    it to a new hard drive other than the one XP is running on? I think
    the drive is dying and I have a new one installed and formatted but
    clean.
    The Florida Connection, May 23, 2007

  2. The Florida Connection

    XS11E Guest

    The Florida Connection <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know if I can upgrade my Windows XP to Vista and install
    > it to a new hard drive other than the one XP is running on? I think
    > the drive is dying and I have a new one installed and formatted but
    > clean.

    If you want to upgrade you'll have to move your XP installation to the
    new harddrive, make sure everything is working alright, then remove the
    old harddrive and upgrade the XP install on the new HD.

    Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd save/backup everything you want to
    keep on the old harddrive, maybe do an image of it or save everything
    to a partition on the new harddrive (NOT the first partition, that'll
    be your C: partition when Vista is installed), and then remove the old
    drive. Install the new harddrive, install Vista clean and then move
    the files you wanted to save from the backup to the new harddrive.
    XS11E, May 23, 2007

  3. I agree with XS11E that the simplest thing to do is to use the Windows Easy
    Transfer wizard on the Vista dvd to save your files and settings to
    intermediate storage. Then remove the XP drive and replace it with your
    good second drive and install Vista from scratch. Afterwards use the WET
    wizard to restore your files and settings and then reinstall those apps
    which are Vista compatible.

    If you simply install Vista on the second drive now you will not have a
    bootable computer after you remove the XP drive because the Vista boot files
    will be written there and not on the second drive even though the second
    drive is where you will have installed Vista. While there are fixes for
    this it is not a trivial task.

    Of course you can still remove the XP drive and reinstall XP on the good
    drive and then upgrade that to Vista if you are more comfortable doing that
    way but there is no compelling need for the extra steps.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 23, 2007
  4. The Florida Connection

    John Barnes Guest

    If you are posting to the correct group, you will have to do a clean install
    of Vista as XP64 is not upgradable to Vista64.

    John Barnes, May 25, 2007