Installing WinXP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
    I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
    dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)

    This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
    instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).

    I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
    mistake, too.....

    So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
    Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:

    sapi.dl_
    filelist.xm_
    rstrui.dl_
    srframe.mm_
    srdiag.ex_
    airplane.bm_

    ......and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
    setup.

    The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
    to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.

    I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.
    steve, Dec 20, 2003

  2. steve

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:05:32 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
    >I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
    >dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
    >
    >This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
    >instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
    >
    >I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
    >mistake, too.....
    >
    >So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
    >Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
    >
    >sapi.dl_
    >filelist.xm_
    >rstrui.dl_
    >srframe.mm_
    >srdiag.ex_
    >airplane.bm_
    >
    >.....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
    >setup.
    >
    >The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
    >to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
    >
    >I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

    May be your CD Rom drive is on its last legs, do you smoke, ? have you cleaned
    the Laser Lens, you can use one of those cleaning disks as a last result, only
    helps to remove dust , not Nicotine..
    Dumdedo, Dec 20, 2003

  3. steve

    PseUDO Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
    > I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
    > dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
    >
    > This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
    > instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
    >
    > I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
    > mistake, too.....
    >
    > So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
    > Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
    >
    > sapi.dl_
    > filelist.xm_
    > rstrui.dl_
    > srframe.mm_
    > srdiag.ex_
    > airplane.bm_
    >
    > .....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
    > setup.
    >
    > The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
    > to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
    >
    > I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

    You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Dec 20, 2003
  4. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
    >I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
    >dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
    >
    >This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
    >instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
    >
    >I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
    >mistake, too.....
    >
    >So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
    >Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
    >
    >sapi.dl_
    >filelist.xm_
    >rstrui.dl_
    >srframe.mm_
    >srdiag.ex_
    >airplane.bm_
    >
    >.....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
    >setup.
    >
    >The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
    >to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
    >
    >I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

    I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
    last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
    user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Dec 20, 2003
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

    > You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
    >
    > PseUDO

    No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".

    :)
    steve, Dec 20, 2003
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:37:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    > May be your CD Rom drive is on its last legs, do you smoke, ? have you cleaned
    > the Laser Lens, you can use one of those cleaning disks as a last result, only
    > helps to remove dust , not Nicotine..

    No smoking at my house......and the drive is one of my newest.

    It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem. Maybe i should try a straight
    CD-ROM drive.

    I've installed several Linux distros on this drive and never had any
    trouble.
    steve, Dec 20, 2003
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
    > last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
    > user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
    longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.

    The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
    doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads and
    loads of 'bad clusters'........

    Looks like a format / re-install when this is all over.

    ......and people claim installing Windows is easy. HAR!!!

    Gentoo or Debian was easier than this - despite the detail work in the
    former and the nvidia and other gaps in the latter.. At least they
    work.

    The system is an Abit N7S mobo with an AMD 2200+ CPU and 512MB of 266MHz
    DDR RAM.

    HD is a 60GB Maxtor - single FAT32 partition
    Plus a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive.
    steve, Dec 20, 2003
  8. steve

    DUser Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:30:06 +1300, steve wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, PseUDO wrote:
    >
    >> You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
    >>
    >> PseUDO

    > No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".
    >
    > :)

    Do it from scratch with NTFS, it all works better that way.
    DUser, Dec 20, 2003
  9. steve

    DUser Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:38:31 +1300, steve wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
    >> last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
    >> user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
    > longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.
    >
    > The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
    > doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads and
    > loads of 'bad clusters'........
    >
    > Looks like a format / re-install when this is all over.
    >
    > .....and people claim installing Windows is easy. HAR!!!
    >
    > Gentoo or Debian was easier than this - despite the detail work in the
    > former and the nvidia and other gaps in the latter.. At least they
    > work.
    >
    > The system is an Abit N7S mobo with an AMD 2200+ CPU and 512MB of 266MHz
    > DDR RAM.
    >
    > HD is a 60GB Maxtor - single FAT32 partition
    > Plus a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive.

    Be fair
    Your linux installs included a fresh format on the preferred file system.
    The CD is a moulded piece of polycarbonate, not a dye layer so iy is
    unlikely to have deteriorated with age. I have installed XP many times
    from the most basic CDRs with no problems whatsoever.
    DUser, Dec 20, 2003
  10. steve

    PseUDO Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, PseUDO wrote:
    >
    > > You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
    > >
    > > PseUDO

    > No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".
    >
    > :)

    Why not just do a format then install XP on a clean hard drive, 99% of
    problems are due to installing windows on top of windows!

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Dec 20, 2003
  11. steve

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, "PseUDO" <> wrote:

    >"steve" <> wrote in message
    >> OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
    >> I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
    >> dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
    >>
    >> This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
    >> instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
    >>
    >> I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
    >> mistake, too.....
    >>
    >> So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
    >> Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
    >>
    >> sapi.dl_
    >> filelist.xm_
    >> rstrui.dl_
    >> srframe.mm_
    >> srdiag.ex_
    >> airplane.bm_
    >>
    >> .....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
    >> setup.
    >>
    >> The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
    >> to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
    >>
    >> I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.
    >>

    >You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
    >
    >PseUDO

    You do not need to at all.
    Dumdedo, Dec 20, 2003
  12. steve

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:31:20 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:37:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
    >
    >> May be your CD Rom drive is on its last legs, do you smoke, ? have you cleaned
    >> the Laser Lens, you can use one of those cleaning disks as a last result, only
    >> helps to remove dust , not Nicotine..

