    we want with them !

    Thanks for replying,
    Bad Disciple
    Bad Disciple, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    Oops, sorry, I did a mistake and it went 3 times...
    Stinking informatics still waring Pampers...

    BD
    Bad Disciple, Jun 5, 2005

  3. From: "Bad Disciple" <>

    | Hi everybody,
    |
    | The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    |
    | On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    | made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    | So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    | another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    | In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    | "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    | "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    | there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    |
    | What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    | Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    | we want with them !
    |
    | Thanks for replying,
    | Bad Disciple

    This is NOT a Secrity related question.

    Win98 FAILS under 1.5GB RAM w/o specific SYSTEM.INI settings. Win98 is about to reach its
    End of Life.

    Since you decided to cross-post to security News Groups.

    The Security advice is to dump Win98 and put a more secure OS on !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
    and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.
    I'll not bother U anymore, thnx anyway 4 the effort of typing this.

    By the way, IF U read well what I described, you shouldn't suggest
    this pumped opinion. I SAID that I want to use some work I made
    with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    Otherwise, I've dumped Win98 possibly even b4 U.

    Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Bad Disciple

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:02:20 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
    >and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.

    This only proves that there are more ignorant people around
    particularly those who abbreviate where not appropriate.

    Anyhow, its a computer problem, you have a solution so
    be on your way.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 5, 2005
  6. Bad Disciple

    Ant Guest

    "Jim Watt" wrote:

    > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:02:20 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
    >>and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.

    > This only proves that there are more ignorant people around
    > particularly those who abbreviate where not appropriate.
    >
    > Anyhow, its a computer problem, you have a solution so
    > be on your way.

    What a polite way of saying (the appropriately abbreviated) FOAD :)
    Ant, Jun 5, 2005
  7. Bad Disciple

    Randy Guest

    Bad Disciple wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    >
    > On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    > made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    > So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    > another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    > In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    > "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    > "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    > there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >
    > What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    > Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    > we want with them !
    >
    > Thanks for replying,
    > Bad Disciple

    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed (Q253912)

    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98
    Microsoft Windows 95

    SYMPTOMS
    If a computer that is running any of the versions of Windows that are
    listed above contains more than 512 megabytes (for example, 768
    megabytes) of physical memory (RAM), you may experience one or more of
    the following symptoms:

    You may be unable to open an MS-DOS session (or command prompt) while
    Windows is running. Attempts to do so may generate the following error
    message:

    There is not enough memory available to run this program.
    Quit one or more programs, and then try again.
    The computer may stop responding (hang) while Windows is starting, or
    halt and display the following error message:

    Insufficient memory to initialize windows. Quit one or more
    memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your
    Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, and restart your computer.

    CAUSE
    The Windows 32-bit protected-mode cache driver (Vcache) determines the
    maximum cache size based on the amount of RAM that is present when
    Windows starts. Vcache then reserves enough memory addresses to permit
    it to access a cache of the maximum size so that it can increase the
    cache to that size if needed. These addresses are allocated in a range
    of virtual addresses from 0xC0000000 through 0xFFFFFFFF (3 to 4
    gigabytes) known as the system arena.

    On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be
    large enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system
    arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions
    such as opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine).

    WORKAROUND
    To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:

    Use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the
    maximum amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512 megabytes (524,288 KB)
    or less.

    For additional information about how to use the MaxFileCache setting,
    click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    Q108079 32-Bit File Access Maximum Cache Size
    Use the System Configuration utility to limit the amount of memory that
    Windows uses to 512 megabytes (MB) or less.

    For additional information about how to use the System Configuration
    utility, click the article number below to view the article in the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q181966 System Configuration Utility Advanced Troubleshooting Settings
    Reduce the amount of memory that is installed in your computer to 512 MB
    or less.

    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products
    that are listed at the beginning of this article.

    MORE INFORMATION
    Vcache is limited internally to a maximum cache size of 800 MB.

    This problem may occur more readily with Advanced Graphics Port (AGP)
    video adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in
    the system arena. For example, if Vcache is using a maximum cache size
    of 800 MB and an AGP video adapter has a 128-MB aperture mapped, there
    is very little address space remaining for the other system code and
    data that must occupy this range of virtual addresses.
    Randy, Jun 5, 2005
  8. Bad Disciple

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:34:05 +0100, "Ant" <> wrote:

    >"Jim Watt" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:02:20 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
    >>>and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.

    >> This only proves that there are more ignorant people around
    >> particularly those who abbreviate where not appropriate.
    >>
    >> Anyhow, its a computer problem, you have a solution so
    >> be on your way.

