Installing Windoze using two-year-old hardware...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bling-Bling, May 28, 2005.

  1. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    This article on Newsforge is priceless! :eek:)

    http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216&from=rss

    Bling Bling

    --
    Microsoft repeatedly suggests that its own internal schedules reflect the
    "truth" of the preemptive announcements its executives were making. Internal
    Bling-Bling, May 28, 2005

  2. Bling-Bling

    Rob J Guest

    In article <pan.2005.05.28.02.21.08.541019@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Sat, 28
    May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling <> says...
    > This article on Newsforge is priceless! :eek:)
    >
    > http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216&from=rss

    The article will clearly appeal to a fanatical anti-Windows segment of
    the computing community. The problems outlined are totally non-typical of
    a normal Windows installation and indicate some level of hardware
    incompatibility that is rarely seen.

    The brands of hardware (LiquidVideo, Broadcom) mentioned are so obscure
    it's a miracle they could be made to work under Linux, let alone Windows.
    Hello?
    Rob J, May 28, 2005

  3. Bling-Bling

    Nova Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <pan.2005.05.28.02.21.08.541019@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Sat, 28
    > May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling <> says...
    >
    >>This article on Newsforge is priceless! :eek:)
    >>
    >>http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216&from=rss

    > The article will clearly appeal to a fanatical anti-Windows segment of
    > the computing community. The problems outlined are totally non-typical of
    > a normal Windows installation and indicate some level of hardware
    > incompatibility that is rarely seen.
    >
    > The brands of hardware (LiquidVideo, Broadcom) mentioned are so obscure
    > it's a miracle they could be made to work under Linux, let alone Windows.
    > Hello?

    I wouldn't call broadcom obscure, it's been used on a few mainstream
    ASUS boards. I have a board that has a broadcom lan on it, but all I
    had to do under windows xp was stick a cd in and click install broadcom
    driver, it wasn't rocket science that's for sure.
    Nova, May 28, 2005
  4. Bling-Bling

    Porky Guest

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

    > This article on Newsforge is priceless! :eek:)
    >
    > http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216&from=rss
    >

    > Bling Bling

    It was priceless you moaning about microsoft delivering a 64 bit os ..

    Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

    Out
    Porky, May 29, 2005
  5. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:25:32 +1200, Porky wrote:

    > It was priceless you moaning about microsoft delivering a 64 bit os ..

    LOL - Micro$oft still doesn't have a 64bit clean OS for the x86_64
    platform.

    > Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

    Funny that, but I'm using a 64bit mobo with an nforce 3 chipset, and a
    gforce fx agp card.

    Been using that with the 64bit release of Mandrake 10.0 .

    I got it when I bought the MOBO, and it installed perfectly.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, May 29, 2005
  6. Bling-Bling

    Porky Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:37:51 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:25:32 +1200, Porky wrote:
    >
    >> It was priceless you moaning about microsoft delivering a 64 bit os ..

    > LOL - Micro$oft still doesn't have a 64bit clean OS for the x86_64
    > platform.

    LoL Lets look ...

    n Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:55:46 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:

    >>Why on earth would they want to stay with the inferior OS?

    > Too right they would want the superior Windows64

    Apart from the fact that Micro$oft STILL hasn't got a true 64bit-clean OS.

    Bling Bling

    So your statement about Micro$oft STILL hasn't got a true 64bit-clean was
    you or did you forget your meds that morning Bling blong?

    >> Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

    > Funny that, but I'm using a 64bit mobo with an nforce 3 chipset, and a
    > gforce fx agp card.
    >
    > Been using that with the 64bit release of Mandrake 10.0 .

    Why do you use the linux for dummies distro ?

    > I got it when I bought the MOBO, and it installed perfectly.
    >

    > Bling Bling

    why am i not surprised you have no clue about how well the nvidia
    nforce hardware is not supported in linux.

    Tell us all how many windows XP & windows NT boxes you have had
    problems installing device drivers for ... and what they were ?

    Bling Blong .. linux advocacy at its best ...
    Porky, May 29, 2005
  7. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:56:51 +1200, Porky wrote:

    > Tell us all how many windows XP & windows NT boxes you have had problems
    > installing device drivers for ... and what they were ?

    Other than once at work, I have not installed any version of WinNT, and so
    cannot comment about the inferior OS variously called Micro$oft
    WindowsNT/2000/XP.

    I have no intention of ever installing any Micro$oft software on any of my
    computers.

    Why use costly Micro$oft software when there is superior Open Source
    software that is freely available?

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, May 29, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 29, 2005
  9. Rob J wrote:
    > The brands of hardware (LiquidVideo, Broadcom) mentioned are so obscure
    > it's a miracle they could be made to work under Linux, let alone Windows.

