    Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
    TIA
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Ronald Murray

    Kevin Guest

    "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    news:E9CGj.515$9X3.99@edtnps82...
    > Hello
    > I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
    > laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
    > The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
    > I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to install
    > it on my desktop hard drive.
    > Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
    > TIA
    > ron

    No. Windows doesn't like it when you try to install it on external drives.
    It wants to be on the primary partition designated as the C drive.

    Kevin, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Ronald Murray

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    > "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
    >> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
    >> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
    >> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to
    >> install it on my desktop hard drive.
    >> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
    >> TIA
    >> ron

    Does your PC even have an option to boot to usb drive in BIOS ?

    - Bobb -, Mar 29, 2008
  4. Ronald Murray

    Guest

    On 29 Mar, 14:21, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    > > "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello
    > >> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
    > >> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
    > >> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
    > >> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to
    > >> install it on my desktop hard drive.
    > >> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
    > >> TIA
    > >> ron

    > Does your PC even have an option to boot to usb drive in BIOS ?

    It's actually a common option.

    Did you ever consider that he might be trying to boot off an IDE
    drive, and then loading windows off a USB drive? (thus he would not
    need to boot off a usb drive/disk).

    Installing windows onto a USB drive, and Booting windows xp off a USB
    drive.. I think both can be done, but have a number of
    technicalities.

    There is actually this site with a forum , that goes into it.

    http://forums.ngine.de/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=20b46cb1196c6b581e1fbd7df706e113

    , Mar 29, 2008