    If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
    D:

    I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    Mainlander, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Mainlander wrote:
    > If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
    > D:
    > I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather picky
    about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Mainlander

    Julian Visch Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Mainlander wrote:
    >
    >> If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows
    >> on D:
    >> I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    > It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather picky
    > about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.

    Yes it is possible, what I did was install windows on "D" as master
    (i.e. it temporary became C), then switched it to slave(back to D) and
    installed Linux on "C" then modified lilo to make windows think it was
    still on C, i.e.

    other = /dev/hdb1
    map-drive=0x80
    to=0x81
    map-drive=0x81
    to=0x80
    label = windows
    table=/dev/hdb

    have fun

    Julian Visch, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Mainlander

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:44:52 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
    >D:
    >
    >I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    But Lunix users don't need Windows..?

    K & S, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Mainlander

    L33T Guest

    ahh the ever helpful posting by woger the witless.
    congrats.

    L33T, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Mainlander

    ac Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:44:52 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
    > >D:
    > >
    > >I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    > But Lunix users don't need Windows..?

    You're right, we can use the command line too...

    ac, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Mainlander

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Julian Visch <> wrote:

    > > Mainlander wrote:
    > >
    > >> If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows
    > >> on D:
    > >> I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    > > It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather picky
    > > about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.
    > >

    > Yes it is possible, what I did was install windows on "D" as master
    > (i.e. it temporary became C), then switched it to slave(back to D) and
    > installed Linux on "C" then modified lilo to make windows think it was
    > still on C, i.e.
    >
    > other = /dev/hdb1
    > map-drive=0x80
    > to=0x81
    > map-drive=0x81
    > to=0x80
    > label = windows
    > table=/dev/hdb
    >
    > have fun

    Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

    --
    ~IRO

    IRO, Feb 2, 2004
  8. IRO wrote:
    > Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

    which turkey?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 2, 2004
  9. Mainlander

    harry Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Julian Visch <> wrote:

    >>> It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather
    >>> picky about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.
    >>>

    >> Yes it is possible, what I did was install windows on "D" as master
    >> (i.e. it temporary became C), then switched it to slave(back to D)
    >> and installed Linux on "C" then modified lilo to make windows think
    >> it was still on C, i.e.
    >>
    >> other = /dev/hdb1
    >> map-drive=0x80
    >> to=0x81
    >> map-drive=0x81
    >> to=0x80
    >> label = windows
    >> table=/dev/hdb
    >>
    >> have fun

    > Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

    Whats amazing ?
    I'm amazed that you think that someones helpful post is justification for
    namecalling
    If he is a turkey, what does that make you ?
    You offer no help, you are off topic, you don't know what you are talking
    about, you are worse than Woger.
    A little bit of config file text editing ?
    You can do that with your OSX too.
    It uses pretty similar names
    You might even be able to dual boot
    LILO is the bootloader
    GRUB is probably easier for this setup.
    They both have GUI configurators, but mouse obsessiveness isn't compulsory.
    Your Mac has a bootloader too.

    harry, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Hi there,

    K & S wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:44:52 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    >>If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
    >>D:
    >>
    >>I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    [To original author, not Woger]
    That is definately possible. Many linux users have done just that, but
    I haven't tried yet so I can't offer too much advice. The info I've read
    seems to suggest that a separate physical disk for windows is the safer
    method of dual-booting...

    > But Lunix users don't need Windows..?

    [To Woger]
    Correct, we don't, but we might need something to laugh at (other than
    your silly posts) once in a while...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Mainlander

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Julian Visch <> wrote in news:401E1E8D.6000708
    @inet.net.nz:

    > Yes it is possible, what I did was install windows on "D" as master
    > (i.e. it temporary became C), then switched it to slave(back to D) and
    > installed Linux on "C" then modified lilo to make windows think it was
    > still on C, i.e.
    >
    > other = /dev/hdb1
    > map-drive=0x80
    > to=0x81
    > map-drive=0x81
    > to=0x80
    > label = windows
    > table=/dev/hdb
    >
    > have fun

    Just use the BIOS to select the drives boot order. When installing just
    physically disconnect the other drives so the Windows NT,2k, XP
    bootloaders don't see something and break it. Once it is all installed,
    you can reconnect all the drives. This way, Windows is always on C:
    My 2c
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Mainlander

    harry Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > K & S wrote:
    >> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:44:52 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install
    >>> Windows on D:
    >>>
    >>> I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

    > [To original author, not Woger]
    > That is definately possible. Many linux users have done just that, but
    > I haven't tried yet so I can't offer too much advice. The info I've
    > read seems to suggest that a separate physical disk for windows is
    > the safer method of dual-booting...

    I have a PC set up with XP on one disk and Linux on another.
    GRUB the Grand Unified Bootloader is the answer.
    Linux is on the boot drive and it has XP as the default in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Heres two Howtos
    One for Debian type distros (Knoppix Lindows Xandros...) where the config is
    in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.p...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=539&page=1

    and one for Redhat Mandrake etc
    http://librenix.com/?inode=467

    GRUB is easier than LILO, if you alter it, you don't have to run it to
    change the mbr, and if you f*ck it up you can just stick in a knoppix or
    tomsrtbt and edit the grub file, or make a GRUB floppy.
    You can have several different operating systems in different partitions if
    you want, same disk, different disks, just doesn't matter.

    harry, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Hi there,

    harry wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>K & S wrote:

    >>[To original author, not Woger]
    >>That is definately possible. Many linux users have done just that, but
    >>I haven't tried yet so I can't offer too much advice. The info I've
    >>read seems to suggest that a separate physical disk for windows is
    >>the safer method of dual-booting...
    >>

    > I have a PC set up with XP on one disk and Linux on another.
    > GRUB the Grand Unified Bootloader is the answer.
    > Linux is on the boot drive and it has XP as the default in
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > Heres two Howtos
    > One for Debian type distros (Knoppix Lindows Xandros...) where the config is
    > in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.p...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=539&page=1
    >
    > and one for Redhat Mandrake etc
    > http://librenix.com/?inode=467
    >
    > GRUB is easier than LILO, if you alter it, you don't have to run it to
    > change the mbr, and if you f*ck it up you can just stick in a knoppix or
    > tomsrtbt and edit the grub file, or make a GRUB floppy.
    > You can have several different operating systems in different partitions if
    > you want, same disk, different disks, just doesn't matter.

