    screen when it tries to do the graphical install (which I presume it is)
    Is there a command you type after the initial boot prompt to install by
    text?
    JC, Jan 13, 2006

  2. JC

    shannon Guest

    JC wrote:
    > Trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer laptop, but keep getting a garbled
    > screen when it tries to do the graphical install (which I presume it is)
    > Is there a command you type after the initial boot prompt to install by
    > text?

    It doesn't do a graphic install, it might just be setting a console mode
    that your lappy doesn't like.
    Press F12 when you see the splash screen for the boot options
    shannon, Jan 13, 2006

  3. JC

    shannon Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > JC wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer laptop, but keep getting a garbled
    >> screen when it tries to do the graphical install (which I presume it
    >> is) Is there a command you type after the initial boot prompt to
    >> install by text?

    > It doesn't do a graphic install, it might just be setting a console mode
    > that your lappy doesn't like.
    > Press F12 when you see the splash screen for the boot options

    boot: linux debian-installer/framebuffer=false

    might work
    shannon, Jan 13, 2006
  4. JC

    will Guest

    I was trying to run Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD, on an Acer laptop too, and I
    was stuck when it was at 86% of finding ide-cd Linux ATAPI something,
    and just waited there until I restarted.

    Do I have to wait a bit longer or it's just not meant for me?
    will, Jan 13, 2006
  5. JC

    steve Guest

    JC wrote:

    > Trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer laptop, but keep getting a garbled
    > screen when it tries to do the graphical install (which I presume it is)
    > Is there a command you type after the initial boot prompt to install by
    > text?

    Have you looked here?

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/acer.html
    steve, Jan 13, 2006
  6. JC

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:56:20 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >JC wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer laptop, but keep getting a garbled
    >> screen when it tries to do the graphical install (which I presume it is)
    >> Is there a command you type after the initial boot prompt to install by
    >> text?

    >Have you looked here?
    >
    >http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/acer.html

    Use Windows XP. It should install fine on that machine.

    :)

    Sorry, couldn't resist!
    Craig Shore, Jan 13, 2006
  7. JC

    JC Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:56:20 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> JC wrote:
    >>
    >>> Trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer laptop, but keep getting a garbled
    >>> screen when it tries to do the graphical install (which I presume it is)
    >>> Is there a command you type after the initial boot prompt to install by
    >>> text?

    >> Have you looked here?
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/acer.html
    >>

    > Use Windows XP. It should install fine on that machine.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Sorry, couldn't resist!

    I am using Windows XP, I want to set up a dual boot system with XP and
    Ubuntu if possible.
    JC, Jan 13, 2006
  8. JC

    ahmad Guest

    hi sex weman
    ahmad, Jan 13, 2006
  9. JC

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:21:17 +1300, JC <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:56:20 +1300, steve <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Have you looked here?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/acer.html
    >>>

    >> Use Windows XP. It should install fine on that machine.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Sorry, couldn't resist!

    >I am using Windows XP, I want to set up a dual boot system with XP and
    >Ubuntu if possible.

    Yeah I know. It wasn't an answer to your problem, it was a dig at Steve relating
    to another current thread here.
    Craig Shore, Jan 13, 2006
  10. JC

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:56:20 +1300, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>JC wrote:
    >>
    >>> Trying to install Ubuntu on an Acer laptop, but keep getting a garbled
    >>> screen when it tries to do the graphical install (which I presume it is)
    >>> Is there a command you type after the initial boot prompt to install by
    >>> text?

    >>Have you looked here?
    >>
    >>http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/acer.html
    >>

    > Use Windows XP. It should install fine on that machine.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Sorry, couldn't resist!

    That's fine. It's a perfectly good answer. No objections here.

    :)
    steve, Jan 13, 2006
  11. JC

    steve Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:21:17 +1300, JC <> wrote:
    >
    >>Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> Use Windows XP. It should install fine on that machine.
    >>>
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, couldn't resist!

    >>I am using Windows XP, I want to set up a dual boot system with XP and
    >>Ubuntu if possible.

    > Yeah I know. It wasn't an answer to your problem, it was a dig at Steve
    > relating to another current thread here.

    No dig.

    It was a good answer.

    Wasn't it you who objected to me offering perfectly good answers?

    :)
    steve, Jan 13, 2006
  12. JC

    steve Guest