    The problem is when the install gets to Installing & detecting devices; It
    hangs there.

    Any suggestions anyone?

    =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=, Mar 31, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?="
    <> say in
    news::

    > I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an
    > MSI K8N Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+
    > Processor. The problem is when the install gets to Installing &
    > detecting devices; It hangs there.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone?

    Hardware compatibility list...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

    Neil, Mar 31, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

    meanoldman Guest

    I don't know why there would be a problem. I've got the 939 version of that
    board at home and it installs xp just fine. Xp and 2003 have the same
    driver lists so I don't think it would be a HCL issue. Is this your first
    os installation on this system?

    meanoldman, Mar 31, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

    Briscobar Guest

    In news:,
    meanoldman <> rambled:
    > I don't know why there would be a problem. I've got the 939 version
    > of that board at home and it installs xp just fine. Xp and 2003 have
    > the same driver lists so I don't think it would be a HCL issue. Is
    > this your first os installation on this system?

    He's installing 2000, not 2003. So it very well could be the HCL...maybe
    it's the fact that the drive's SATA?

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    www.mcngp.com claims to have seen the Loch Ness monster on several
    occasions.

    Briscobar, Mar 31, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

    JaR Guest

    > did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?="
    > <> say in
    >
    >> I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an
    >> MSI K8N Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+
    >> Processor. The problem is when the install gets to Installing &
    >> detecting devices; It hangs there.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions anyone?
    >>

    > Hardware compatibility list...

    Do you have any other hardware installed?

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Mar 31, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in

    > So it very well could be the HCL.

    if there is an install issue I usually look up the hardware in teh HCL
    regardless of everything else unless there is some overriding reason not
    to.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a
    replacement.

    Neil, Mar 31, 2005
  7. I'm using the Socket 754 version. It is the first install. The mobo has all
    integrated devices except the video. I have an (AGP) ATI Radeon 9200 series
    installed. I replaced the video card with a pci card and same result. 2003
    server installs fine.

    =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=, Mar 31, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=" <>
    say in news::

    > 2003
    > server installs fine.

    porbably non-supported HW on Win2000 is the issue. My recommendation would
    be to run XP on it and run VPC to test stuff like Win2000. That would give
    you a supported platform to play in. My 2¢

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - No, Scotty, I said, "Beam me ABOARD," not "A BROAD."

    Neil, Mar 31, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gWW91bmc=?=

    peter Guest

    Try to go to BIOS and disable all the other stuff on board-sound, wi-fi,
    whatever U got. Check on HCL list for SATA HD, maybe check for new driver
    for it

    peter, Mar 31, 2005
  10. "D. Young" wrote:

    > I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an MSI K8N
    > Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+ Processor.
    > The problem is when the install gets to Installing & detecting devices; It
    > hangs there.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone?

    A new install of W2K Server doesn't understand the 160 gig disk unless you
    have a slipstreamed CD. You need to create a partition smaller than 137GiB
    install the server, install the latest service pack and then bump the
    partition size up with partition magic or similar program. Alternately you
    can just make a D drive with the free space over 137GiB. It is a
    combination hardware and windows driver problem and you can't unstall the
    drivers until later in the install cycle hence the hang. You would probably
    see the same problem in an original XP home or pro disk. Server 2003
    probably does not have the problem as MS knew what was coming by then.

    ----
    I'm not consultant this web poster sux.

    The Shadow.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29uc3VsdGFudA==?=, Apr 1, 2005
  11. "Consultant" wrote:

    > "D. Young" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to install Windows 2000 Server on a new PC. I'm using an MSI K8N
    > > Platinum Mobo, 1GB Ram, 160GB Sata Drive, AM64 3400+ Processor.
    > > The problem is when the install gets to Installing & detecting devices; It
    > > hangs there.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions anyone?

    > A new install of W2K Server doesn't understand the 160 gig disk unless you
    > have a slipstreamed CD. You need to create a partition smaller than 137GiB
    > install the server, install the latest service pack and then bump the
    > partition size up with partition magic or similar program. Alternately you
    > can just make a D drive with the free space over 137GiB. It is a
    > combination hardware and windows driver problem and you can't unstall the
    > drivers until later in the install cycle hence the hang. You would probably
    > see the same problem in an original XP home or pro disk. Server 2003
    > probably does not have the problem as MS knew what was coming by then.
    >
    > ----
    > I'm not consultant this web poster sux.
    >
    > The Shadow.

    Ah thats better anyhow continuing on lthe same thing would happen when
    manufacturers were giving the free parallel controller cards. The drive
    would appear to format in the text mode part of the install and then you the
    graphical reboot occured you would eventually hang. This knowledge base
    article should help
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIFNoYWRvdw==?=, Apr 1, 2005