Installing Windows XP 32-bit over Windows XP 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by piccolo, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. piccolo

    piccolo Guest

    Somehow, I wound buying a Dell Precision workstation with Windows XP 64-bit
    installed on it only to discover that a LOT of my software is not 64-bit
    compatible and never will be. HP, Nikon, even Adobe don't appear to have
    functioning fixes for Windows XP 64-bit. So I am faced with having to buy an
    OEM version of Windows XP 32-bit and installing that if I want to use my
    existing software library.

    Never having installed an OS before, the prospect of installing Windows XP
    32 scares me and I thought I would ask here for advice.
    1. am I going to need special cables, etc. or will the thing load from the
    CD?
    2. I presume I can get the necessary drivers either off the Cd that came
    with the computer or from Dell as the OEM?
    3. could I have a problem that Windows XP 32 is an older system than
    Windows XP 64 (and the installer decides it won't overwrite)?
    4. Assuming that I am not going to want to migrate the XP 32 license from
    this machine to another, is there any reason to buy a retail rather than the
    OEM version I can get from Dell?
    5. If the world changes and more companies offer 64-bit drivers and
    software and I want to go back to a 64-bit machine, will I be able to reload
    the original Windows XP 64 OS?

    What else should I be asking and haven't?
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo
    piccolo, Jul 8, 2008

  2. 1.) Will load from CD
    2.) Generally, yes, you'll get drivers from Dell.
    3.) It will overwrite because you're going to delete the existing partition
    and start over. Don't attempt to install without formatting the current OS
    partition or simply deleting and recreating it. You'll have a mess if you
    do.
    4.) None, except that you'll be stuck on this machine with it. Given that
    you're paying twice as is, I'd go with a second OEM.
    5.) Yes, since you have your original OEM copy. BUT, you can't ever
    "upgrade" or "migrate" - it's always a clean install. I'd strongly suggest
    you partition your workstation to keep all important data files off on a
    separate partition from the OS so that you can easily re-install as
    required.

    6.) Anything else? Yes - if you're buying a Dell Precision, you're very
    likely the sort of user who needs and uses a very powerful machine. That
    usually also means a lot of RAM. Your absolute maximum with 32-bit is 4 GB,
    and you'll not see much more than about 3GB of that. If you need >4GB of
    RAM, you really don't have a choice - you need to run 64-bit Windows.

    7.) Most of that software will run on 64-bit, though one or another will
    possibly have a piece of it that doesn't work, such as a print driver. For
    software that doesn't work, consider running a 32-bit VM inside your
    existing 64-bit XP. For many things, this is a very viable workaround. (no,
    it won't solve all hardware specific driver issues, and if your software
    needs USB you'll need to use VMWare instead of VirtualPC or Virtual Server,
    but for a definite majority of software issues, it works quite well.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2008

  3. piccolo

    piccolo Guest

    Charlie,

    As you can tell from the other thread, it seems to me that it might almost
    be easier to creat a VPM than to completely re-install everything.

    If I do that, it would leave two niggling problems in the operation of the
    64-bit machine that you might be able to fix:
    1. Adobe Flash won't run on a 64-bit IE. There is supposed to be a 32-bit IE
    that runs on a 64-bit machine but I can't find it. Any ideas?
    2. WMP 11 won't run in mini-mode on the 64-bit OS. Is there a fix? Or is
    this a question I should take over to the Media Player newsgroup?

    Again thanks,
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo

    piccolo, Jul 9, 2008
  4. piccolo

    piccolo Guest

    I found both versions and have changed my shortcuts to point at the 32-bit
    version.

    As to WMP 11, the taskbar does not show the mini-mode toolbar at all. I
    think I asked this question before and someone said that WMP is not really
    supported in 64-bit. Thanks anyway.
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo

    piccolo, Jul 9, 2008
  5. IE is 32bit by default. Both are there. If you migrated, you may have to
    change some shortcuts.

    WMP - in XP 64, no taskbar player. There is one in Vista 64, but it never
    got back ported to XP x64.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2008
  6. "piccolo" <> wrote in message
    > 4. Assuming that I am not going to want to migrate the XP 32 license from
    > this machine to another, is there any reason to buy a retail rather than
    > the
    > OEM version I can get from Dell?
    > Regards,
    >
    > Piccolo

    4. Yes, there is a reason not to buy an OEM pack. The purchaser of
    software under an OEM (System Builder) License is not granted the right to
    use the software. He is granted only the right to install the software on a
    system for sale to a customer. Please read the OEM (System Builder) License
    at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx
    It is much shorter than the EULA so a peek.

    The OEM (System Builder) License is not an end user license.

    Resellers of OEM packs display a disclaimer reminding end users about this.
    NewEgg puts the following disclaimer on the Specifications tab of the
    product information/order page:

    "Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of
    the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for
    pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System
    Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support
    for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once
    it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by
    Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings."

    Look at this example on NewEgg and you will see a slightly abbreviated
    version right on the catalog page.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2060350368 1179212225&name=Business
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 9, 2008
  7. piccolo

    piccolo Guest

    Charlie,

    Just to let you know that I got the virtual machine up and running with Win
    XP 32-bit OS without a hitch. So thanks again for your help and patience.
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo

    piccolo, Jul 10, 2008
  8. Excellent.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2008
  9. you make this sould easy, but I am amazingly ignorant for basic computer
    knowledge- learning as I go but don't have much experience. Can you please
    break it down for me- I can't run the adobe flash, I have just installed
    windows 7 and obviously don't know how to change back to 32 bit to make Adobe
    download. Please help- way easy steps, please. Also, while I have you, does
    anyone know what Button monitor is? I keep getting the message that it isnt
    working- thanks!!!

    andrea stupid, Dec 11, 2009