    Liquid video I'll give you, but Broadcom are fairly popular.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 29, 2005
  10. Bling-Bling wrote:
    > Why use costly Micro$oft software when there is superior Open Source
    > software that is freely available?

    Because it may be better for the job at hand?

    It doesn't have to black and white all the time, the world is full of
    grey areas.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 29, 2005
  11. Hi there,

    Porky wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:
    >

    >>This article on Newsforge is priceless! :eek:)
    >>
    >>http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216&from=rss
    >>

    >>Bling Bling

    > It was priceless you moaning about microsoft delivering a 64 bit os ..
    >
    > Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

    If linux doesn't work on nForce3/4 why do nVidia provide drivers
    for the chipsets?

    There are a few more issues with those chipsets than with others,
    like the k8t800 I use, but its getting better with each release.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 1, 2005
  12. Hi there,

    Porky wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:37:51 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:
    >>I got it when I bought the MOBO, and it installed perfectly.
    >>

    >>Bling Bling

    > why am i not surprised you have no clue about how well the nvidia
    > nforce hardware is not supported in linux.

    I think you are overinflating the nForce issue. I check on
    nVidias download site and forum quite often, and since the
    latest nForce update (in March) the queries to the forum on
    nForce issues have slowed considerably.

    The nForce drivers have had stability issues for sure, but
    its obvious that nVidia have been working to eradicate them.
    That seems to contradict what you say about "how well the

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 1, 2005
  13. Bling-Bling

    Porky Guest

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:11:52 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >> why am i not surprised you have no clue about how well the nvidia
    >> nforce hardware is not supported in linux.

    > I think you are overinflating the nForce issue. I check on
    > nVidias download site and forum quite often, and since the
    > latest nForce update (in March) the queries to the forum on
    > nForce issues have slowed considerably.

    Im not inflating any thing the last 14 mnths speak for themsleves on the
    abit . gigabyte ,soltek mother-boards ive bought for myself .

    > The nForce drivers have had stability issues for sure, but
    > its obvious that nVidia have been working to eradicate them.
    > That seems to contradict what you say about "how well the
    > nvidia nforce hardware is not supported in linux"...

    If a linux box that crashes every other minute due to crappy linux
    drivers is your idea of success you live in the same delusional world
    lennier does.

    Paul.
    Porky, Jun 1, 2005
  14. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:07:05 +1200, Porky wrote:

    > If a linux box that crashes every other minute due to crappy linux drivers
    > is your idea of success you live in the same delusional world lennier
    > does.

    Your experience of Nvidia chipsets under Linux is clearly very different
    from my own. I would suggest that your problem may be elseware. Perhaps
    there is a fault on your MOBO.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 3, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    Porky <> wrote:

    >Try installing linux on a board that uses a nforce 3 or 4 chipset

    I think I've done two such installs. The first one with SuSE 9.1 didn't
    pick up the on-board Ethernet, so we stuck in a card to save time. The
    second one with SuSE 9.2 picked up the on-board Ethernet.

    Which was just as well because the client had stuck in a CD-ROM-only
    reader to cut costs, so it wouldn't read my SuSE installation DVD. So I
    had to copy that onto the hard drive of another machine, make up a
    cut-down boot CD, and then have it pick up the rest of the install via
    NFS.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2005
  16. Bling-Bling

    notme Guest

    Re: However - Re-installing XP, my experiences

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:41:37 +1200, "Henry Falkner"
    <> wrote:

    Maybe you could fix your computer clock. You are more than a day ahead
    of yourself and your posting keeps appearing at the bottom of the
    usenet list ...
    notme, Jun 7, 2005
  17. Bling-Bling

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:41:37 +1200, Henry Falkner wrote:

    > This took a day, even though Sandra was spending Sunday with friends, and
    > her daughter was with her step-father, so I had no disruptions of any
    > kind.
    >
    > Yet Windows is what 9/10ths of the world uses, which has included me for
    > nearly 10 years now.

    The last time I installed a distro of Linux and set it up as I like it, it
    took about 1½ hours all up - and that included installing ALL software I
    wanted installed, including some software that I myself compiled at the
    time.

    Why on *earth* do you stay with Micro$oft?

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 8, 2005
  18. However - Re-installing XP, my experiences

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <pan.2005.05.28.02.21.08.541019@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Sat, 28
    > May 2005 14:21:10 +1200, Bling-Bling <> says...
    >> This article on Newsforge is priceless! :eek:)
    >>
    >> http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216&from=rss

    > The article will clearly appeal to a fanatical anti-Windows segment of
    > the computing community. The problems outlined are totally non-typical of
    > a normal Windows installation and indicate some level of hardware
    > incompatibility that is rarely seen.
    >
    > The brands of hardware (LiquidVideo, Broadcom) mentioned are so obscure
    > it's a miracle they could be made to work under Linux, let alone Windows.
    > Hello?

