    we want with them !

    Thanks for replying,
    Bad Disciple
    Bad Disciple, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Bad Disciple

    Plato Guest

    Bad Disciple wrote:

    Zero fill the drive, then fdisk and format it. sys c: Then copy the
    contents of the win98 folder on the cd to a folder you make on the hard
    drive called win98. Then run setup from that folder.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Bad Disciple

    philo Guest

    Bad Disciple wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    >
    > On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    > made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    > So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    > another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    > In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    > "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    > "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    > there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >
    > What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    > Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    > we want with them !

    install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM
    if it works...
    then modify your vcache setting

    http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.php

    then add ram
    philo, Jun 6, 2005
  4. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > Bad Disciple wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    >>
    >> On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    >> made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    >> So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    >> another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    >> In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    >> "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    >> "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    >> there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >>
    >> What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    >> Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    >> we want with them !
    >>

    > install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM
    > if it works...
    > then modify your vcache setting
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.php
    >

    > then add ram

    I did install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM. It works.
    Then I modifyed the Vcache setting, then added RAM...
    and it continues doing the same shit...
    BD
    Bad Disciple, Jun 6, 2005
  5. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Bad Disciple wrote:
    >>

    > Zero fill the drive, then fdisk and format it. sys c: Then copy the
    > contents of the win98 folder on the cd to a folder you make on the hard
    > drive called win98. Then run setup from that folder.
    >
    >> On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    >> made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    >> So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    >> another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    >> In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    >> "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    >> "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    >> there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >>
    >> What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    >> Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    >> we want with them !
    >>
    >> Thanks for replying,
    >> Bad Disciple

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    I'll try this, it sounds cool. Thnx.
    BD
    Bad Disciple, Jun 6, 2005
  6. Bad Disciple

    Spajky Guest

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:11:59 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
    <> wrote:

    >I did install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM. It works.
    >Then I modifyed the Vcache setting, then added RAM...
    >and it continues doing the same shit...

    you may also extend the memory W98 could use more than default:

    [386Enh]
    MaxPhysPage=FF000

    if this doesn´t help add to system.ini also under there

    ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
    PageBuffers=32
    DMABufferSize=64
    PerVMFiles=200

    if still no joy, you have a faulty stick of ram or MoBo mem slot
    problem (try also bigger stick first into a first mem. slot!)

    --
    Regards , SPAJKY ®
    mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    Spajky, Jun 6, 2005
  7. Bad Disciple

    Robert Baer Guest

    Bad Disciple wrote:

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bad Disciple wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>>The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    >>>
    >>>On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    >>>made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    >>>So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    >>>another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    >>>In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    >>>"not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    >>>"remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    >>>there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >>>
    >>>What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    >>>Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    >>>we want with them !
    >>>

    >>install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM
    >>if it works...
    >>then modify your vcache setting
    >>
    >>http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.php
    >>

    >>then add ram

    > I did install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM. It works.
    > Then I modifyed the Vcache setting, then added RAM...
    > and it continues doing the same shit...
    > BD

    E-mail me if you want a copy of Win98SE; i understand tthe first
    edition was buggy and the second editoinfixed a lot of problems.
    BUT..do not put in more than 1Gbyte of RAM.
    If you do, Vcache must be set correctly, *and* the !!only!! video
    resolution possible is 640x480 (forgot how few colors - maybe 16).
    Robert Baer, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    > Zero fill the drive, then fdisk and format it. sys c: Then copy the
    > contents of the win98 folder on the cd to a folder you make on
    > the hard drive called win98. Then run setup from that folder.

    In fact, the problem is not in installing which I alreday made
    with 1GB memory, by pulling out one bar. It's in running Win98
    with more than 1GB of memory. And as I need to switch from
    WinXP to Win98 for some piece of time, I can't remove the
    memory bar all the time, as I need the maximum of memory
    with my work.
    BD

    Bad Disciple, Jun 7, 2005
  9. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Bad Disciple wrote:
    >
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >>>install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM
    >>>if it works...
    >>>then modify your vcache setting
    >>>
    >>>http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.php
    >>>

    >>>then add ram

    >> I did install win98 with just 512 megs of RAM. It works.
    >> Then I modifyed the Vcache setting, then added RAM...
    >> and it continues doing the same shit...
    >> BD

    > E-mail me if you want a copy of Win98SE; i understand tthe first edition
    > was buggy and the second editoinfixed a lot of problems.
    > BUT..do not put in more than 1Gbyte of RAM.
    > If you do, Vcache must be set correctly, *and* the !!only!! video
    > resolution possible is 640x480 (forgot how few colors - maybe 16).

    Well, as I've pointed earlier, it's exactly Win98 SE that I have.
    And I need to work with ALL my memory in WinXP. (Win98 is
    just to retrieve work done in the past in programs that don't run
    in WinXP). Thnx anyway.
    BD
    Bad Disciple, Jun 8, 2005