Installing Windows XP media edition after x64 edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by No Spam, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    Hi,

    There are so many things that I cannot do with x64 that i now need to
    set up a dual boot arrangement.

    I have a spare HD as D

    I know that operating systems should preferably be loaded oldest first
    but am reluctant to remove x64 from C. and go through the hassle of
    reinstalling it and all the programs.

    Is there another way?

    Could I:
    copy my existing x64 system to an external drive,
    then format drive C
    then install Windows XP Media Center Edition on drive C,
    then copy x64 from the external drive onto drive D.

    Would the system then dual boot OK or is there another tweek required
    for that?
    --
    No Spam

    No Spam, Jan 6, 2007

  2. No Spam

    John Barnes Guest

    Bad idea as all your registry settings in x64 are set to C. Simplest way
    for you is to make the spare HD as your primary boot drive in boot priority,
    install XP, then change the boot priority back. You can edit the boot.ini
    to add your XP system manually several ways, but in system
    properties/advanced/startup you can edit it and change the boot defaults the
    easiest. You can also use Recovery Console bootcfg /add to add the
    entry.

    John Barnes, Jan 6, 2007

  3. See my blog on how to fix the boot after you install the 32-bit after.

    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 7, 2007
  4. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    No Spam, Jan 7, 2007
  5. No Spam

    John Barnes Guest

    Your choice, but if you switch boot priority you will end up with two fully
    bootable drives. Something happens to the X64 drive you switch priority and
    you can boot into xp86. Don't change boot priority for the install and your
    boot records are all on the x64 drive and if it has a problem, your system
    is dead until you go thru the repair process.

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2007
  6. No Spam

    Theo Guest

    One minor correction - the boot records are written to the
    1st bootable drive. When I set my system up with 2 SATA
    drives, I installed XP Pro (32-bit) on 1st partition of 1st
    drive as Drive C:. When I installed Win x64 to the 2nd
    partition (extended) on disk 1 is defaulted to E:, Optical
    drive was D:. All my boot information from Win x64 is on my
    C: drive, there are no system files in the root of my E:
    drive, Win x64. That's the way my drives have been for
    almost 2 years now and are still that way.

    Theo, Jan 7, 2007
  7. No Spam

    John Barnes Guest

    We are talking about two physical hard drives in this case so it is totally
    different. In your case it would not make any difference since both systems
    are on the same hard drive and if the drive goes it goes. You could save
    one step in the installation by making the second partition active for the
    second installation and the boot records would then be written to the second
    partition, so you wouldn't have to mess with the ntldr and ntdetect.com
    files, but it still doesn't provide the same utility that having boot
    records on separate drives gives.

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2007
  8. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 07:17:25 -0800, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    >Your choice, but if you switch boot priority you will end up with two fully
    >bootable drives. Something happens to the X64 drive you switch priority and
    >you can boot into xp86. Don't change boot priority for the install and your
    >boot records are all on the x64 drive and if it has a problem, your system
    >is dead until you go thru the repair process.

    Hi,

    Not too sure if I understand the above.

    I loaded XP Media Center onto drive D.

    Appears to be OK. When the PC boots up there is a choice to switch to
    either.

    Spent ages trying to connect to the internet until I remembered about
    ethernet drivers. No sound working as yet as Media Center doesn't seen
    to recognise the audio connections on the ASUS Realtek I/O back panel.

    I want to have a single Documents & Settings shared between x64 &
    Media Mentre on a single partition.

    Do I just drag and drop the folders to do this successfully?

    No Spam, Jan 7, 2007