    computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard disc
    first? If so, how do I go about this?
    Many Thanks for any replies.

    exntluser, Nov 14, 2009

  2. exntluser

    rf Guest

    "exntluser" <> wrote in message
    news:v3vLm.59958$2...
    > If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    > computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard disc
    > first? If so, how do I go about this?

    What happened when you looked at the documentation that came with Windows 7?

    If you didn't find it there then what happened when you looked at the
    Microsoft site?

    If you don't know how to format a disk then do you really think you should
    be attempting to install a new operating system?

    You did back up your data before this proposed format, didn't you? Did you?
    Where is it?

    rf, Nov 14, 2009

  3. exntluser

    John Holmes Guest

    rf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "exntluser" <> wrote in message
    >> If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    >> computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard
    >> disc first? If so, how do I go about this?

    > What happened when you looked at the documentation that came with
    > Windows 7?
    >
    > If you didn't find it there then what happened when you looked at the
    > Microsoft site?
    >
    > If you don't know how to format a disk then do you really think you
    > should be attempting to install a new operating system?
    >
    > You did back up your data before this proposed format, didn't you? Did
    > you? Where is it?

    What makes you think you're the moderator of this froup, eh?

    --
    Your mother was a perverted zombie who programmed silly utilities in a
    New Orleans bar for transvestites.

    John Holmes, Nov 14, 2009
  4. exntluser

    exntluser Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "exntluser" <> wrote in message
    >> If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    >> computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard disc
    >> first? If so, how do I go about this?

    > What happened when you looked at the documentation that came with Windows
    > 7?

    I wasn't able to understand it, that's why I asked on this "helpdesk"
    newsgroup!

    > If you didn't find it there then what happened when you looked at the
    > Microsoft site?

    I wasn't able to understand it, that's why I asked on this "helpdesk"
    newsgroup!

    > If you don't know how to format a disk then do you really think you should
    > be attempting to install a new operating system?

    I have installed Win XP operating systems many times but these have always
    given me the choice of formatting the hard disc. Windows 7 doesn't seem to
    give me that choice!

    > You did back up your data before this proposed format, didn't you? Did
    > you? Where is it?

    Do you really need me to give you a description of where it is all stored?

    P.S. Do you have an answer to my original question?

    exntluser, Nov 14, 2009
  5. exntluser

    VanguardLH Guest

    exntluser wrote:

    > If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    > computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard disc
    > first? If so, how do I go about this?

    There is no upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7. Only from
    Windows Vista to Windows 7. You *migrate* from Windows XP to Windows 7.
    Windows 7 will format the partition and wipe everything out in it when
    it lays down a fresh copy of the new OS (which is really what you should
    always do to eliminate hauling along baggage from the old OS).

    Windows 7 upgrade paths
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyId=e170eba1-5bab-401f-bbf5-00f0ee7fe0fb

    Of course, there's still Google:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+"windows xp" +"windows 7" +upgrade

    VanguardLH, Nov 14, 2009
  6. exntluser

    rf Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > exntluser wrote:
    >
    >> P.S. Do you have an answer to my original question?

    > Some idiots exist only to try to make others look stupider than they are.
    >
    > Go into Windows Explorer, right click on the C: drive, choose "Format".

    :)

    How bloody hard was that, OP?

    rf, Nov 14, 2009
  7. exntluser

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:48:22 -0000, exntluser wrote:

    >"rf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "exntluser" <> wrote in message
    >>> If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    >>> computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard disc
    >>> first? If so, how do I go about this?

    >> What happened when you looked at the documentation that came with Windows
    >> 7?

    >I wasn't able to understand it, that's why I asked on this "helpdesk"
    >newsgroup!

    Just what sort of "helpdesk" did you think 24HSHD is?

    >> If you didn't find it there then what happened when you looked at the
    >> Microsoft site?

    So nothing in the documentation , online at MS.... perhaps you shouldn't
    be installing an OS.

    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/14019

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7
    -------------------------------
    There are two options to choose from during the Windows 7 installation
    process:

    *Upgrade. This option replaces your current version of Windows with
    Windows 7, and keeps your files, settings, and programs in place on your
    computer.
    *Custom. This option replaces your current version of Windows with
    Windows 7, but doesn't preserve your files, settings, and programs. It's
    sometimes referred to as a clean installation for that reason.

    Before you begin installing Windows 7
    Using the Upgrade installation option

    The Upgrade option keeps your files, settings, and programs from your
    current version of Windows. To learn more about which versions of
    Windows can be upgraded to Windows 7, go to Upgrading to Windows 7:
    frequently asked questions on the Windows website.
    -------------------------------

    >I wasn't able to understand it, that's why I asked on this "helpdesk"
    >newsgroup!

