    version) on this hardware and will it still run reliably?

    (Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't have much
    experience with these 64-bit CPUs.)

    =?Utf-8?B?cmlhcGhv?=, Sep 12, 2005

  2. "riapho" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I came into possession of an Intel 64-bit server, but I don't have Windows
    > Server 2003 64-bit version.
    >
    > Could I go ahead and install Windows 2003 Server Standard (the old 32-bit
    > version) on this hardware and will it still run reliably?
    >
    > (Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't have much
    > experience with these 64-bit CPUs.)

    This rather depends

    If the Server contains an Intel Itanium processor then no you cannot install
    the 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003.

    If the server contains an Intel Pentium or Xeon processor then yes you can.

    The Intel Itanium processor is not capable of running our 32-bit operating
    systems - you would need the specific Itanium version (IA-64) of our 64-bit
    operating systems and products to run on it.

    To check the processor type watch the screen at power on or have a look in
    the BIOS etc or even just check with the server manufacturer or on their web
    site etc..

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Sep 12, 2005

  3. There is a trial for Windows Server 2003 for Itanium Systems:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com