    so i can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000 clean?? I
    want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition instead. Is this
    possible? what are my options? TIA

    RG, Aug 16, 2003

  2. RG

    Philo Guest

    > ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or disk drive on my laptop. I
    > currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten old, buggy, and
    > needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the files from my windows xp
    cd
    > over to a second partition on my notebook pc. the first partition on the
    > laptop has windows 2000 on it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition has
    > the windows xp setup files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is, how
    > can i get the computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup
    files),
    > so i can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000 clean?? I
    > want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition instead. Is this
    > possible? what are my options? TIA

    do you have an option in the bios to boot from network...
    that might be a possibility

    Philo, Aug 16, 2003

  3. > ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or disk drive on my laptop. I
    > currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten old, buggy, and
    > needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the files from my windows xp
    > cd over to a second partition on my notebook pc. the first partition on
    > the laptop has windows 2000 on it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition
    > has the windows xp setup files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is,
    > how can i get the computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup
    > files), so i can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000
    > clean?? I want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition
    > instead. Is this
    > possible? what are my options? TIA

    The problem is that the D: drive doesn't have an operating system and
    doesn't have an OS boot loader, so you can't boot from it. You could run
    the XP install program from the D: drive, but I think (someone catch me on
    this if I'm wrong) that would simply overwrite/upgrade the existing 2000
    installation, stil leaving you with a garbaged installation--further
    confused and complicated by being upgraded. A fresh, from-scratch install
    of an OS has to be done from some boot medium. Which leads me to ask, how
    did the 2000 get installed on the laptop in the first place? This one's a
    toughie.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 16, 2003
  4. RG

    Kraftee Guest

    >> ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or disk drive on my
    >> laptop. I currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten
    >> old, buggy, and needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the
    >> files from my windows xp cd over to a second partition on my
    >> notebook pc. the first partition on the laptop has windows 2000 on
    >> it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition has the windows xp setup
    >> files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is, how can i get the
    >> computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup files), so i
    >> can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000 clean??

    >> want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition instead.

    Is
    >> this
    >> possible? what are my options? TIA
    >

    > The problem is that the D: drive doesn't have an operating system

    and
    > doesn't have an OS boot loader, so you can't boot from it. You could
    > run the XP install program from the D: drive, but I think (someone
    > catch me on this if I'm wrong) that would simply overwrite/upgrade
    > the existing 2000 installation, stil leaving you with a garbaged
    > installation--further confused and complicated by being upgraded. A
    > fresh, from-scratch install of an OS has to be done from some boot
    > medium. Which leads me to ask, how did the 2000 get installed on the
    > laptop in the first place? This one's a toughie.

    Let's go back a step with all this, just how have they manged to copy
    the installation files over without the use of a CD drive???

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....

    Kraftee, Aug 17, 2003