    Then say you looked at a,b and c but need help.

    >> If you don't know how to format a disk then do you really think you should
    >> be attempting to install a new operating system?

    >I have installed Win XP operating systems many times but these have always
    >given me the choice of formatting the hard disc. Windows 7 doesn't seem to
    >give me that choice!

    So the option you get is Upgrade / Custom (including the wording Install
    a new copy , does not keep your files, the option to make changes to
    disks and partitions).

    Okay I didn't have to guess the wording, it's in a screen shot
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7#section_3

    Where doesn't it give you the choice - In the Drive/Partition GUI try
    clicking 'Advanced' as in oh look another choice...

    -------------------------------
    If you don't format your hard disk during installation, data files are
    saved to a Windows.old folder on the partition you installed Windows 7
    on. However, you should still back up your files. If you have data files
    that are encrypted, you might not be able to access them after
    installing Windows 7. If you've backed up your data files and then
    restored them after installing Windows 7, you can delete the Windows.old
    folder.
    -------------------------------

    That seems to be pretty clear and to the point.

    Then the UG section

    -------------------------------
    Using the Custom installation option and formatting the hard disk

    Formatting your hard disk during a custom installation of Windows 7
    permanently erases everything on the partition that you are formatting,
    including your files, settings, and programs.

    Back up any files and settings you want to keep so that you can restore
    them after the installation is complete. You'll need to reinstall your
    programs, so make sure you have the installation discs and product keys
    for the programs you want to use in Windows 7, or setup files for any
    programs you downloaded from the Internet.

    On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

    On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options
    (advanced).

    Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option
    you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

    When you've finished formatting, click Next.

    Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include
    naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.
    -------------------------------

    www.google.com ,
    Results 1 - 10 of about 134,000,000 for
    windows 7 format
    .. (0.28 seconds)

    >> You did back up your data before this proposed format, didn't you? Did
    >> you? Where is it?

    >Do you really need me to give you a description of where it is all stored?

    You did a backup , another backup at least and tested you could recover
    files.

    >P.S. Do you have an answer to my original question?

    Did you have to not bother saying what you tries / what the result was

    why?, Nov 14, 2009
  8. exntluser

    rf Guest

    "exntluser" <> wrote in message

    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "exntluser" <> wrote in message
    >>> If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    >>> computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard
    >>> disc first? If so, how do I go about this?

    >> What happened when you looked at the documentation that came with Windows
    >> 7?

    > I wasn't able to understand it, that's why I asked on this "helpdesk"
    > newsgroup!

    So you shouldn't be trying to install anything if you can't understand the
    instructions that came with the product.

    >> If you didn't find it there then what happened when you looked at the
    >> Microsoft site?

    > I wasn't able to understand it, that's why I asked on this "helpdesk"
    > newsgroup!

    So you shouldn't be trying to install anyting if you can't understand the
    instructions on the vendors web site.

    >> If you don't know how to format a disk then do you really think you
    >> should be attempting to install a new operating system?

    > I have installed Win XP operating systems many times but these have always
    > given me the choice of formatting the hard disc. Windows 7 doesn't seem to
    > give me that choice!
    >

    >> You did back up your data before this proposed format, didn't you? Did
    >> you? Where is it?

    > Do you really need me to give you a description of where it is all stored?

    Yes, in this case I do for I feel that you l might have not bloody clue.

    > P.S. Do you have an answer to my original question?

    Format the drive. If you don't know how to do this then activeate your XP
    help and look for formatting disk drives. If this does not help then read
    the fucking manual. If this does not help then pack up your computer in its
    original box and send it back for a refund.

    FFS what a bloody stupid original question.

    rf, Nov 14, 2009
  9. exntluser

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:50:18 +0000, exntluser wrote:

    > If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    > computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard
    > disc first? If so, how do I go about this? Many Thanks for any replies.

    You're a fucking moron, and are not capable of installing an OS to a
    computer. Bugger off and go play in traffic.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

    Dan C, Nov 14, 2009
  10. exntluser

    chuckcar Guest

    "exntluser" <> wrote in

    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "exntluser" <> wrote in message
    >>> If I was to do a complete install of windows 7 ultimate 32bit on to a
    >>> computer that has windows xp pro on it, do I need to format the hard
    >>> disc first? If so, how do I go about this?

    >> What happened when you looked at the documentation that came with
    >> Windows 7?

    > I wasn't able to understand it, that's why I asked on this "helpdesk"
    > newsgroup!

    Then try again or get someone else to install windows 7 for you. If you
    don't understand what you're doing, you can and will get it wrong without
    knowing it or how to fix it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 14, 2009