Installing two OS on the same partition

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Pincopallino, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. Pincopallino

    Pincopallino Guest

    The MCDST textbook says:

    "Another reason to use multiple partitions is to isolate operating systems
    from one another when you install more than one operating system on a
    computer.
    Although it is technically possible to install some operating systems on the
    same
    partition, Microsoft does not recommend or support this practice. You should
    always
    create a separate partition for each operating system."

    Thus, installing two OS on the same partition is possible but (obviously)
    not
    recommended.
    Among the the MeasureUp MCDST questions one includes among the
    possible answers installing XP and 98 on the same partition but it is
    considered a WRONG answer.

    Who's wrong?

    Pincopallino, Sep 16, 2007

  2. Pincopallino

    Pincopallino Guest

    "Matt Wheeler" <> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > "Pincopallino" <> wrote in message
    >> The MCDST textbook says:
    >>
    >> "Another reason to use multiple partitions is to isolate operating
    >> systems
    >> from one another when you install more than one operating system on a
    >> computer.
    >> Although it is technically possible to install some operating systems on
    >> the same
    >> partition, Microsoft does not recommend or support this practice. You
    >> should always
    >> create a separate partition for each operating system."
    >>

    >> Thus, installing two OS on the same partition is possible but (obviously)
    >> not
    >> recommended.
    >> Among the the MeasureUp MCDST questions one includes among the
    >> possible answers installing XP and 98 on the same partition but it is
    >> considered a WRONG answer.
    >>
    >> Who's wrong?
    >>

    > possibly neither, it depends on the question....
    > If, for instance, the question makes reference to the XP install using
    > NTFS, then, no, 98 won't work.

    No, the question allows both NTFS and FAT32
    IMO it's MeasureUp to be wrong or at least not clear/specific enough in the
    question. I've noticed the same error about the SO allowing direct upgrade
    to XP. MeasureUP considers upgradable WINNT4.0 which is not exactly true.
    Only WINNT4.0 + SP5+ is.

    Pincopallino, Sep 16, 2007

  3. "Pincopallino" <> wrote in message

    > "Matt Wheeler" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > >
    > > "Pincopallino" <> wrote in message
    > >> The MCDST textbook says:
    > >>
    > >> "Another reason to use multiple partitions is to isolate operating
    > >> systems
    > >> from one another when you install more than one operating system on a
    > >> computer.
    > >> Although it is technically possible to install some operating systems on
    > >> the same
    > >> partition, Microsoft does not recommend or support this practice. You
    > >> should always
    > >> create a separate partition for each operating system."
    > >>

    > >> Thus, installing two OS on the same partition is possible but (obviously)
    > >> not
    > >> recommended.
    > >> Among the the MeasureUp MCDST questions one includes among the
    > >> possible answers installing XP and 98 on the same partition but it is
    > >> considered a WRONG answer.
    > >>
    > >> Who's wrong?
    > >>

    > > possibly neither, it depends on the question....
    > > If, for instance, the question makes reference to the XP install using
    > > NTFS, then, no, 98 won't work.

    > No, the question allows both NTFS and FAT32
    > IMO it's MeasureUp to be wrong or at least not clear/specific enough in the
    > question. I've noticed the same error about the SO allowing direct upgrade
    > to XP. MeasureUP considers upgradable WINNT4.0 which is not exactly true.
    > Only WINNT4.0 + SP5+ is.

    Without the question, we do not know the scenario.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Sep 17, 2007
  4. Pincopallino

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:e$b3hiN%...
    > "Pincopallino" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> "Matt Wheeler" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> >
    >> > "Pincopallino" <> wrote in message

    >> > possibly neither, it depends on the question....
    >> > If, for instance, the question makes reference to the XP install using
    >> > NTFS, then, no, 98 won't work.

    >> No, the question allows both NTFS and FAT32
    >> IMO it's MeasureUp to be wrong or at least not clear/specific enough in
    >> the
    >> question. I've noticed the same error about the SO allowing direct
    >> upgrade
    >> to XP. MeasureUP considers upgradable WINNT4.0 which is not exactly true.
    >> Only WINNT4.0 + SP5+ is.

    > Without the question, we do not know the scenario.
    >
    > --
    > Michael D. Alligood,
    > MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

    Don't forget also that this is a Microsoft exam and, as such, they will
    expect you to answer the questions the "Microsoft way". Therefore, as
    Microsoft don't recommend installing two OS's on one partition, they will
    consider such an answer to be wrong, even though it is technically possible.

    Regards.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Sep 17, 2007
  5. >>... they will expect you to answer the questions the "Microsoft way".

    You mean there really is another way?!?!?!? ;P
    --
    Chance Webster
    A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP , MCSA

    Chance Webster, Sep 26, 2007