    I will get Win2k running on a separate hard disk one day. I'll use it
    for audio and MIDI work, because my hardware is not fully useable for
    audio under linux (or at least its too damn hard to configure alsa so
    it gives me anything other than 2 channel playback - MIDI and recording
    are naff!)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 3, 2004
  14. Mainlander

    IRO Guest

    In article <g8ATb.20287$>, "harry" <>
    wrote:

    > > Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

    > Whats amazing ?
    > I'm amazed that you think that someones helpful post is justification for
    > namecalling
    > If he is a turkey, what does that make you ?

    The turkey reference was to a recent troll posting hereabouts, off
    subject admittedly, and not referring to this apparently perfectly
    justified request.

    I was flabbergasted at the efforts required to perform something as
    simple as Installing the OS on a different volume. I've got Mac boot
    volumes on multiple partitions, separate internal and external drives,
    multi-session CDs and Zips, all by just clicking the Install button or
    dragging an existing System Folder onto a different volume. About the
    only thing I haven't tried is a USB flash drive but I guess that will
    have to wait until I get a bigger xD card to put in it.

    --
    ~IRO

    IRO, Feb 3, 2004
  15. Mainlander

    harry Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > In article <g8ATb.20287$>, "harry"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

    >> Whats amazing ?
    >> I'm amazed that you think that someones helpful post is
    >> justification for namecalling
    >> If he is a turkey, what does that make you ?

    > The turkey reference was to a recent troll posting hereabouts, off
    > subject admittedly, and not referring to this apparently perfectly
    > justified request.
    >
    > I was flabbergasted at the efforts required to perform something as
    > simple as Installing the OS on a different volume. I've got Mac boot
    > volumes on multiple partitions, separate internal and external drives,
    > multi-session CDs and Zips, all by just clicking the Install button or
    > dragging an existing System Folder onto a different volume. About the
    > only thing I haven't tried is a USB flash drive but I guess that will
    > have to wait until I get a bigger xD card to put in it.

    I can already boot Linux from a flash drive or a CD without dragging around
    any system folders. Your Macintosh operating system is unfortunately
    completely incapable of working on my hardware.
    There is plenty of information available on configuration of BootX and
    miBoot and yaBoot for network booting and different kernels, for alternative
    operating systems on Apple hardware. They require some variables to be
    entered in <shock horror> text!
    OTOH I can add and delete the various operating systems for the GRUB
    bootloader in a GUI Gnome panel.
    Editing the lilo bootloader file is not complex and if you would extract
    your head from your arse, you would be able to investigate beneficial ways
    of using the interoperability of Macintoshes Windows and Linux to enhance
    the experience of the schools that you claim to support.
    Perhaps posters here will be able to answer questions that you may have
    without provoking your sneers, who knows ?

    harry, Feb 3, 2004
  16. Mainlander

    IRO Guest

    In article <DBTTb.20534$>, "harry" <>
    wrote:

    > Editing the lilo bootloader file is not complex and if you would extract
    > your head from your arse, you would be able to investigate beneficial ways
    > of using the interoperability of Macintoshes Windows and Linux to enhance
    > the experience of the schools that you claim to support.

    Good grief! I have enough problems explaining the subtlties of using the
    Chooser to access the Servers and laserprinters or creating Aliases to
    provide shortcuts to desired files, folders etc. I'd have an armed
    revolt on my hands if I tried to stuff Linux down their throats.

    > Perhaps posters here will be able to answer questions that you may have
    > without provoking your sneers, who knows ?

    My apologies if the comment was interpreted as a sneer. We take a lot of
    flak about the limitations of Macs, usually from induhviduals who
    haven't touched once since the classroom LCII back in '95. When I saw
    the steps needed to get the much-vaunted Windows to do something as
    simple as create an alternative boot volume my gast was flabbered.

    Lips zipped....until next time ;^)

    --
    ~IRO

    IRO, Feb 4, 2004
  17. Mainlander

    harry Guest

    IRO wrote:

    > My apologies if the comment was interpreted as a sneer. We take a lot
    > of flak about the limitations of Macs, usually from induhviduals who
    > haven't touched once since the classroom LCII back in '95. When I saw
    > the steps needed to get the much-vaunted Windows to do something as
    > simple as create an alternative boot volume my gast was flabbered.
    >
    > Lips zipped....until next time ;^)

    Its just idle banter :)
    It wasn't Windows though, it was the Linux bootloader which would run before
    either operating system to allow a choice.
    If you want to do the same on a Mac, you have to use a bootloader.
    The BootX in OS X just has its snag keys, no alternative boot choices
    presented at all

    With a bootloader on my x86 box I can offer a menu of network boot, BSD,
    several Linuxes, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 98 if I want to, and
    adding a new one on another disk is as easy as plugging it in and giving it
    a name and filename.
    Theres a Linux distro called e-smith which is excellent for using with Macs,
    as a server.

    harry, Feb 4, 2004