Installing Windows on dual boot and how to check the MBR

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I have two hardrives on my PC: One seconday master (8G) for backup on
    Drive 1 (so Partition MAGIC 8 sees it) on IDE 1 and Drive 2 60G with two
    partititions for holding Win ME and XP, The 60G is n a PCI controller card
    (SCSI bios indicator). I also have a CD ROM and CD Burner. CD Burner on
    it's on own IDE2 channel. PQ Boot will show Drive 2.

    I installed a program that messed up my ME, so I had to reinstall it ME. I
    couldn't reinstall it on my Windows on drive 2 as previous. I changed the
    boot up to C (Drive 1) and I managed to install it on my 8g C drive. But,
    that's not what I want. I changed the boot sequence to SCSI, C, A. But, I
    could not boot, so I added added a few [missing] windows xp files and did
    the below. XP sees the 8G drive (I changed it before) as D drive. The C
    drive, I have checked is the 2nd drive (which is what I want).

    COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
    COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

    I now can get into my windows xp--yes! , but I cannot get into ME. I want
    to wipe out ME from the smaller drive, but I am not sure how to go about it.
    My XP cd got damaged a long time ago. So, I don't have one. I tried FDISK
    MBR but I think that may have messed things up.

    How should I go about accomplishing my task of installing ME on Disk 2 and
    still have the boot header display both ME and XP on boot? And how do I
    check where the MBR is? Using dos, it makes the smaller drive as C.

    Thanks
    Mark, Sep 8, 2003