    >No smoking at my house......and the drive is one of my newest.
    >
    >It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem. Maybe i should try a straight
    >CD-ROM drive.
    >
    >I've installed several Linux distros on this drive and never had any
    >trouble.

    I did not think they made only CD-RW Drives, are you referring to a CD-RW
    CD..?

    Because CD Rom drives do have problems reading CD-RW disks, they have a very
    low reflectivity and have a very short shelf life for data retention..
    Dumdedo, Dec 20, 2003
  13. steve

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:43:50 +1300, DUser <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:30:06 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:42:16 +1300, PseUDO wrote:
    >>
    >>> You are doing a Format first, or as part of the setup,aren't you ??
    >>>
    >>> PseUDO

    >> No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".
    >>
    >> :)

    >Do it from scratch with NTFS, it all works better that way.

    NTFS has noting at all to do with it, and Win 98 can't read NTFS Files..
    Dumdedo, Dec 20, 2003
  14. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
    >> last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
    >> user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    >I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
    >longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.
    >
    >The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
    >doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads and
    >loads of 'bad clusters'........
    >
    >Looks like a format / re-install when this is all over.
    >
    >.....and people claim installing Windows is easy. HAR!!!

    Yeah, Steve, but you haven't been able to completely install Debian,
    have you? <grin>

    Seriously, I've done a lot of upgrades from 98 and 98SE to NT, 2000
    and XP, and while I'm not saying that it has always been problem-free,
    I believe your user experience is unusual.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.
    Enkidu, Dec 20, 2003
  15. On 20 Dec 2003, Enkidu wrote

    > Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    > that I could cope with twice.

    I know the feeling.

    I haven't fully recovered from the LAST one yet!

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - MONEY TALKS ... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 20, 2003
  16. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may
    >> not last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
    >> user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
    > longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.
    >
    > The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
    > doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads
    > and loads of 'bad clusters'........

    Sounds to me like it might be a problem with the HDD rather than XP.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 20, 2003
  17. steve

    DUser Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:54:26 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:43:50 +1300, DUser <> wrote:

    >>> No...it was an upgrade from Win98SE and was "(Recommended)".
    >>>
    >>> :)

    >>Do it from scratch with NTFS, it all works better that way.

    > NTFS has noting at all to do with it, and Win 98 can't read NTFS Files..

    I can't be bothered telling you why, you are too stupid.
    DUser, Dec 20, 2003
  18. steve

    DUser Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:52:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:31:20 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:37:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
    >>
    >>> May be your CD Rom drive is on its last legs, do you smoke, ? have you cleaned
    >>> the Laser Lens, you can use one of those cleaning disks as a last result, only
    >>> helps to remove dust , not Nicotine..

    >>No smoking at my house......and the drive is one of my newest.
    >>
    >>It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem. Maybe i should try a straight
    >>CD-ROM drive.
    >>
    >>I've installed several Linux distros on this drive and never had any
    >>trouble.

    > I did not think they made only CD-RW Drives, are you referring to a CD-RW
    > CD..?
    >
    > Because CD Rom drives do have problems reading CD-RW disks, they have a very
    > low reflectivity and have a very short shelf life for data retention..

    Its a Microsoft XP CD
    Dummy
    DUser, Dec 20, 2003
  19. steve

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:16:53 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may
    >>> not last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
    >>> user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
    >> longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.
    >>
    >> The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
    >> doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads
    >> and loads of 'bad clusters'........

    > Sounds to me like it might be a problem with the HDD rather than XP.

    Reletively new hard drive....which ran Win98SE perfectly until I tried to
    install XP.
    steve, Dec 20, 2003
  20. steve

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:02:28 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:38:31 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:55:13 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> I read somewhere an article that said that data written to CDs may not
    >>> last as long as two years. That was for CDs written ion normal
    >>> user-type drives. I'd expect a commercial CD to maybe last longer.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >>I thought of that......I agree....you'd expect a commercial CD to last
    >>longer. My Win98 install CD from 1998 still works just fine.
    >>
    >>The install didn't terminate earlier......it carried on
    >>doing....something....and has now re-booted and is discovering loads and
    >>loads of 'bad clusters'........
    >>
    >>Looks like a format / re-install when this is all over.
    >>
    >>.....and people claim installing Windows is easy. HAR!!!
    >>

    > Yeah, Steve, but you haven't been able to completely install Debian,
    > have you? <grin>

    I have.....in Debian terms. I just didn't think that no X, sound or
    network was "finished".

    But Debian was installed.

    > Seriously, I've done a lot of upgrades from 98 and 98SE to NT, 2000 and
    > XP, and while I'm not saying that it has always been problem-free, I
    > believe your user experience is unusual.

    It's an nForce2 motherboard.....they seem to cause every OS install
    problems of some sort.
    steve, Dec 20, 2003