    Can anybody HELP?
    TIA
    ron
    Ronald Murray, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Ronald Murray wrote:

    > Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?

    yes, format/partition the hard drive first

    > The one that I bought says OEM
    > Not sure what that means

    it means that it will only work on the computer that it was supplied
    with. it means that you just got ripped off.
    David Fairbrother, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Ronald Murray

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    David Fairbrother wrote:
    > Ronald Murray wrote:
    >
    >> Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?

    > yes, format/partition the hard drive first
    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1778

    No, that can be done after booting with the XP CD.

    >> The one that I bought says OEM
    >> Not sure what that means

    > it means that it will only work on the computer that it was supplied
    > with. it means that you just got ripped off.

    No it doesn't necessarily mean the OP was ripped off. Being OEM does
    not always mean it is tied to a particular computer system. For
    example, as a system builder I can, and do, buy OEM copies of XP to
    bundle with systems.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Ronald Murray

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Ronald Murray wrote:
    > Hello
    > I bought a used custom built computer with no operating system. I purchased
    > Win XP on eBay.
    > I tried to install this onto the computer , but nothing happens. It has two
    > DVD drives. I tried both but nothing seems to work. It does not have a
    > floppy drive.
    > Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?
    > The one that I bought says OEM
    > Not sure what that means
    > I put the CD into the drive then pushed the power button but nothing shows
    > up on the monitor.
    > Can anybody HELP?
    > TIA
    > ron

    Have you checked to see whether the computer is set to boot from CD?

    Typically enter the BIOS at boot (there may be a prompt to press DEL,
    F10 or something else), and look for a section marked boot order or
    something similar. Set to boot from CD first, then Hard Drive. Save,
    exit from BIOS and reboot.

    Normally you would then get a prompt to "Press any key to boot from
    CDROM", and the XP install process will start.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 14, 2006
  5. "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    > Have you checked to see whether the computer is set to boot from CD?
    >
    > Typically enter the BIOS at boot (there may be a prompt to press DEL, F10
    > or something else), and look for a section marked boot order or something
    > similar. Set to boot from CD first, then Hard Drive. Save, exit from
    > BIOS and reboot.
    >
    > Normally you would then get a prompt to "Press any key to boot from
    > CDROM", and the XP install process will start.

    Does he even get as far as a boot screen? He says NOTHING happens not even a
    monitor display.

    John
    John Rampling, Sep 14, 2006
  6. Ronald Murray

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    John Rampling wrote:
    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >> Have you checked to see whether the computer is set to boot from CD?
    >>
    >> Typically enter the BIOS at boot (there may be a prompt to press DEL, F10
    >> or something else), and look for a section marked boot order or something
    >> similar. Set to boot from CD first, then Hard Drive. Save, exit from
    >> BIOS and reboot.
    >>
    >> Normally you would then get a prompt to "Press any key to boot from
    >> CDROM", and the XP install process will start.
    >>

    > Does he even get as far as a boot screen? He says NOTHING happens not even a
    > monitor display.
    >
    > John

    You are quite right John, reading his post again it does look like he
    does not get to the boot screen.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 14, 2006
  7. Ronald Murray

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > I bought a used custom built computer with no operating system. I
    > purchased Win XP on eBay.
    > I tried to install this onto the computer , but nothing happens. It has
    > two DVD drives. I tried both but nothing seems to work. It does not have a
    > floppy drive.
    > Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?
    > The one that I bought says OEM
    > Not sure what that means
    > I put the CD into the drive then pushed the power button but nothing shows
    > up on the monitor.
    > Can anybody HELP?
    > TIA
    > ron

    So there's quite possibly a hardware issue that's got to be corrected before
    XP will load properly. Maybe the video card's bad, maybe the mobo's mad.
    Check the latter for leaking or bulging capacitors. Remove the RAM chip or
    chips. If it doesn't beep, then the mobo for sure.
    Mark Mandell, Sep 14, 2006
  8. Ronald Murray

    Bob Guest

    Mark Mandell wrote:
    > "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    > So there's quite possibly a hardware issue that's got to be corrected before
    > XP will load properly. Maybe the video card's bad, maybe the mobo's mad.
    > Check the latter for leaking or bulging capacitors. Remove the RAM chip or
    > chips. If it doesn't beep, then the mobo for sure.

    A more likely problem would be a faulty memory card. A POST check
    checks CPU first, memory second, video card third, then on to
    peripherals. Of those checks, memory probably has the highest failure
    rate.
    Bob, Sep 16, 2006