    the install media." I am currently running Vista Home Premium 32-bit and just
    want to upgrade. Setup works if I try to install the 32-bit version of
    Ultimate however. Do I not have the specs needed to install 64-bit? Thanks!
    dwaldron, Mar 10, 2008

  2. You cannot run the 64bit Setup from a 32bit desktop because it is a 64bit
    program. You have to boot the computer with the dvd and install that way.
    You cannot upgrade Vista 32bit to Vista 64bit anyway. You have to do a
    custom installation. If you are going to install to the same volume you are
    now using VHP on then use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard to save your
    files and settings to intermediate storage and then restore them after
    Ultimate is up and running. You will have to reinstall your apps anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 10, 2008

  3. dwaldron

    dwaldron Guest

    OK, thanks. I am not very techy though, how do I boot from the dvd? Also,
    should I go through all the trouble to install this or just upgrade to the
    Ultimate 32-bit? I was under the impression that the 64-bit would take more
    advantage of the system's specs. Please let me know if it is worth it. Thanks!

    dwaldron, Mar 10, 2008
  4. dwaldron

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Unless I misunderstand what you wrote, you have Windows Vista Home Premium
    32 bit runnung and you are trying to do an install of Windows Vista Ultimate
    64 bit. This will not work.

    Start the computer from power-off, insert the DVD and run the setup from
    the DVD. You will have to install Vista 64 bit to a different partition or a
    different HD from Vista 32 bit. Alternately, you can delete the present
    installation and install to a clean drive.

    There are instructions for doing this on various Internet sites. If you let
    us know what you want to do, someone can provide more detailed suggestions.
    I am far too lazy to provide instructions for all possible scenarios.

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Make sure that the dvd drive is ahead of the hdd in the boot order in the
    BIOS. Once you do that, insert the dvd in the drive tray and restart the
    computer. When you see the message "press any key to boot from the dvd..."
    press a key. That is the only time you respond to that message. The next
    times the computer reboots you will not want to boot from the dvd all over
    again so you will let that message time out.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Whether it is worth migrating to x64 is up to you. Since you have 4GB I
    think it is. Remember, though, that you need 64bit drivers for the devices
    on your computer and may need 64bit versions of one or two programs. Why
    don't you take some time to check some websites to be sure that you can get
    everything you need?

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 10, 2008
  7. dwaldron

    dwaldron Guest

    Tom, you are correct. What I would like to do is get rid of Home Premium
    32-bit and upgrade to Ultimate 64-bit. How do I go about uninstalling the
    32-bit and then upgrading to the 64-bit? Thanks!

    dwaldron, Mar 10, 2008
  8. You don't uninstall it. When you boot with the 64bit dvd you will have the
    drive tools available to remove, recreate, and format partitions. Remove
    the partition with VHP on it, create a new one in its place for VU x64 and
    just install.

    You haven't said whether your VU product key is upgrade or standard. If it
    is an upgrade key then you need to leave VHP in place until after you have
    entered the VU pk. At that point Setup will search your computer, find the
    VHP installation, and proceed. From that point on you no longer need the
    VHP installation and can delete its partition.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 10, 2008
  9. dwaldron

    Mark Guest

    Actually, a little bit more information is needed to give you the correct
    instructions:

    1. Is your Vista Home Premium OEM, Retail Full Version, or an Upgrade?

    The answer to this determines the path to x64.
    With VHP OEM, I believe you cannot "upgrade" or "migrate" to x64. You are
    required to buy a Full or Upgrade license. Best to talk to the vendor who
    sold you the system. This may be causing your error message.
    With VHP Upgrade, you must first wipe your hard drive and re-install a valid
    upgrade path OS on your system: XP SP2, W2K, etc. Then, you custom install
    x64 using you Ultimate PK.
    With VHP Full Version, you do as others stated by booting from the dvd and
    selecting custom install.
    Installation instructions:
    A good review of this article is important:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

    Mark, Mar 10, 2008
  10. With an upgrade product key and an x64 dvd the user still boots with the dvd
    and enters the pk just like he does with a full edition pk. Unlike when
    booting with the the x86 dvd, the user is NOT instructed to run Setup from
    the existing Windows. That only happens with the x86 dvd. Instead x64
    Setup verifies that an eligible copy of Windows is installed and then
    proceeds exactly as if booting with a full edition pk. From that point on
    the user has access to the disk tools and can perform a clean install in the
    classic sense.

