. when I restarted the computer, it saw two copies of XP or
    >>> at least the boot record and it was trying to boot from one of
    >>> them, and couldn't because I had stopped it from installing Windows
    >>> the second time.
    >>>
    >>> I then was able to select the other copy, if I was fast enough
    >>> during the boot-up sequence, and it worked fine, but since I didn't
    >>> like always having to catch it, I just went ahead and reinstalled
    >>> it, so now it has two copies, the default one works, the other
    >>> doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> When I get into XP, it sees ~6 GB C: drive only, which for now is
    >>> good (I thought it would be seeing a 34 GB drive).
    >>>
    >>> When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I
    >>> go from here?

    Why bother with Linux? You've done the decent thing and paid for XP (Unless
    it's warez.) so why bother with substandard crap that the fucks have a
    problem *giving* away?
    --
    My main website is at
    http://tinyurl.com/t7tg

    The CHEAPEST utility services in the UK :-
    http://www.telecomplus.org.uk/activate
    See for yourself.

    Biblical Hebrew - www.rtsvirtual.org
    Study Biblical Hebrew online Fully accredited or audit

    ---

    Dr Halonfire$, Jan 5, 2004
  6. Trax

    paul s Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:43:59 +0000, Dr Halonfire$ wrote:

    > Why bother with Linux? You've done the decent thing and paid for XP (Unless
    > it's warez.) so why bother with substandard crap that the fucks have a
    > problem *giving* away?

    And what about that other 'substandard crap' Outlook Express that
    Micro$oft give away. ?

    --
    Paul S

    paul s, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Trax

    paul s Guest

    In article <btcpbg$5l4mt$-berlin.de>,
    says...

    Why bother with Linux? You've done the decent thing and paid for XP
    (Unless
    it's warez.) so why bother with substandard crap that the fucks have a
    problem *giving* away?

    Sounds like that 'substandard crap' Outlook Express, that Micro$oft give
    away

    --
    Paul S

    paul s, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Trax

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:34:13 -0600, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:
    <snip>
    > I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and Linux both on the same 40
    > GB HD.

    <snip>
    *What* Linux?
    1). Install Windows. Download updates.
    2). Read the instructions for installing your Linux distro.
    3). Install Linux XXXX. Download updates.
    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Trax

    tfog Guest

    "John Seeliger" <> wrote in

    > This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$-berlin.de. I
    > think I may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am
    > posting in these. I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and
    > Linux both on the same 40 GB HD. I was told to create an NTFS
    > partition with XP and install it there and create an extended
    > partition on the rest and set up other partitions for XP's swap file,
    > 2 about the size of a CD for burning CD's, one with a shared space for
    > both Linux and Windows and a few others.
    >
    > I initially set up a 6144 MB partition and put Windows on it. Then I
    > tried using fdisk and created an extended partition and then created a
    > logical partition for XP's swap file and was going to go on and create
    > the rest, but I don't know how to use fdisk and didn't know how to
    > determine the file format using it. So I delete the swap partition
    > and later when I restarted the Linux installation CD and chose manual
    > format, it gave me an error about not being able to read the format of
    > the extended partition.
    >
    > Subsequently, I put the XP install CD in and created a raw partition
    > using the rest of the space and wanted to format it using fat32 since
    > some of the logical partitions would be for Linux, but it would only
    > let me do NTFS. I should have just turned the computer off, but I
    > went ahead and reformatted it. And then, even though I didn't want to
    > it started to install XP again or at least it did something so that
    > even though I didn't reenter the product key, etc. when I restarted
    > the computer, it saw two copies of XP or at least the boot record and
    > it was trying to boot from one of them, and couldn't because I had
    > stopped it from installing Windows the second time.
    >
    > I then was able to select the other copy, if I was fast enough during
    > the boot-up sequence, and it worked fine, but since I didn't like
    > always having to catch it, I just went ahead and reinstalled it, so
    > now it has two copies, the default one works, the other doesn't.
    >
    > When I get into XP, it sees ~6 GB C: drive only, which for now is good
    > (I thought it would be seeing a 34 GB drive).
    >
    > When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I go
    > from here?
    >
    > --
    > John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
    > <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>

    1. Using fdisk, create a single partition of ~20G and make it primary.
    2. Install Win XP
    3. Select a Linux distribution (Fedora, Mandrake, BLAG, etc) and install.
    4. Linux will ask about partitioning. Choose "keep existing partition
    and use available free space" and install per the on screen instructions.
    5. Linux typically installs boot (~100M), root (the biggie!) and swap
    partitions. The swap partition is usually 2X the amount of RAM.
    6. Linux installs a bootloader and usually places it in the master boot
    record (MBR). In the process Linux asks which OS you want include in the
    bootloader and which you want to be the default. Be sure to include
    WinXP.
    7. When you restart your computer you can now take your pick of WinXP or
    Linux.
    8. To uninstall Linux, merely delete the partitions and reset the MBR by
    using a Windows boot disk and the fdisk /mbr command at the A:\ prompt.
    GoodLuck!

    tfog, Jan 6, 2004