    >What a polite way of saying (the appropriately abbreviated) FOAD :)

    careful you'll make the posters cross
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 5, 2005
  9. Bad Disciple

    Winged Guest

    Bad Disciple wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    >
    > On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    > made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    > So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    > another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    > In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    > "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    > "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    > there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >
    > What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    > Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    > we want with them !
    >
    > Thanks for replying,
    > Bad Disciple

    Sounds like your computer is using you again;-)

    Was that HD formatted on this system or one with the same motherboard or
    same IDE controller? I suspect from your description you used a drive
    that had been formatted on another controller. If not you may want to
    fdisk and format that drive on the system to which it will be installed.

    Did you run the drive integrity check portion of win98 SE install?

    Winged
    Winged, Jun 5, 2005
  10. Bad Disciple

    Winged Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Bad Disciple" <>
    >
    > | Hi everybody,
    > |
    > | The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    > |
    > | On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    > | made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    > | So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    > | another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    > | In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    > | "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    > | "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    > | there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    > |
    > | What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    > | Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    > | we want with them !
    > |
    > | Thanks for replying,
    > | Bad Disciple
    > |

    > This is NOT a Secrity related question.
    >
    > Win98 FAILS under 1.5GB RAM w/o specific SYSTEM.INI settings. Win98 is about to reach its
    > End of Life.
    >
    > Since you decided to cross-post to security News Groups.
    >
    > The Security advice is to dump Win98 and put a more secure OS on !

    Good answer, much better than mine. I didn't even consider or remember
    possible RAM issue a previous post nor realize the crosspost until I hit
    send...hey it's Sunday...I wasn't thinking...

    Winged
    Winged, Jun 5, 2005
  11. Bad Disciple

    Spajky Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:12:44 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
    <> wrote:

    >Only that they just explain how to make the changes in Win95,
    >not in Win98 SE. And the System.ini file in Win98 SE has no
    >such line about "Vcache=...".

    I have limited Vcache to 48Mb like this: you could have MaxFileCache
    limited to higher value ...

    [vcache]
    NameCache=2048
    MinFileCache=32768
    MaxFileCache=49152
    chunksize=4096

    you may also extend the memory W98 could use more than default:

    [386Enh]
    MaxPhysPage=FF000

    --
    Regards , SPAJKY ®
    mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    Spajky, Jun 6, 2005
  12. Bad Disciple

    Robert Baer Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Bad Disciple" <>
    >
    > | Hi everybody,
    > |
    > | The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    > |
    > | On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    > | made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    > | So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    > | another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    > | In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    > | "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    > | "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    > | there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    > |
    > | What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    > | Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    > | we want with them !
    > |
    > | Thanks for replying,
    > | Bad Disciple
    > |

    > This is NOT a Secrity related question.
    >
    > Win98 FAILS under 1.5GB RAM w/o specific SYSTEM.INI settings. Win98 is about to reach its
    > End of Life.
    >
    > Since you decided to cross-post to security News Groups.
    >
    > The Security advice is to dump Win98 and put a more secure OS on !

    Like DOS!
    Robert Baer, Jun 6, 2005
  13. Bad Disciple

    Robert Baer Guest

    Randy wrote:

> [...]

    > Q181966 System Configuration Utility Advanced Troubleshooting Settings
    > Reduce the amount of memory that is installed in your computer to 512 MB
    > or less.
    >

    > STATUS
    > Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products
    > that are listed at the beginning of this article.
    >
    > MORE INFORMATION
    > Vcache is limited internally to a maximum cache size of 800 MB.
    >
    > This problem may occur more readily with Advanced Graphics Port (AGP)
    > video adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in
    > the system arena. For example, if Vcache is using a maximum cache size
    > of 800 MB and an AGP video adapter has a 128-MB aperture mapped, there
    > is very little address space remaining for the other system code and
    > data that must occupy this range of virtual addresses.

    Micro$oft says three different and contradictory statements, and
    technically, none of them are correct.
    * Their "512K limit" is plain bullshit, to be polite.
    Win98Se will run very happily using 1Gbyte with zero problems.
    If one adds more RAM, then one is stuck with 640x480 screen
    resolution, and *no* screen driver is allowed - and some kind of error
    message shows on boot, but can be ignored. I do not recommend that.
    Hell, even DOS can use that space with an extender.
    * They also state that all of their OSes will support 4Gbytes, and that
    also is plain bullshit.
    Now Win2K will run with more than 2Gbytes of RAM, but programs
    cannot use the extra space. However, the "background" services that the
    OS runs, gets moved up into that extra space, and that leaves more of
    the lower 2Gbytes available for a user program.
    * I forget the third statement, but is is not quite as ridiculous as
    the other two.
    Robert Baer, Jun 6, 2005
  14. Bad Disciple

    Robert Baer Guest

    Winged wrote:

    > Bad Disciple wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    >>
    >> On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    >> made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    >> So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    >> another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    >> In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    >> "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    >> "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    >> there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >>
    >> What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    >> Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    >> we want with them !
    >>
    >> Thanks for replying,
    >> Bad Disciple
    >>