    It is only with the x86 dvd that an upgrade pk requires running Setup from
    an existing Windows. When Setup is run from within an existing Windows the
    disk tools are not available and that's why the well-known workaround is
    needed if the user wants to perform a classic clean install with an upgrade
    pk.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 10, 2008
  11. dwaldron

    Mark Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

    (My point about an upgrade PK is that you must revert to XP prior to using
    it to install x64 from Vista x86.)

    Copied directly from the Microsoft site:

    Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a
    32-bit version of Windows Vista

    If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD,
    you must use one of the following methods:

    Method 1
    Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

    Method 2
    1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
    2. Install Windows XP.

    3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation
    method that is listed earlier in this article.

    If you have purchased a full license together with a Windows Vista DVD,
    follow these steps:

    1. Back up all the data and settings by using Windows Easy Transfer. Windows
    Easy Transfer is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use
    the version that is on the Windows Vista DVD for your currently installed
    32-bit version of Windows Vista.

    2. Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and
    then restart the computer.

    3. Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.
    Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the
    Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit
    operating system.

    4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select
    Custom as your installation choice.

    5. When the installation is complete, you can restore the data from its
    backup location.

    Mark, Mar 10, 2008
  12. dwaldron

    dwaldron Guest

    OK, I bought the full version of Vista Ultimate from Best Buy not from the
    upgrade site. Also, how do I boot the computer from the DVD? Sorry I am not
    very tech saavy! So when I boot from the dvd I will unistall Home Premium
    32-bit first then install Ultimate 64-bit? I will also lose all of my
    applications correct? What about like all of my Office applications? Do I
    need to backup all my music and documents?

    dwaldron, Mar 10, 2008
  13. Make sure that the cd drive is ahead of the hard drive in the boot order in
    the Bios. Then insert the dvd and restart the computer. When you see a
    message "Press any key to boot from cd or dvd...." press a key. The
    computer will boot from the dvd and you will be into Vista Setup. As the OS
    installs the computer will reboot several times. You will see the same
    message about "Press any key...." each time briefly but do not press a key
    and the computer will boot from the hard drive and continue installation.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 10, 2008
  14. dwaldron

    John Barnes Guest

    Since you have the full version, as mentioned earlier, you delete the
    partition with VHP, create a new partition, format and then continue with
    the install of VU

    John Barnes, Mar 11, 2008
  15. dwaldron

    dwaldron Guest

    Will I lose all of my music and documents? I know I will have to reinstall
    all of my programs though. Also, when I loaded from the CD it went right into
    the install. Nothing about partitions came up or anything...

    dwaldron, Mar 11, 2008
  16. Review the screenshots from here
    http://vistaultimate.windowsreinstall.com/installnewhdd/installnewhdd.htm
    to see at what stage the screen comes up showing the available volumes. You
    will reach it. Even if only one volume is available.

    You will only lose your music and docs if you don't save them first and
    restore them after. Use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard to save to
    intermediate storage and then use WET again to restore them.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 11, 2008
  17. dwaldron

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes you would lose your files. Your safest bet is to copy anything you want
    to save to another partition or to a CD/DVD. Using Windows Easy Transfer
    would be one way to transfer them. You could also install into the
    partition with VHP on it and it will be rolled into a .old file which will
    contain your music files etc on the same partition as VU. The partition
    information is on I believe the eighth screen of the install, where you are
    asked to choose where you want to install.

    John Barnes, Mar 11, 2008
  18. dwaldron

    dwaldron Guest

    Thanks for everything guys, I think I finally feel confident enough to
    install this. Also, do you think I could save my documents to my recovery
    drive (D: drive) which has like 9GB of space or does this get reformatted too?

    dwaldron, Mar 11, 2008
  19. It doesn't get reformatted when you only do the primary partition. However,
    it might be read-only.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 11, 2008
  20. dwaldron

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I'm glad things are taking shape for you.

    Re saving your documents and user files:

    My personal preference in such situations is to save them to external
    storage. That could be done by burning them to DVD or copying to an external
    hard drive, say, a thumb drive, network drive (if the box is on a network),
    or USB drive depending on availability and space needed. In the alternative,
    it might be possible to shrink the existing partition and create a new one
    upon which to save the files. You can use Windows disk management or
    something like Acronis Disk Director.

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 11, 2008