    Granted, the article was written by a Linux freak, so I did not read it all.

    Granted, DOS versions, and Windows versions that followed, were never the
    most user-friendly systems around.

    I still have two Acorn Riscos machines surviving from the last century. They
    NEVER need defragging. In 20 years I only had three harddisk problems on
    them that needed fixing with third-party software, each time accomplished in
    under two minutes. But support for Riscos is sketchy now, and software
    development has never been big in volume and variety.

    But I use a Toshiba A10 laptop as my main machine now. After two years of
    use, the Fastclean utility in Nortons System Works began showing up files
    that no longer existed, hence they could not be deleted. I have seen that on
    previous versions of Windows. It looks to me like corrupted File Allocation
    Table entries. So I decided on a complete re-install.

    By this time I managed to get working an external USB 1.1 box with a 20 Gig
    IDE harddisk in it, which I had lying around for two years. Backing up
    before re-installation was time consuming, but it worked.

    Then I faced two problems: The 20 Gig filled up immediately. And I had
    managed to get 'Search' as the first option on both harddisks, so I had to
    right-click each time to 'Open' them.

    I replaced the USB 1.1 box with a Belkin USB2 box, and stuck an 80Gig drive
    in it, because it was only 98 dollars at Dick Smith. But I could not figure
    out how to get rid of 'Search' as the first option when accessing any of my
    drives, so I decided to re-install again. So much for the pre-amble.

    So what is involved in a re-install?

    I backed up everything in 'My Documents', and a couple of amateur radio
    programs from 'Program Files', because that way the data and settings they
    have collected are retained.

    Then I went through the Toshiba installation disks - 3 CDs.
    Then I installed Service Pack 2.
    Then I installed Nortons System Works.
    Then I installed the Dynalink USB-ADSL modem, with an XP driver downloaded
    previously. The modem was bought when Win98 was in use, and the driver on
    the disk that came with it two years ago is not liked by WinXP.
    This allowed me to re-imitialise and update Nortons System Works. Since it
    is a 2003 version, the update needs three downloads and three restarts. The
    last update stops the XP firewall bleating about there being no virus
    protection.

    Then I re-installed the bookmarks in IE and the adress book in Outlook
    Express.
    Then I did a Windows update.
    Then I re-installed MS Office, WITHOUT 'Outlook' which Iconz blocks
    according to an error message I got once.
    Then I re-installed PhotoShop Elements 2, the Canon scanner and the Canon
    iP4000 printer driver.
    Then I configured mail and news.

    Nearly there. Quicktime comes off a magazine disk, as does Spybot and
    Ad-aware. Quicktime accepts the registration key I bought, but Ad-aware has
    a new build out, and will not update the old one. Finding the download for
    the new version needs hunting through two pages of blurb, but in the end I
    got it.

    At one of the restarts MS Office tells me that there may be updates. I get
    the one for "Word', which addresses a security concern.

    Windows Media is still version 9. I like version 10, but I still have to get
    around to getting that again.

    This took a day, even though Sandra was spending Sunday with friends, and
    her daughter was with her step-father, so I had no disruptions of any kind.

    Yet Windows is what 9/10ths of the world uses, which has included me for
    nearly 10 years now.

    Henry
    Henry Falkner, Jun 8, 2005
  19. Bling-Bling

    steven Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:29:23 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:41:37 +1200, Henry Falkner wrote:
    >
    >> This took a day, even though Sandra was spending Sunday with friends, and
    >> her daughter was with her step-father, so I had no disruptions of any
    >> kind.
    >>
    >> Yet Windows is what 9/10ths of the world uses, which has included me for
    >> nearly 10 years now.

    > The last time I installed a distro of Linux and set it up as I like it, it
    > took about 1½ hours all up - and that included installing ALL software I
    > wanted installed, including some software that I myself compiled at the
    > time.
    >
    > Why on *earth* do you stay with Micro$oft?

    well personally i just love to piss off people like yourselff

    --
    Steven H (.net geek)
    steven, Jun 8, 2005
  20. Bling-Bling

    Alameda Guest

    "Bling-Bling" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:41:37 +1200, Henry Falkner wrote:
    >
    > Why on *earth* do you stay with Micro$oft?

    Games, and familiarity with software and gui.
    Alameda, Jun 10, 2005