    > Sounds like your computer is using you again;-)
    >
    > Was that HD formatted on this system or one with the same motherboard or
    > same IDE controller? I suspect from your description you used a drive
    > that had been formatted on another controller. If not you may want to
    > fdisk and format that drive on the system to which it will be installed.
    >
    > Did you run the drive integrity check portion of win98 SE install?
    >
    > Winged

    Methinks you do not know the actual limits of Win98...
    This is *NOT* a HD problem.
    Robert Baer, Jun 6, 2005
  15. Bad Disciple

    Winged Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Winged wrote:
    >
    >> Bad Disciple wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
    >>>
    >>> On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
    >>> made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
    >>> So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
    >>> another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
    >>> In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
    >>> "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
    >>> "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
    >>> there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
    >>>
    >>> What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
    >>> Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
    >>> we want with them !
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for replying,
    >>> Bad Disciple
    >>>

    >> Sounds like your computer is using you again;-)
    >>
    >> Was that HD formatted on this system or one with the same motherboard
    >> or same IDE controller? I suspect from your description you used a
    >> drive that had been formatted on another controller. If not you may
    >> want to fdisk and format that drive on the system to which it will be
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> Did you run the drive integrity check portion of win98 SE install?
    >>
    >> Winged

    > Methinks you do not know the actual limits of Win98...
    > This is *NOT* a HD problem.

    Yup, I was obviously in error. It has been a long time since I ran 98
    and at the time the memory was not an issue. From the description it
    sounded like a preformated drive was used which I have seen problems
    with. Yes, I was in error. Happens :)

    Winged
    Winged, Jun 6, 2005
  16. Bad Disciple

    birdman Guest

    I did not read all the threads, except for Kadman.
    If you have not solved your problem, having faced inomcpatibilities with
    Win98 and Win98SE and modern motherboards, the easiest way around it is to
    install WinME. It works with larger amounts of RAM, most modern motherboards
    and should read programs that will run in Win98.
    Are you sure you can't run your old program in a WinXP compatibility mode?
    Once in a while this actually works as advertised with older programs . . .
    birdman, Jun 6, 2005
  17. Bad Disciple

    Robert Baer Guest

    birdman wrote:
    > I did not read all the threads, except for Kadman.
    > If you have not solved your problem, having faced inomcpatibilities with
    > Win98 and Win98SE and modern motherboards, the easiest way around it is to
    > install WinME. It works with larger amounts of RAM, most modern motherboards
    > and should read programs that will run in Win98.
    > Are you sure you can't run your old program in a WinXP compatibility mode?
    > Once in a while this actually works as advertised with older programs . . .

    ?????WinME????
    Are you nuts?
    The *only* way to get a stable install is to start with a
    !!completely!! clean hard drive.
    And if you happen to have a 16 bit IDE device and enable DMA, the OS
    *will* zap the IDE driver circuitry (at minimum).
    I speak from bitter experience.
    Robert Baer, Jun 7, 2005
  18. Bad Disciple

    Ashp Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > ?????WinME????
    > Are you nuts?
    > The *only* way to get a stable install is to start with a
    > !!completely!! clean hard drive.
    > And if you happen to have a 16 bit IDE device and enable DMA, the OS
    > *will* zap the IDE driver circuitry (at minimum).
    > I speak from bitter experience.

    What is the maximum it will do? Rape my wife?

    Ash.
    Ashp, Jun 7, 2005
  19. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    "birdman" <> wrote in message
    >I did not read all the threads, except for Kadman.
    > If you have not solved your problem, having faced inomcpatibilities with
    > Win98 and Win98SE and modern motherboards, the easiest way around it is to
    > install WinME. It works with larger amounts of RAM, most modern
    > motherboards and should read programs that will run in Win98.
    > Are you sure you can't run your old program in a WinXP compatibility mode?
    > Once in a while this actually works as advertised with older programs . .
    > .

    NO, this definitely doesn't f**k off work !
    And I'm really p***ed off to have to use Win98 back !
    Well, I'll keep ypour advice abut WinME if it Win98 never
    worked out. But have to find it...
    BD
    Bad Disciple, Jun 7, 2005
  20. From: "Bad Disciple" <>

    | NO, this definitely doesn't f**k off work !
    | And I'm really p***ed off to have to use Win98 back !
    | Well, I'll keep ypour advice abut WinME if it Win98 never
    | worked out. But have to find it...
    | BD

    Maybe you missed this so I will post it again...

    You have to add the vcache setting. The following is a guide...

    [vcache]
    ;384MB
    ;MaxFileCache=275000
    ;512MB
    ;MaxFileCache=358000
    ;>512MB
    ;MaxFileCache=512000

    So you would have to add...

    [vcache]
    MaxFileCache=512000

    And add the following which you will have to experiment with.
    The setting will be between 20000 and 40000

    [386Enh]
    MaxPhysPage=40000

    David H. Lipman, Jun 7, 2005