    anyway around this other than plugging in a PS/2 keyboard for the
    installation?

    TIA

    elziko, May 11, 2005

  2. elziko

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Go to your local computer store and get the usb to PS2 adapter, which
    generally run about $5.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 11, 2005

  3. "elziko" <> wrote in message
    > I have a USB keyboard which is recognised by and used by the the BIOS
    > quite happily.
    >
    > However, when I come to install XP 64 and I am asked to enter my name
    > and company information during setup (after setting my location and
    > language/keyboard settings) the keyboard does not respond.
    >
    > I'm sure I didn't have this problem when installing XP 32 and in XP 32
    > Device Manager the keyboard shows up as 'HID Keyboard Device'. Is
    > there anyway around this other than plugging in a PS/2 keyboard for
    > the installation?
    >
    > TIA

    Hi,

    Didn't have any problem with an USB Keyboard here.
    Maybe is your keyboard connected to a hub ? Or is it straight to the USB
    port of the mobo ?
    Did you check the usb config in your bios ?
    What kind of mobo are you using ?

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy [MS MVP XP]
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy [MVP], May 11, 2005
  4. elziko

    elziko Guest

    > Didn't have any problem with an USB Keyboard here.
    > Maybe is your keyboard connected to a hub ?

    Yeah, its connected through a hub. I'm using an ASUS K8N-E Deleuxe MoBo.
    I'll try using one of the ports on the MoBo itself to see if that helps.

    Thanks!

    elziko, May 11, 2005
  5. elziko

    iansmythe Guest

    elziko wrote:
    >>Didn't have any problem with an USB Keyboard here.
    >>Maybe is your keyboard connected to a hub ?

    > Yeah, its connected through a hub. I'm using an ASUS K8N-E Deleuxe MoBo.
    > I'll try using one of the ports on the MoBo itself to see if that helps.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > A USB keyboard does not operate when installing any Microsoft product. I

    have an old PS2 keyboard I use. Once the Windows product is installed
    THEN the keyboard will work. Been this way for years!

    iansmythe, May 11, 2005
  6. elziko

    Kevin Lowe Guest

    Look in your BIOS for something called "USB Legacy Emulation" or something
    similar. Turn that on, and try it again.

    Kevin Lowe, May 11, 2005
  7. elziko

    _Mark_ Guest

    Already been thru all of that with ASUS and Microsoft. The reason you are
    having this problem is that ASUS doesnt have any bluetooth support built
    into their BIOS yet. Mine wouldnt work until it got to the password prompt,
    then it would work fine. Finally got tired of it and returned it. Went
    with a Microsoft Wireless Optical setup.

    _Mark_, May 11, 2005
  8. elziko

    _Mark_ Guest

    Also to follow up. I had to keep a PS2 keyboard attached to be able to
    access BIOS..

    _Mark_, May 11, 2005
  9. Just for clarity - a bluetooth keyboard is a very different issue than a USB
    one. A straight USB keyboard _should_ work, if you have legacy USB support
    turned on in the BIOS. If it doesn't, it's a BIOS issue, and check for an
    updated one. Bluetooth, OTOH, is not going to work until you get far enough
    for the drivers to be enabled in the OS. Period.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 11, 2005
  10. elziko

    _Mark_ Guest

    Exactly. I had a long conversation with ASUS concerning the K8N motherboard
    and was told that bluetooth support was not in the BIOS as yet, and did not
    have any idea as to when...

    _Mark_, May 11, 2005
  11. And your point? The user asked about USB, not bluetooth. See the subject. And
    I don't know of any Mobos that support bluetooth in bios, though I suppose
    it's possible.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2005
  12. elziko

    ocbwilg Guest

    > And your point? The user asked about USB, not bluetooth. See the subject.
    > And I don't know of any Mobos that support bluetooth in bios, though I
    > suppose it's possible.

    Correct. It wouldn't be a BIOS option so much as it would be an add-on
    chipset feature (like SATA RAID, LAN, audio, etc).

    ocbwilg, May 12, 2005