Installing Windows 2000 from scratch ...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rob Keel, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Rob Keel

    Rob Keel Guest

    Hi,

    Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
    Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
    install updates/patches etc.

    Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
    regarding the next steps?

    Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
    all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
    before then installing Av and firewall?

    Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?

    Many thanks for your help,

    Rob.

    Rob Keel, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Rob Keel

    Max Wachtel Guest

    Rob Keel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
    > Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
    > install updates/patches etc.
    >
    > Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
    > regarding the next steps?
    >
    > Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
    > all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
    > before then installing Av and firewall?
    >
    > Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?
    >
    > Many thanks for your help,
    >
    > Rob.

    Just like any other windows-you need to install and configure a firewall
    before going online. I am using broadband so using windows update was
    the way to go for me.
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236

    Max Wachtel, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Rob Keel

    PC Guest

    "Rob Keel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
    > Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
    > install updates/patches etc.
    >
    > Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
    > regarding the next steps?
    >
    > Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
    > all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
    > before then installing Av and firewall?
    >
    > Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?
    >
    > Many thanks for your help,
    >
    > Rob.

    Rob

    Offline (not connected to the internet)

    Windows 2000
    Hardware drivers (motherboard, video, sound)
    Any service pack's to hand
    Anti Virus
    Firewall
    Anti Spyware

    Some suggest a 'Ghost' image at this time is a good idea, up to you.

    Go Online (connect to the internet)

    Update Anti Virus
    Update Firewall if available
    Update Anti Spyware
    Microsoft Windows Update/patches

    Cheers
    Paul.
    Paul.

    PC, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Rob Keel

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Rob Keel mused:

    | Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to
    | install all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install
    | the updates before then installing Av and firewall?

    If you are behind a router you can safely go to Windows Update to
    get patches without a software firewall installed.

    mhicaoidh, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Rob Keel

    SgtMinor Guest

    Rob Keel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone please explain the complete procedure in setting up a
    > Windows 2000 installation from scratch including the order in which to
    > install updates/patches etc.
    >
    > Obviously, I would install Win 2K first. What's the general consensus
    > regarding the next steps?
    >
    > Do I then install AV and firewall and the connect to the net to install
    > all updates or can I safely connect to the net and install the updates
    > before then installing Av and firewall?
    >
    > Is there an online resource explaining the steps involved?
    >
    > Many thanks for your help,
    >
    > Rob.

    From Microsoft:

    "How To Install Windows 2000 Professional"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868&sd=tech

    SgtMinor, Jul 13, 2005